Convert Cyclops 15mill cp to HID

lv6l

Newly Enlightened
hi i want to know if anyone has or can do a complete write up(with pictures) on how to convert a cyclops 15 cp to HID. i already have a 9006 size bulb(dont know is this h4 or h7 or what) with ballast. what else do i need, can the stock bulb handle a ballast? or do i have to change the bulb as well. also how do i do the wiring and do i need to change the battery or which one do i need. i'm new to this forum so sorry if this has been cover many times. if so please give me a link to the write up. thanks.

sorry for being a noob but can someone tell me how do i view my threads that i have created. like if i come back the next day, where do i click to go to a link to see all the threads i created. thanks.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
To check on this thread....at the top right, under thread tools go to (subscribe to this thread) when you want to check on it go to the top left hand corner where it says (user CP) there you will have access to all threads subscribed to. As far as your project goes.....you will need an HID specific bulb. A regular bulb will not work. There is a HID specific catagory that you can look in...or use the search and try to find old threads containing info.

lv6l

Newly Enlightened
oh thaks. the subscribe thing works real well. this forum is a bit differnt from other ones i've been to. thanks for that help.

anyone else have any clue of what i should search for for this project. because i did search and a lot of people post up stuff with abreviations and i dont know what those stands for. so any help would be great. thanks again.

lv6l

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the site. that help. but can somone show me how the wire is done? i order the cyclops 15mcp already but it hasn't come home and i never saw inside one. so when i wire it is it just the "button high" wire into the "hot wire" ballast and the ground to a ground? or what do i do. pictures would be great. thanks.

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi lv6l,

The Thor 15M has alot of room to play with, but even then its advisable to go for a setup involving a ballast with internal igniter. Well known brands like Philips make quite small and light-weight ballasts that easily fit into the Thor.
Looking around on the web, you can even find (more expensive..) 35/50watts boost-ballasts.

For my HID-Thor, I settled for a more expensive, but very easy, lighweight solution: The Auerswald SYS03510 ballast. 35/50watts boost, on which power can be increased easily to 43/65watts !!

hidthor1jw5.jpg

The only thing needed is to make a ballast-mount directly at the back of the reflector. I used a plastic ring that was lying around.
The bulb fits directly into the ballast: no high-voltage wires to worry about.

Even the switch-setup on the Thor doesn't need to be changed!

Upper switch: On/Off, Lower switch: Hi/Lo

hidthor2an0.jpg

hidthor3oo9.jpg

As you can see, I've created an extra charge inlet: Fused at 6.3 Amps, I can use it as a 12volt outlet, or to charge the SLA-battery directly with a constant-voltage charger. This works better then with the internal charge-electronics! In fact, the constant-voltage charger (13.8volts max) doesn't need to be disconnected when the Thor is fully charged !

The battery must be kept fully charged at all times to prevent the forming of sulphates! Sulphates cause permanent capacity-loss!

So charge the Thor after every use, no matter how short !!

For me, the Thor still is the best host for a HID-mod: Everything easily detachable, lots of room.

If you are going to use a standard automotive ballast, it needs to be placed in the white plastic battery-compartment cover. Somewhere at CPF I've seen pictures of how to do this.

If you have any remaining questions, please ask..

Regards,

Ra.

Last edited:

lv6l

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the info Ra. the thor 15mcp spotlight should be here in a few days and i already have a ballast and light bulb from a automotive HID kit. but the size of the bulb is 9006. do you know which bulb will fit or can i make my 9006 fit in the thor's housing? also how does the wireing go? the HID kit; the ballast has two wire coming out, one for HOT and one for GROUND. where do i connect those wire into the thor and can the stock battery handle all of this and do i just recharge the unit as normal?? thanks in advance.

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Thor has a H-4 lamp..

I think that a search on Ebay will provide you with many manufacturers that sell 35watt H-4 HID bulbs.

Be ware that you need a D2-S bulb.. Not a D2-R !! (D2-R is a shielded bulb!)

Regards,

Ra.

lv6l

Newly Enlightened
yes i'm familar with the HID area. i see some that is H4 but the shield is a piece of metal outside around the bulb. can i just cut that part off? then it will still be a H4 size but a D2S bulb. because correct me if i'm wrong but i have seen H4 size bulbs that has the shield either wrap onto the bulb or the shield inside the bulb; or maybe i'm mistaken the H4 with the 9004 size bulbs. either way thanks for the info Ra.

btw can you explain to me how the wiring go. all this time from the begining my main purpose and problem for this is i do not know how to do the wireing for the thor. i have done a couple HID retrofit for automotive so i'm familar with the HID light source area but i'm not confident enough to wire the thor and dont want to mess anything up. so Ra if you can quickly explain to me which wire goes where when i wire up the thor with HID that would answer all my questions. thanks.

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
The wiring is not that dificult:

First disconnect the wires from the SLA-battery at the back of the Thor, then desolder the wires from the two switches: From the inside, with some force, you can push the switches out for easy acces..

I assume the ballast has 12volt DC input wires '+' and '-'.
The + can be connected directly to the (fused) + of the SLA-battery.

The '-' wire should be connected to the upper one of the two switches at the side of the Thor: Seen from the front of the Thor, it should be connected to the far most pole of the switch.. The middle-pole of the switch needs to be connected to the '-' of the SLA-battery.

The lower switch remains for backup or for boost, if aviable..

Use at least 2.5 square mm wires, if possible, go for 4 mm2 wires.

I'll look for info on bulbs shortly...

Regards,

Ra.

lv6l

Newly Enlightened
oh thanks again Ra that helped a lot. i get most part of it. just a bit still confuse on which wire to use. if i go to an electonric store or an electrician they should know which wire you are talking about right?

if you could provide a local place i can go to purchase the right stuff and right amount that would make it a lot easier for me. thanks in advance.

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think its best for now to wait for your Thor to arrive..

I think some of the above will be clear when you have opened the monster.
And its easier to guide you through the process if you actually see the inside of it.

And.. If you have the capebillity to make and post pictures of the wiring of the ballast and the inside of the Thor, that would be helpfull..

Regards,

Ra.

lv6l

Newly Enlightened
alright, sounds good. usps tracking is not so clear so i'm hoping it will be here in a couple days, the weekend is almost here and they normally are closed. so if not this weekend then the begining of the next.

lv6l

Newly Enlightened
i got my cyclops 15 million candle power today. and yes it is very big. but looks cool. ahah. ne ways. Ra i was wondering can i somehow get a 9006 size bulb fit in the thor's reflector housing and wire it up to run only the "high" mode button and leave the "low" tucked away? will this be safe and do i need anything extra?

oh does anyone know when i can start posting up pictures? or can i do that already.

lv6l

Newly Enlightened
Ra,

i put together a HID kit off a car. here are some pictures. i ran it for about 20 min. and everything seem to be fine. but a bit after 20 min. it started to blink really fast, iono is the battery low or not because i did not charge it, just took it out of the box and so i dont know if the blinking is a sign of low battery, but about 1 min. afterwards i turn it back on and everything works as normal. here are some pictures to make sure all the wireing i did will be ok for me to make everything permenant and tape up. thanks.

oh yeah..i use 9006 size bulbs and the clip it came with and it works pretty well. color is 8000k. also everything seems to work fine but when i shine it for far distance the diameter of the beam is sooo wide. anyway to adjust this so it can shoot farther and tighter?

DSCN0273.jpg

DSCN0274.jpg

DSCN0275.jpg

DSCN0276.jpg

DSCN0278.jpg

Last edited:

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats lv6l !!

You see: Patience will be rewarded !!

I see you already solved a few probs. However, indeed the 9006 bulb has a focus-problem: The arc-chamber is off by a few mm compared to the high-beam filament of the H4.. So you need to reposition the bulb.

I assume (based on experience) that the 9006-bulb is too far inwards..

You must compare the bulbs and determine how much the difference actually is. Then you must make a ring of a material that can cope with temperatures of about 140 degrees centigrade.

Maybe its a good thing to first determine if the H4 bulb that came with the Thor is properly in focus: At a distance of about 10 meters (30 ft) the beam must have a clear hotspot in the center.

Ofcource the thicknees of the ring must be equal to the difference in hight of the 9006-arc compared to the H4 high-filament. I think that you have to bend the clip in order to fit bulb+ring.. Do not force it in steep angles: it meight break !

Another thing you can try is to detach the clip and use some sort of isolated tool to move the 9006 in-and outwards, to determine the optimal focus. Tho the wires are isolated, I think that its not wise to grab the base of the bulb with bare hands.. 85Volts does't kill you, but if the ballast finds a reason to reignite the bulb.. well, I think the 23 kV warning on the ballast is clear about that. The slightest imperfection in the wire-isolation is enough give you a quite deadly dose of volts !!

I see that the ballast fits nicely ! Is this the ballast you are actually going to use, or is it just one for a first test?

And: Recharge the battery..

Any questions ???????????????????????????????????????

Regards.

Ra.

Last edited:

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh,, I forgot to mention:

Do you like the 8000K colortemp?? Being more a "white"-lover, I use 4300K bulbs, they have better colorrendering and higher lumens output !

With HID above 4300K: The higher the colortemp, the lower the lumens-output !!

Regards,

Ra.

lv6l

Newly Enlightened
no i preferr 4300k or 6000k but i had this old bulb and didn't want to buy any new ones. yeah i'm planning to put a few washer over the bulb to bring it more outwards and figure out someways to hold it at that distance.

but as for the wireing, is it safe how i wired it? i didn't do what you said. i was trying something quicker to test really quick but it end up working somewhat very nice but was not sure though. thats why i ask you to check. all i did was replace the "-" wire and plug it into the ballast's "-" and the ballast's "+" into the "high" wire of the button. everything else is left alone.

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think your wiring is ok..

But to be on the safe side: Can you make a closeup of the wires on the switches? Then I can be shure !

Regards,

Ra.

lv6l

Newly Enlightened
i finish up my project today. i use a few washer that fit over the bulb but still within the hold for the light. i use flexible metal wires to tie everything in place. it seem to work very well. everything seem to be working fine. i ran the light for about 40 min. until it started to flicker really quick and i turn it off and back on, then it works fine again. i still dont know why it does that. but all of this is not on a fully charge battery and the runtime is already at least 40min. continuously! but if anyone can explain why it flickers it would help. here are some pictures. thanks for everyone and Ra for all the help.

DSCN0291.jpg

DSCN0289.jpg

DSCN0288.jpg

DSCN0286.jpg

DSCN0283.jpg

DSCN0281.jpg

DSCN0300.jpg

DSCN0298.jpg

DSCN0301.jpg

DSCN0306.jpg

DSCN0307.jpg

oh i'll try to get some picture of it on and how it looks. people around here get mad when i shine a bright *** light around the block or the beach.