glo-toob fx/gtl?

flash_bang

Enlightened
I was wondering when the expected release date is for the lithium glo-toob, I was looking on CPF a little, and I saw expected release dates all the way from last October-December. The glo-toob site says around february. It also says it will have 11 modes, does anyone have an idea about what these 4 extra modes could be?

If it seems like it isn't going to come out soon/price begins to be a problem for me, then I was thinking about the FX that runs on the 23A battery. Luckily I can find 2 packs of these for about $2.50. I was wondering if anyone out there had made a little list of the modes' power usage. I think 100% on is the most power consuming mode, and slow strobe is the least, but I was wondering if anyone could fill in the blanks.

thanks a ton,
flash

r0b0r

Enlightened
Why on earth did they go for the 23A instead of AAA lithium or CR2 ?

flash_bang

Enlightened
ok, I checked those threads, jumpmaster…but no luck. All of them say october of last year.

@r0b0r, I'm thinking maybe b/c of the high-ish (12) voltage. the 23A would've been awesome if they had a lithium version, but I s'pose the 123A is the closest thing to it

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you try the google search at the top of the page? There are more threads, but I don't have time to look right now. Last I heard was they were releasing it at SHOT 2007, but I wasn't there so I don't know if they did or not.

Use the google search up top...

Here (cached version of the thread that appears to be missing now...pages 1 through 5):
Page 1
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
Page 5

JM-99

Last edited:

PB92

Newly Enlightened
I received an email from them yesterday asking when they will be out, they told me summer of this year..........:-(

r0b0r

Enlightened
flash_bang said:
@r0b0r, I'm thinking maybe b/c of the high-ish (12) voltage. the 23A would've been awesome if they had a lithium version, but I s'pose the 123A is the closest thing to it

But LED's operate ~3.5V ...

LowTEC

Enlightened
PB92 said:
I received an email from them yesterday asking when they will be out, they told me summer of this year..........:-(

LMFAO!!!!

They delayed the light almost 2 years and now more?

I don't see how hard is it to make one of those with a 123 body honestly, considered they made 2 other versions before.

flash_bang

Enlightened
OMFG!!!!!!!!!!! what's the deal??? if they don't release it by may, I'll just get the other version…

@r0b0r: don't worry, I actually have no idea why they didn't start with 123's, I'm just pulling @ strings

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, I'm impressed PB92 got an email from glo-toob!

I sent them two emails and got no reply.

Their website still shows February is the date of release of the new product, but nothing beyond that. I've been updating the website every now and then and there has been no change whatsoever.

Plus, they have practically no info on the new CR123A formfactor, other than a "technical" diagram which has almost no useful info.

I hope they don't delay until summer! That WOULD be a bummer!

heliyardsale

Newly Enlightened
flashy bazook said:
well, I'm impressed PB92 got an email from glo-toob!

I sent them two emails and got no reply.

Their website still shows February is the date of release of the new product, but nothing beyond that. I've been updating the website every now and then and there has been no change whatsoever.

Plus, they have practically no info on the new CR123A formfactor, other than a "technical" diagram which has almost no useful info.

I hope they don't delay until summer! That WOULD be a bummer!

LMAO, I guess they will never make a 123A or AA light... Makes no sense to me. I gave up on waiting, I'm looking for an alternative... Any recommendations?

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
heliyardsale said:
LMAO, I guess they will never make a 123A or AA light... Makes no sense to me. I gave up on waiting, I'm looking for an alternative... Any recommendations?

that's the thing, for what they make they are a near-monopoly.

and there are advantages into standardizing a series of lights into the CR123A formfactor, quite apart of any possible runtime/light strength advantages it might have.

personally I think I'll have to wait upon their timetable, even if I AM bummed should the timetable slip yet again. Maybe there are good reasons for the delay of which we are just unaware.

LawLight

Enlightened
I spoke with a rep. They advised that it will probably be Fall of this year before the light actually makes it onto the market.

LawLight

bigfoot

Enlightened
The e-mail reply I received also stated this summer. Sounded like some production issues cropped up. My guess is the Fall date is probably right on for dealers to finally get them.

Oh well, so much for getting excited about February! :ohgeez:

flash_bang

Enlightened
oh my god, this fricken sucks!!! well, I have a source for the weird size batteries for about 2.50 a pair, so if I can find the FX in a store near me then I'm GTG. the closest radioshack sells them for 8 bucks a pair, talk about price difference!

lates,
flash

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
flash_bang said:
oh my god, this fricken sucks!!! well, I have a source for the weird size batteries for about 2.50 a pair, so if I can find the FX in a store near me then I'm GTG. the closest radioshack sells them for 8 bucks a pair, talk about price difference!

lates,
flash

I was in one of those camera stores recently, and noticed they were selling CR123A's in packs of one. So I asked the store clerk, how much?

He said, 9 dollars.

I couldn't help it, I started laughing.

I mean, I thought maybe for an expensive store, 5 dollars for a pack of two, or for a really really expensive store, 9 dollars for a pack of two, but not what these guys were charging!

I don't know where we'd be without the internet, probably in the poorhouse!

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
first, many thanks to glo-toob - they've finally responded to my emails. Got good info from them:

• production already started, but there is some delay as they want to make sure quality and quantity are good
  • new release date: April
  • end-of-April will also have online sales available (meaning from glo-toob)
  • on current plans, the lithium version will have 11 modes
  • the package will have two caps, one the clicky, the other the most waterpoof type (twist action cap)
  • they said that they amended their website, but to me at least it still looks the same
  • problem with responding to emails may be related to server trouble they had.
OK, so I at least am happy with this news, delay to April is better than to Fall (as some other posters had heard earlier), the news on the technology side also sounds good, and having both caps in the package sounds great!

can have the waterproof twisty for when needed, and the more easy to use and convenient clicky otherwise.

For sure I'm getting several of these when they finally become available.