Software to send message on local network?

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I'm looking for suggestions on a simple freeware prog to broadcast messages from a single Access Point to no more than 5 clients on that tiny network.
:thanks:

Carpenter

Enlightened
Windows has that built-in.

It's called messenger. Several years ago, people without firewalls would receive popups on their computer, even when IE was closed. This was caused by spammers using the messenger service to send messages to people just like the e-mail spam of today. The original purpose was for system administrators to send messages to users about upcoming network activity "Printer X is broken. Use Printer Y". Ever since the spammer attacks, M$ now has this service turned off by default. It's easy to turn back on but if your using XP SP2, you will need to allow the port through the firewall. I don't know what port # thiat is off the top of my head.

h_nu

Enlightened
If it's a Windows network perhaps net send in a DOS box is all you need. I have a small applet somewhere called msg.exe that sends messages even if Messenger is disabled but I don't seem to have the documentation on this PC.

Marc

Newly Enlightened
Net Send is builtin Windows

The syntax of this command is:
NET SEND {name | * | /DOMAIN[:name] | /USERS} message