How hot do 15W led flashlights get?

KillingTime

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Putting together a tri-Seoul P4 in a 2c m@g w\PTS. Running them all in series at 1A (14~15W incl converter heat).

I was wondering if people with anything similar (tri-luxV?) could shed any light on how hot these lights get with extended use?

Too hot to hold after 45 mins? OK to leave on for say 45 mins without holding?

I'm trying to decide whether it's worth the hassle of getting the head finned for heatsinking.

Many Thanks.

Nereus

Enlightened
I have built 2D mag with 4 Lux3s running at 1 amp. That's some 16 watts. In room temperature the mag head gets 50-60 C hot in continuous use - you can touch it but you do not want to hold it in your hand for a long time. According to my experience ~16 W of heat is pretty much the upper limit the 2D mag can take in continuous use.

Remember that these are room temperature figures. If you are going to use your mag in hot environment you have to lower the wattage accordingly.

-N

Last edited:

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
About finning the head, take a search about it. Member "Modamag" did a few great pictures with a thermal-camera.
The result wasn't that great like expected.
My Trilux III -Mag mod doesn't get hot, warm but still comfortable to touch the head.
Most important is a good heatsink with best contact to the body (thermal-paste, fitting).

Best regards

______
Tom

KillingTime

Newly Enlightened
Some outstanding work by ModaMag:

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?mode=hybrid&t=115232

What he is basically saying is that if you hold onto the flashlight then your hand is a much better conductor of heat than a finned head will ever be if the flashlight does not move around much.

If there's no hand involved, then a finned head will help, but by how much depends on the flow rate of air past the heatsink / flashlight body.

Hmmm.

Given that M@gs are hand held, I would say I'll give the finned head a miss for now.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Erasmus said:
I think you can use the heat at this time of the year ;)

:lolsign: Sorry for my laugh but at my location the circumstances are weaker in therms of light-cooling:grin2:

Best regards

____
Tom