Energizer Hard Case Tactical Impressions and Pics.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
Energizer Hard Case Tactical Flashlight

Somone posted a news story link in the General Flashlight thread about this new Energizer Hard Case Flashlight. Doesn't look like too many places are selling it right now. I did find it here:

http://65.108.202.216/Merchant2/mer...&Product_Code=FG-EHCTF&Category_Code=010-GEAR

I tried calling Engergizer about it, but apparently it's so new that they don't even have any info on it. I'm tempted to buy one, but I'm not sure if I'd say it's worth $70.

If anyone has any thoughts on this new light, feel free to chime in...

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Re: Energizer Hard Case Tactical Flashlight

Something about Energizer & Tactical doesn't sit right with me... They're great around-the-house or workplace lights, but I wouldn't trust this thing if I was a soldier, as they say it's meant for!

Maybe for the workshop, but a light that has similar functions would be the Kroma Milspec - I wonder which one would last longer out in the field... :thinking: :laughing:

john

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast

ace0001a said:
I'm tempted to buy one, but I'm not sure if I'd say it's worth $70.

Agreed. Unfortunately for Energizer, their reputation hasn't been built on the sale of premium lights. I think the most expensive Energizer light I've seen was $8.88 at my local grocery store. $70 is a stretch for this brand name.

This light looks like a modernized take of the old military crook-neck flashlight. Neat concept though, but like you, will have to handle one before considering laying down the $$$$.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast

scott.cr said:
Agreed. Unfortunately for Energizer, their reputation hasn't been built on the sale of premium lights. I think the most expensive Energizer light I've seen was $8.88 at my local grocery store. $70 is a stretch for this brand name.

This light looks like a modernized take of the old military crook-neck flashlight. Neat concept though, but like you, will have to handle one before considering laying down the $$$$.

The news report I saw about it did say that it was meant to replace the old crook-neck standard issue military flashlight. The Engergizer rep I talked to on the phone told me that their Hardcase flashlights are their "premium line of flashlights". But seeing how she didn't have any information about this particular model, seemed to be a moot point for me. I am curious about this flashlight though and the flashaholic in me makes me want to buy one just to have it in my collection. I just can't get myself to shell out $70 for one.

Martini

Enlightened

If you ignore Energizer's track record, it sounds pretty sweet. I can actually believe that it was designed for military (IR strobe is not a commonly desired mode). I wonder what materials (other than steel) are used?

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well that's the thing is that they've always just been a general consumer market flashlight maker more towards the low end. With that being said, there's nothing that says they can't make a decent higher end product either. For this flashlight more specifically, it's suppose to replace the standard issue crook-neck flashlights which have been around forever. I don't even know who makes those. I called a local Military Surplus store here and the guy told me he always stocks the standard 2D versions and sells them for $10. Now that to me sounds like an awefully cheap flashlight if the military supposedly would still use it. I would think anything would be a vast improvement on the old standard issue military flashlight. Hopefully more places will start carrying this one and the price will drop as I think $70 is a bit steep.

carrot

Flashaholic

I like the "survives a 30' drop test" part of the specs. If that's really true, it'll be one tough light.

Jorge Banner

Newly Enlightened

Isn't it peculiar that googling for the light or the code brings nothing?

Has anybody dealt before with this seller?

frasera

Newly Enlightened

my 6led energizer headlamp is weak. don't have much hope for that thing

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*

Maybe I am reading the link wrong however I do not see where this new light has an incandescent bulb at all.....only a few different LEDs. Even if they were better quality LEDs would this light be able to really replace the current military version.....seems to me like it should at least be a hybrid design of some sort to allow low lighting 5mm LEDs as well as a higher power incandescent

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast

By "tactical" I guess they mean it's useful for looking at maps while deciding what to do. I mean 2AA can only do so much...

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast

Still, to me it already seems like a vast improvement over the old bent-necked flashlights. Here's a link to the story from an Eastern Carolina news station website:

http://www.witntv.com/news/headlines/4981956.html

Too bad it wasn't cheaper. And I wonder what kind of white LED it uses. This could make for an interesting mod for someone with the skills...

FirstDsent

Enlightened

Robocop said:
Maybe I am reading the link wrong however I do not see where this new light has an incandescent bulb at all.....only a few different LEDs. Even if they were better quality LEDs would this light be able to really replace the current military version.....seems to me like it should at least be a hybrid design of some sort to allow low lighting 5mm LEDs as well as a higher power incandescent
Its only 3 volts. Which will produce more light on 3 volts, incandescent or LED? I'm assuming of course that there is something like a Luxeon LED as the primary lamp.

"Higher power incandescent? My Cree modified Nuwai QIII produces over 100 lumens on 3 volts using a BadBoy Nexgen 1000 driver. SureFire's brightest 3 volt lamp produces 15 (fifteen) lumens. That's only a little brighter than a MiniMag. Their standard 6 volt lamp produces 65 lumens. That's only as bright as the stock QIII. Do you lament the obsolescence of incandescent lights in lower voltage applications?

Bernie

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*

By higher power incandescent I was attempting to say that I did not feel as if the military would adopt a 5mm LED based light as a primary duty light.....there would almost have to be some sort of incandescent lamp figured into the design somewhere.....at least this is how I see it as the majority of officers and military alike will agree that for a main duty light there is almost no substitute at all for a good incandescent.

Now before everyone flips out saying that this is not true I also have very many more Luxeons and LED lights than I do incandescent and I use them every night on duty and have so for 10 years now. I always resort to my incandescent first and then my luxeons as back up lights....they always just seem to throw better and from experience each has its place but nothing will beat a high power incandescent.

This is not what this thread is about however I was trying to give some info on why I wrote what I did about this light not having an incandescent option. Even the old style crooked neck light will put out more light than any single 5mm LED if this is indeed what the above light uses......I just do not see any 5mm based LED light replacing an incandescent if the incandescent is of average quality.

On a side not I do like the color scheme of this new light and it does look to be very well built if nothing else......kind of big for only 2 AA batteries and I did not even realize that was the power source until just now.

AlexSchira

Enlightened

Bit of an odd move for Energizer to start doing higher-end lights...But they seem to somewhat know what they're doing with this one. Multiple levels, different color beams, infared, it's very rare to get all that together let alone off a common cell type at under a hundred dollars. Not as good as the Kroma, but what honestly is? I have to touch and try one first, but on paper it seems military-capable and is a huge improvement over whatever they're issuing nowadays. Not sure if I'd buy one for myself, the angle-head format is still just weird to me.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast

AlexSchira said:
Bit of an odd move for Energizer to start doing higher-end lights...But they seem to somewhat know what they're doing with this one. Multiple levels, different color beams, infared, it's very rare to get all that together let alone off a common cell type at under a hundred dollars. Not as good as the Kroma, but what honestly is? I have to touch and try one first, but on paper it seems military-capable and is a huge improvement over whatever they're issuing nowadays. Not sure if I'd buy one for myself, the angle-head format is still just weird to me.

Like Robocop, I wonder what the main white light is. I mean if it's 5mm LEDs, I just can't see it being that useful either. I would think they'd consider sticking a Luxeon in there. I believe with the proper optics, you can make a LED throw just about as far as an equally rated Incandescent. As for the angled head, it's adjustable, so you orientate it like a standard flashlight too.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast

If it was cheaper it might be fun to mod it into something with a little kick.

Monocrom

Flashaholic

$70?

I'd rather spend the money on a Surefire, if I was being shipped out..... Sometimes the easy choice is best.

Jorge Banner

Newly Enlightened

ace0001a said:
Like Robocop, I wonder what the main white light is.

There would be no justification for it not to be as good as, let's say, an XM-3, also a 2 AA ligh. And that's pretty good for this kind of light. In fact, if that was the case IMMO, it should have at least one low mode. The XM-3 throw is too much for the only mode of a mil light. Of course it has the red LED, but I would still want a low mode or a filter like the lights it is supposed to replace, include.

I like the looks. It it's any good, I want one.:popcorn:

FirstDsent

Enlightened

Monocrom said:
$70?

I'd rather spend the money on a Surefire, if I was being shipped out..... Sometimes the easy choice is best.
Which SureFire will you order for $70?

By the way, this site is the only place I can find this light. I can't even tell how big (or small) it is. It may be quite small.

Bernie

Last edited: