I need to stop dropping my lights :(

My SL 4AA gets dropped rather frequently and today, I found two of my eneloops are dented on the negative terminal quite severely. I should stop dropping my lights. Even if the light is undamaged, it can be quite harmful to NiMH cells :(

Illum

Flashaholic
use the lanyard or put some rubber bands on it to make it grippable

I've only dropped by 4AA once...and that was using the flashlight after eating pizza:ohgeez:

farmall

Enlightened
I saw somewhere on CPF someone used skateboard grip tape on their flashlight.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put sections of bicycle inner tubes on my lights to increase grip. Shown (left to right) are:

HDS Basic 42XRGT
Dorcy 1 watt CR123A
Inova X5
Inova XO2
Streamlight 4AA Propoly Luxeon

inner-tube-lights.jpg

Last edited:

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
While Sport Tape ($1.99 or so at Walmart) isn't the most pretty thing you can use, it DOES increase the grip. And as a bonus makes cold aluminum rather more comfy.

I've never felt the need to put it on a plastic light as of yet...

Illum

Flashaholic
:wow:

sometimes what really works in terms of grip basically ruins the artistic features of the flashlight's design...inner tube would be one thing:ohgeez:

Newuser01

Enlightened
parnass said:
I put sections of bicycle inner tubes on my lights to increase grip. The Streamlight 4AA Propoly Luxeon is shown on the right:
Putting up a picture without labels are just asking for trouble!
What is the first light on the left ? (short little black one.) And nice inovas you have got.:rock:

For Dorcy super 1 watt, this is a great idea. I'll be getting some sport tape for it since it never had a way for lanyard or holster. Now I just use it as it is loose in my pocket. I need to find a way to secure the dorcy with sport tape and make shift land yard (from old cel phone) so that they don't get banged up (too late!) in my pants pocket.

But For the SL PP, I have not dropped it yet. I would surely be better grip with bicycle tube. I'll do that too.

They will look gheto!!! But who cares if that stays in the tool box:laughing::laughing:

Regards.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Illum_the_nation said:
:wow:

sometimes what really works in terms of grip basically ruins the artistic features of the flashlight's design...inner tube would be one thing

How would a bunch of dents and scrapes look after you drop a slippery light? :laughing:

Illum

Flashaholic
parnass said:
How would a bunch of dents and scrapes look after you drop a slippery light? :laughing:

dents and scrapes show the sign of a hard working light....
okay, you got me there:laughing:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Newuser01 said:
For Dorcy super 1 watt, this is a great idea. ..... I need to find a way to secure the dorcy with sport tape and make shift land yard (from old cel phone) so that they don't get banged up (too late!) in my pants pocket.....

Add a few O-rings (sold at Home Depot plumbing dept.) to the Dorcy's body (as seen on my HDS B42XRGT above). Then you can tie a lanyard to an O-ring or two. The Dorcy's body has deep grooves -- ideal for holding O-rings.

WNG

Enlightened
Drop those dented NiHMs into a rapid charger. The heat of charging caused the dent to be popped back out on several AA's I dented in a CMG light.
YMMV of course.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only to minimise entirely droppinglites is to keep it on shelfs!! Only joking!. It happens, but I appreciate maglites/surefires as they are designed to be abused.....

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've dropped my SL PP 4AA several times switching from overhand grip to underhand. It's sitting on the shelf and I of course grab it like you would a drink, and reach my thumb up to click it on. I'm not sure what happens but when I maneuver it to the underhand position, I sometimes drop it. :ohgeez: I'm gonna have to take a look at my batteries. :laughing: