L2T came today!

Priestly

Newly Enlightened
Well, amid all of the great mod-talk and excitemnt over the new LEDs poised to empty the pockets of Flashaholics everywhere... My first real LED light came in the mail today!

First, let me thank everyone here at CPF for taking the time to test out and offer their thoughts on all of the brands, types and mods! I've been lurking for the last four or five days, digesting all of your hard work and good thoughts and I want all to know that the discussion really helped me reach a decision on what was an unknown subject to me just last week.

I decided on the Fenix L2T as my first LED (minus a couple of bluish clip-on lamps I bought offhanded) light for a couple of reasons.

I recently changed jobs and found that I needed to have a reliable, bright, unobtrusive and long-burning light source with me at all times. While I was out surfing for tool sites, I came across CPF. It wasn't long before I was drawing up my list of "hastos" for the light.

It had to have enough kick to throw a decent spot across the inside of a drop-ceiling. It had to have enough floody goodness to catch the sparkle of a drip from a roof leak where I wasn't looking. It had to have enough turn-down to not blind me when I was working up close with it. It had to burn a good long time as backup batts could be six floors below at the curb in my car. The batts to run it had to be "Gettum Anywheres". It had to not break my budget. It had to be durable enough to withstand me dropping it in a toilet or on the floor. Last, it had to be well thought-of by this expert community.

So the L2T came in the mail today and I was so excited to get the news from Miss Significantly Other that I forgot to buy batteries for it on the way home from work. I threw a couple of Maxell 1.2V, 1850mAH rechargeable Ni-MHs in it "just to see" and, wow! I'm a happy boy! :grin2:

Thanks again to everyone who offers advice and opinions here on CPF.

Oh yeah. One question... What would be the best batteries to feed this thing? I'd like to get a good mix of low power run and high bright but I'm willing to give up a little on the run time.

Thanks again.

Priestly

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
#1 welcome to CPF, hope you have deepppp pockets ;).

I have the L2S and L1T and I feed them Duracells and get good results, I dont do rechargeables, who knows why, lol.

I hope it serves you well, I have noticed that they both tend to be a bit finiky wit the high low change, as far as position of the switch. They drop to low often. For some reason it seems to get worse when the batteries get a bit drained, not sure why.

Bozzlite

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF Priestly. The L2T is an excellent selection. Uh, that's based on the fact that I have the L2P. I'm sure they have very similiar qualities and performance.

The best batteries to feed them are IMHO, NiMh rechargeables. I use the Energizer 2500 ma. And I have had very good luck with them. The Powerizer brand available from Batteryjunction.com has also given me good service. You can also find some decent chargers there.

The initial cost of NiMh rechargeables is more than alkalines, but in the long run, you will save money. Up to 500 recharges. And they seem to actually give a slightly longer run time on a charge than a set of brand new alkies.

The NiMh rechargeables are better if you use the light on a daily basis as they do have a small self discharge rate. So, if you plan to use the light infrequently, such as only once or twice a month, the alkaline batteries would be a better choice. But it sounds to me like you will use this light as an EDC, so go with the NiMh. Due to the regulated circuitry of the L2T, you will not lose any lumens because of the lower voltage of rechargeables.

coppertrail

Enlightened
Hi Priestly - Welcome to CPF. I know the feeling, I couldn't wait to get home from work as the "Misses" ;) informed me that my new Fenix lights had arrives. In my case, I forgot to charge up my AA cells last night :)

The L2T is an awesome light. The L2D CE is an great light as well, albeit the infamous "ring" that's also present in the P1D CE. The new mode/level changing with the L1D CE/L2D CE is, in my opinion, awesome!! If you "catch the bug", you'll be purchasing more Fenix lights shortly. Enjoy your new light!

gunga

Flashaholic
Hello! The L2T is a great light. I had it for a bit, but am switching to the L2D (new toys and tech).

I suggest Sanyo Eneloops if possible. They currently seem to be the best compromise between Alkalines and nimh.

ALso, the reflector is sealed/loctited in the L2T head. Generally you can't unscrew it, but I'm sure some one has done it here. Just do a search.

paulr

Flashaholic
If you're using the light a lot, use just about any NiMH rechargeables. Of course the higher capacity ones won't need recharging as often, but the light will run a pretty long time either way. The cells will discharge themselves over the course of a few months but you'll be recharging much more often than that just through normal usage.

If you're just using it once in a while, Eneloops self-discharge much more slowly, though they cost a bit more.

Finally there's alkalines, which won't perform nearly as well as NiMH on the high setting, but they're easily available everywhere. I'd just use cheap ones rather than paying 3x as much for 10% more capacity.

Last edited:

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Priestly said:
I recently changed jobs and found that I needed to have a reliable, bright, unobtrusive and long-burning light source with me at all times. While I was out surfing for tool sites, I came across CPF.

Welcome, you'll love the L2T. If you pick up an L1S body, a 14500 cell and charger, then you'll have an L2T performer with the L1T form, and rechargable to boot.

Just out of curiosity, what do you do?

Priestly

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the welcomes and replies!

Valpo Hawkeye said:
Just out of curiosity, what do you do?

I may have sounded a bit dramatic but I'm a new hire in the building maintenance field.

Many of my company's buildings were built in the early part of last century and the job is inside/outside/all weather.

Thanks for asking!

Bullseye00

Newly Enlightened
The L2T was my first "really real" flashlight as well. It's a great light, and I think you'll get a lot of use out of it.
With the L2T you'll get more run time out of NiMH batteries than alkaline. They're more economical as well.
If you find yourself charging those Maxell 1850's really frequently, I'd get a set of Duracell 2650 mAh batteries at Walmart or Walgreen's for about $10. If instead you find your batteries going flat more from sitting than from use, I'd try
a set of Rayovac Hybrid AA's. They can be had for about $9 at Walmart.
That ought to be enough to get you started.

Be sure to read as little as possible here unless you want an expensive habit. ;)

gunga

Flashaholic
I aggree. Unless you will be charging your batteries frequently, I think a hybrid or Eneloop is a good idea. Nimh has better current characteristics and run-time vs alkaline. Alkaline only wins in price and shelf-life.

Hybrids/eneloops change that.

In any case, a fine light, you will be most pleased!