My Fenix L1D-CE is dead!?

Schizoid1

Newly Enlightened
Had a long post about batteries that I deleted. Seems the problem was the bezel was unscrewed just a little too much. I think I loosened it trying to find the best beam but now the bezel is too loose. I didn't suspect the bezel was the issue because you can unscrew it all the way and the light remains on. I'm confused, but for now it looks like this Fenix is reborn. What should I use on the threads to keep the bezel exactly where I want it?

EDIT: See below

Last edited:

mchlwise

Enlightened
Re: Fenix L1D-CE is dead!?

I'd try tightening the switch retaining ring. I received mine on Monday, and playing with it the ring loosened up to the point that the switch was working intermittently.

Tutorial:

1) Remove the tailcap as if you're going to install a battery.

2) Look inside the tailcap. You will see a spring in the center, surrounded by a silver-colored ring. The ring has two holes or dimples in it. These are what you use to tighten it.

3) Find something that can fit into the holes. I have some small Asian scissors used for gardening that work well. My wife has some jewelry pliers that come to points that work better. Anything like that should work.

4) Put your improvised tool into both holes, and twist - tightening the ring. The ring should probably be pretty tight.

Hopefully this works.

If there's friction on the ring (which there always is because the contact between the ring and the body of the light is necessary for it to work) and the ring's not tight enough to overcome the friction, it will loosen up. This can happen to the point where the switch isn't properly making contact.

Let us know how it goes.

:popcorn:

EDIT: I forgot your other issue - I have a circle on the contact in the head of the light also. I think it's normal, and I seriously doubt if it's the cause of your problem.

Schizoid1

Newly Enlightened

Thanks Mchlwise. You were one of the few that read my post before I found the problem and edited it. If the problem turns out to be more than the bezel being loose, I'll try what you recommend. There must be a proper tool for that somewhere.

mchlwise

Enlightened

Schizoid1 said:
Thanks Mchlwise. You were one of the few that read my post before I found the problem and edited it. If the problem turns out to be more than the bezel being loose, I'll try what you recommend. There must be a proper tool for that somewhere.

:grin2:

I think the tool is called a spanner wrench, but I don't have one.

I'll leave my post as is, in case someone comes looking for a solution to a problem with their Fenix. It could help someone. :shrug:

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast

Needle nose tweezers do the job.

Anything from 30p-£1 in UK. Try markets, £1 shops.

Put finger in between tweezer arms for spacing, before twisting.

Schizoid1

Newly Enlightened

It's dead again. I don't think it was the bezel being loose anymore and i'm looking closer at the switch retaining ring as suggested. My local electronic shop and an Ace hardware store didn't recognize a "spanner wrench" as a tool for the job. I've been using 2 small screw drivers to try and tighten and loosen the ring, but no luck in getting it to light.

What else can I try? Thanks.

Schizoid1

Newly Enlightened

I was trying to avoid that since I really liked the light when it was working! I'll ask for a replacement. I'm just surprised I haven't read of anyone else having a similar problem. Hopefully it's just mine.

Outrider

Newly Enlightened

An excellent tool for for the switch retaining ring is the General Tool #408 bent nose tweezer. Works just fine on my L1P, L1D-CE and the P series. Should be fine for other Fenix lights as well. These can be found by doing a google search for General Tools Mfg Co. I found the best price on Amazon (same search). If you are near a Frys store they have a cheaper looking pair in the "tools and soldering" section, not on their web site btw. I paid approx
$ 14.50 for 2 including shipping. They work great. Hope this helps

Schizoid1 said:
It's dead again. I don't think it was the bezel being loose anymore and i'm looking closer at the switch retaining ring as suggested. My local electronic shop and an Ace hardware store didn't recognize a "spanner wrench" as a tool for the job. I've been using 2 small screw drivers to try and tighten and loosen the ring, but no luck in getting it to light.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've found some cheapie needle nose pliers from Harbor Freight - about $1 work fine for a lot of things like this. They've also got Jaxa tools for around $10 for bezels and such.

jc28841

Newly Enlightened

The correct tool would be a pair of needle-nose pliers or circlip pliers.
Had this problem with the original L1P. A pair of small needle-nose pliers worked quite well... good luck :)

Schizoid1 said:

myk

Enlightened

jc28841

Newly Enlightened

Yeah the retaining ring pliers are the circlip pliers I was refering to :)
If you want to confirm the tailcap/switch as the cause, you can always remove the tailcap and touch the negative terminal of the battery to the metallic rim of the body with something metallic, making sure to apply some pressure so the positive terminal touches the LED driver. If it lights up, then there's something wrong with the tailcap/switch...

Schizoid1

Newly Enlightened

jc28841 said:
Yeah the retaining ring pliers are the circlip pliers I was refering to :)
If you want to confirm the tailcap/switch as the cause, you can always remove the tailcap and touch the negative terminal of the battery to the metallic rim of the body with something metallic, making sure to apply some pressure so the positive terminal touches the LED driver. If it lights up, then there's something wrong with the tailcap/switch...

It didn't light up. Damn. Nothing else looks wrong to my untrained eye. I'm waiting for a response to see about a replacement.

HowieG

Newly Enlightened
I had a problem with my light too. Seemed that when I tried to insert one of a pair of 14500's, the light stopped working with one and not the other. It also worked with AA alkalines, AA lithium and AA NiMH batteries.

I found that the solution was to loosen up the bezel just enough to let the battery drop in the tube a little deeper to make contact and then tighten to a normal operating position.

Now the problem happens from time to time and the light appears to be dead but it corrects itself with this trick.

Good luck.

wakibaki

Newly Enlightened
You can make a tool for these type of screwed fittings from a piece of pipe using a file. Obviously you need a pipe of the right diameter. Just file away the rim for a 100 thou or thereabouts (depending on the depth of the holes) leaving 2 prongs on either side. You can use a piece of rod in some instances (if there's no protrusion in the centre of the fixer), you just have to file more.

Smaller ones can be dealt with by grinding out the centre of the tip of a cheap screwdriver.

w