Spy 005 Question *Added Beamshot Pics With SSC P4*

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy all you crazy flashlight modding guys!
wink2.gif
grinser2.gif

Anybody taken off the bezel on a Spy 005? I`ve already got a SSC P4 in it but I need to get the relector out and shorten it a little to focus with the P4 and fit back together right. The lights bezel is NOT being very cooperative.
rant.gif
yellowlaugh.gif
What did you use to get ahold of the bezel and not damage it?

Thank you
smile.gif

Ken

IMG_3567.jpg

Level 6 Left Spy with P4 and Right stock Spy
IMG_3572.jpg

Level5
IMG_3575.jpg

Level 4
IMG_3574.jpg

Last edited:

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Spy 005 Question

The bezel is probably locked thru epoxy. Try heating it up first.

You might want to contact Dave before you do any major surgery to the light. It's quite an intriguing design with all the hidden locks.

Last edited:

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Already done all the surgery but get the bezel off.:grin2: It is probably glued but I can`t get ahold of the bezel is my real problem. I guess I need to run to the hardware store or Sears and see what tool I can find that will grip the bezel from the inside by the lens pushing out. Like pliers but working in reverse.

Ken

Doc

Enlightened

You have to put it face down on some rubber and with pressure turn and unscrew the ring. I dont think it has any glue. Doc.

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Doc said:
You have to put it face down on some rubber and with pressure turn and unscrew the ring. I dont think it has any glue. Doc.

I couldn`t get that bezel off and then I used my brain!:huh2: I have two other Spy 005 lights so why not try removing the bezel from one of those lights???:ohgeez: :twak: The first one I tried came off no problem. :eek: Not sure why the other bezel is not coming off though since you didn`t glue them but no worries.:)

Thanks,
Ken

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast

bombelman said:
How is the result ?

I probably shouldn`t tell you because then I know what is next:ohgeez: .... BEAMSHOTS RIGHT?:rant: :lolsign:

I would have to say that all my Spy 005 are awesome to me but this one :rock: :grin2:

ibcj

Enlightened

Bring on the beamshots Ken ! :rock:

This is one light that I've been giving serious thought to for some time. Some killer beamshots might just push me over the edge. :huh: :popcorn:

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast

nystrpr said:
Bring on the beamshots Ken ! :rock:

This is one light that I've been giving serious thought to for some time. Some killer beamshots might just push me over the edge. :huh: :popcorn:

Oh man, I just can`t win.:ohgeez: I`ll take some beamshots in a while my friend.:)

Ken

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nah, don't really care about beamshots....
Until everyone takes beamshots at the same distance with same camere exposure en iso settings, beamshots are unreliable... I can make you believe a 3mm led is brighter then a Cree......

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast

bombelman said:
Until everyone takes beamshots at the same distance with same camere exposure en iso settings, beamshots are unreliable... I can make you believe a 3mm led is brighter then a Cree......

I had it pegged again!:ohgeez::rant: :lolsign: That would be nice with beamshots you are right.:thumbsup: I have enough lights to do it all and set a standard but ..... I wont!:nana:

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,

bombelman said:
Agreed - and even then, different colored walls, different white balances, aiming the light straight at the wall... for me, it only serves as a rough guide for comparison's sake against another light - a beamshot on its own doesn't do much!

Although, I'm all for putting Ken through the motions!! :nana:

john

Last edited:

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast

jch79 said:
Agreed - and even then, different colored walls, different white balances, aiming the light straight at the wall... for me, it only serves as a rough guide for comparison's sake against another light - a beamshot own doesn't do much!

Although, I'm all for putting Ken through the motions!! :nana:

john

John, never agree with me!:nana: :lolsign:

I like beamshots that are a side by side comparison in the same photograph for all the reasons you mentioned. Oh doo-doo, now I am agreeing with you so......:rant: :nana: Since I can`t win! :shrug: :buddies:

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast

jch79 said:
Great - now how 'bout them beamshots! :laughing: :touche:

OK, what time do you log out?:nana: :touche:

I need a beer BAD!:rock: Also I am on super slow dialup to upload pics for posting here so:whistle: ..........not soon! Hehe! OK, I`ll post some I promise.:) TRUST ME!:grin2:

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Ken-
I didn't see that you posted pics! Awesome job! :thumbsup:
Is the lowest low too bright?
:) john

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
jch79 said:
Ken-
I didn't see that you posted pics! Awesome job! :thumbsup:
Is the lowest low too bright?
:) john

I stuck the pics in without bumping the thread so.... :nana: :lolsign:

All the levels are great to me. Level 4 with the P4 emitter matches level 6 with the Luxeon. The Spy is an awesome light. Now I have one that is just a little more AWESOME!:rock:

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome job! :thumbsup: How much would you charge for doing the mod for those of us with two left thumbs & otherwise technically-challenged? :eek:

Anyway, will be sending a SPY005 your way soon... ;) Thanks.:)

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
So Ken, how did you remove the bezel of the one that was stuck?

Nice beamshot BTW. :twothumbs

I love the intriqueing design of the light if only I can muster the funds for one of those on the BST. One of these days, then I'll send it to you for modding with your "dremel" :D