So long, little buddy

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Feeling pretty bummed right now. My almost 16 yr. old cat Weston had been mostly just laying around for a couple weeks, eating and drinking very little. Took him to the vet a couple days ago. They found some kind of tumor in his belly. I couldn't see subjecting him to uncertain surgery. Took him back today. Now he's in a better place. I plan to make a little headstone for his spot in the backyard when I get home. Here he is a couple years ago one last time.

Weston1.jpg

Geoff

COMMANDR

Enlightened
I feel for you my friend, my pets are very precious to me as well. Let me share a writing by a naturalist on animals.

We need another and a wiser and perhaps a more mystical concept of animals. Remote from universal nature, and living by complicated artifice, man in civilization surveys the creature through the glass of his knowledge and sees thereby a feather magnified and the whole image in distortion. We patronize them for their incompleteness, for their tragic fate of having taken form so far below ourselves. And therein we err, and greatly err. For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren, they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth.

Henry Beston

Gary

Last edited:

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's such a shame, but its' good you had an extra day with him. When I went to my parents to do laundry one day our cat was very sluggish and not at all like herself. Mom took her to the vet when I left, and I found out the next day that she was severly dehydrated, and had kidney trouble. Our mom decided the best thing to do was put her to sleep right there, rather than start some special program for her and prolong her pain. I miss her so much and still catch myself looking around for her when I go there.
I'm grateful I atleast had those few hours with her before she went to the vet, rather then getting a call about it the next day.

Here we are a few years ago, chillin'-

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Geoff

You gave him years of comfort and care and he in turn gave you friendship that only a loving cat can provide.

Wait awhile before you find another cat. Who knows, maybe a British Blue will come scratching on your door one day.

Marty

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Thanks for picture Geoff - Weston looked like a cool cat. It makes me want to go home right now and let Oatie bite/scratch up my arm for a while...

mg0566smrw4.jpg

:) john

WNG

Enlightened
Geoff,
Sorry about your lost. This is sad news, I'm bummed too. I remember this pic from another thread, and thought to myself, wow, what a handsome devil. Cool cat and great photo. I know how it feels to lose such a noble friend. Never easy. But find comfort in knowing Weston was loved and he loved in return, for 16 wonderful years.

ChocolateLab33

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown.

Sorry for your loss.

goldenlight

Enlightened
My deepest sympathies for the loss of your longtime furry companion.

As a long time cat lover, I've had to say goodbye to two cats; Lucky (a tuxedo), at 16 years, and Blizzard (all white!) at 18 years. I know your pain.

Psychologists have done studies that show losing a pet you were very close to is the same in emotional pain as losing a family member.

Weston was certainly a beautiful cat! I'm glad you had a good long time with him! (Of course, that only makes it harder....).

I hope the pain fades soon, and you remember all the good times with Weston.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flying Turtle - Condolences, there are no words that can soothe your pain at times like this, only the hope that time lessens the ache.

ChocolateLab33 - That is absolutely beautiful. Thank you for sharing that. And I'm stealing a copy of it, I've just got to have a copy of that one. Thanks again.
EDIT Just googled "Rainbow Bridge" didn't know that there was a cottage industry around that poem. But still appreciate your sharing it.

goldenlight said:
Psychologists have done studies that show losing a pet you were very close to is the same in emotional pain as losing a family member.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if it had a greater impact in some cases, as family members can get somewhat alienated through separation. It may very well be on par with loosing a child in some cases, and to make it worse, it re-occurs since the pet's lifespan is usually less than a human life. For us, it's very painful to lose one of the dogs every 10-15 years, and am reminded of that eventuality whenever a new dog comes home.

Last edited:

TorchMan

Enlightened
Condolences on your loss. That's a great photo of him. You were lucky to have each other.

I know the rainbow bridge all too well, with dogs and cats. Some lived long, others died young. It hurts to lose them, and the wounds are deep. I'd do it all again, in every case, even knowing how and when it would end. They were all worth it.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Thanks for all your kind thoughts folks. Reading them brought back a few tears, but I'm getting better. Had to catch myself a few times expecting to see the old boy up on the bed or sneaking out the back door.

Geoff

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife and I have six cats and a German Shephard, and all are a part of our family.

I feel the sadness of your loss from afar, and I wish you well.

:grouphug:

Chronos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am sorry for your loss. We lost our 15+ year old blonde Lab Kasmir late last year just after the Holidays.

Led_Blind

Enlightened
:( I feel your loss mate. When my cat passed at the vet i took him home and buried him in the back yard to.

In time you will remember with fondnesss the time you had :)