Advice on new washing machine?

Newuser01

Enlightened
Hello, CPF?
I'm looking for some advice on a new washing machine around $400 to $500 bucks.
I currently own a GE model (about 10 years old- or less) and it required a service in about a month after I bought it. It had some thing to do with the belt not tensioned correctly and it was making a banging noises when it ran.
Now it broken again and the 5 year warranty I bought had run out!! :thumbsdow
So would it be better to try to fix the old one? In addition to the belt(this is my guess what is broken.) is the the timer dial is very stiff to turn. So I'm leaning toward buying a new one.:naughty:

Now if I buy a new unit it would be around the 1/2 grand price point. Good reliable unit and should be energy star rated. Is there any units like that? Probably not front load as they are very expensive.

I tried some searches on the web and I found crap.
Any recommendations is greatly appreciated.

Regards.

Samoan

Enlightened
Newuser01 said:
Hello, CPF?
I'm looking for some advice on a new washing machine around $400 to $500 bucks.
I currently own a GE model (about 10 years old- or less) and it required a service in about a month after I bought it. It had some thing to do with the belt not tensioned correctly and it was making a banging noises when it ran.
Now it broken again and the 5 year warranty I bought had run out!! :thumbsdow
So would it be better to try to fix the old one? In addition to the belt(this is my guess what is broken.) is the the timer dial is very stiff to turn. So I'm leaning toward buying a new one.:naughty:

Now if I buy a new unit it would be around the 1/2 grand price point. Good reliable unit and should be energy star rated. Is there any units like that? Probably not front load as they are very expensive.

I tried some searches on the web and I found crap.
Any recommendations is greatly appreciated.

Regards.

I'm a fan of the Kenmore units from Sears. Smae as the Whirlpool right next to it but sppreciably cheaper. Find the features you want/need and then find those at the proce you want.

When I bought my house lasst year I didn't have any appliances. I tried most of the appliance stores and ended up at Sears. A few thousand later I had a fridge, microwave, stove, washer, drier, and dishwasher. Most had the Kenmore tag on them. For the stove and microwave they were out of stock on the Kenmore units so the manager matched the Kenmore price on the sove and MW.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have used Fisher Paykel washer/drier for about 1 year now...

http://usa.fisherpaykel.com/

The washer has been problem free... The first drier had problems lighting the gas flame. After a couple service calls, they replaced the whole drier and extended the warranty (based on the new drier).

Washer: Has soak cycle (makes about a 3 hour cycle) and uses very little hot water (fills only about 1/6 full and sprays hot--extra soapy water--on cloths--then fills rest of way with cold for normal wash. No belts or clutches (direct drive servo motor). Very fast spin dry. Also use the delayed start (TOU electic metering). Auto water level works well.

Drier: Got the top load + Natural Gas version--is very nice for access and transfer of cloths from washer to drier. Dries very fast (version I got has multiple moisture levels--set one less than normal dry is usually enough). Really like the automatic lint bucket with fine mesh. Drier vent has been very clean.

Saw the insides of the dryer during service--pretty easy to work on and replace parts. Problem with not lighting gas was probably related to a bent and/or mis-designed burner/igniter sheet metal baffel. Replaced everything else and still had problems. Replaced whole dryer and problem was gone.

One thing--check for shipping damage for anything delivered to your home and don't let them leave it at your place. I rejected one and the driver left it behind anyway after I told him to take it back (he was trying to be nice--because I did not have a drier anymore). Caused some confusion (and short tempers) down the road (with the store personnel)--but they did come through fine in the end.

I have had the set only for a year or so now--but they are still working fine. I did put a power strip on both washer and drier to turn them off--the pair draw about 8 watts in standby (using a kill-a-watt meter). That is over 70 kWhrs per year just for standby power. (washer and drier together used roughly 40 kWhrs of electricity over six months for a family of four--about 6.2 kWhrs per month for washer and drier--we do line dry quite a bit too and shut the power strip down when not using).

-Bill

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
We've had real good luck with Whirlpool washers. The latest unit is about 15 years old now, with no problems. This is a top loader.

Geoff

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you interested in a solid, reliable machine or lots of bling-bling nonsense? Most of the good washing machines of years past have been discontinued in favor of short-lived trash that'll sell quickly on the showroom floor. I'm dead serious, it's nearly impossible to find a mechanically sound washer.

GE's like yours aren't flimsy junk, but the designs aren't good for the long haul. The transmission design is complex and wears quickly, and isn't worth fixing. If it's just a belt I'd fix it. If it's some major internal issue I'd replace it.

The best new ones from a design/maintenance standpoint are the top-loading Kenmore/Whirlpool machines based on the direct-drive transmission. It's a proven mechanism that's been in use for around to 20 years. The only trouble you're likely to have with it is the motor coupler breaking, but that's a $15 one-hour repair.

Possibly the greatest design of all time was the twin-belt Maytag. Sold until around 1999. Ultra-simple, easy to service, and dead nuts reliable. Hardly any moving parts. I went out of my way to get one three years ago, and found a mint 1985 model for $40. It should last another 20 years without major issues.

Newuser01

Enlightened
I like to thank everyone who chimed in. And there are some to consider and ponder.
Now If If I was looking for a washing machine without transmission and belts (Direct drive), how do someone go about it? Other than asking the sales man who knows crap?:thumbsdow:thumbsdow

My old GE unit I don't think is worth fixing with the timer problem and the belt. Its time for a new machine.
I've taken my walk thru Sears and looked thru some of their machine. I think I like maytag machines that cost around 4-5 bills. Do any of you have any thing to say about them?

I will stick to simple dial operated top loading washer.

TIA for all advice!:rock:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of the Whirlpools are the direct drive units. They still have transmissions, just no belts.

I think the current Maytag top-loaders are the ones with an all-plastic geartrain, with twice the number of parts to make up for the reduced strength.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is an older link asking about new washers (front loaders and others):

CPF Front Loaders Archive

The Fisher Paykel is a true direct drive (no transmission/belts/etc.). There is a little "floating block/clutch" that disconnects the motor from spinning the drum (just dasher when filled with water).

Here is a link with pictures of a Fisher Paykel washer being disassembled so you can see what is inside.

And here is the CPF of the washer-drier world. It is a fun and interesting read.

-Bill

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Maytag Neptune and an old top-loading Maytag from the 70s.
The toploader will probably last forever, but its hard on clothes (like all toploaders).
The Neptune is also big enough to wash quilts and sleeping bags, and uses less water & detergent.

I use the Neptune for most laundry. The old toploader I keep around for
washing freshly-tiedyed stuff.

Last edited:

Newuser01

Enlightened
Thanks again for all of these helpful reply.
I will check out the costco washing machines. And also the "The Fisher Paykel" which their web site indicated that HD carries them. Hopefully they have it on the show room just to look at? My brother has a Neptune washer but I'm not about to spend that much $.

Wish me luck! It's about between the costco (Whirlpools) , HD (The Fisher Paykel) and Maytag from sears. Are the Maytag machines direct drive?
The condition tho still should cost about 500 or less. We'll see. If you have any other suggestion , tell me.

Thanks!!

Last edited:

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Newuser,

We ended up checking Consumer Reports. I found a Whirlpool set that was within 1 number of the model they had tested.

So far, so good...

Tom

Newuser01

Enlightened
Yeah, Neptune is out.

I've been reading up on sears and other sites. I can't find any of the Whirlpools having a direct drive no any of the units having any good reviews. And neither does Maytags. Haven't checked with Costco yet. It's next than to HD.

Tom, would you tell me which one you got? [If I can get you to walk to the dark/cold garage!! hehe]

Tx.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thankfully my washer/dryer still works fine. They're both older than I am. A washer with more capacity, or more efficient would be nice, but I'm going to stick with them for a while.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
maytag neptune=crap.
i get stacks of boards in here for repair.just about every part failure blows up a board.
wax motor failures and moldy door seals too.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the biggest problems they have with them are in the 3ph motor controller. What a mess.

All the top-loading Kenmores in the $250-500 range should be the older direct-drive design.

not2bright

Enlightened
Newuser01,

They might be a bit over your price range but the front loader LG units are incredible.

The motor is actually part of the drum as in the windings are attached to the drum. The lower end units (a few less settings and features) are close to your price range.

We replaced top of the line Kenmore W&D with the LG's and could see the difference in our water/sewer bill. We use much less detergent and they use less electricity. I think many units do this now, but the dryer has a sensor that knows how much moisture is in the exhausted air and shuts off when the moisture drops. Most units were/are timed and continue drying until the time expires.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
66RW.f.jpg
--
Rapid Washer
Much more effective than hand-washing alone. Raise and lower Rapid Washer like a plunger. The special internal baffle sends water rushing through clothes to flush out dirt. Tin plated steel head with reinforced rim. Handle of northern fir. 28 1/8"Lx8 1/8"OD, 2 lb, USA made.
This item is tin plated steel and it will eventually rust if it is not dried after each use.

http://www.lehmans.com/shopping/pro...DUCT&iMainCat=673&iSubCat=674&iProductID=2758

..and don't forget to check out a "James Washer" -- http://www.gaiam.com/retail/product/63411

Last edited: