L2 & L4 Heads The Same????

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The L2 has a dumb head void of electronics that are in the body of the flashlight ... whereas the L4 sports the KL4 head that has all electronic stuff on-board and can be transered to other E-Series compatible platforms ... while the L2 head cannot. At least it cannot be used properly, meaning in regulation.
bernie

Kiessling

Flashaholic
You're welcome :)

There once was an "error" light that made it through QC at SF ... it was a L2 head on L4 body ... and people used it (knowingly) with 2 x Li-Ion cells for a blinding brightness in direct drive modus without regulation. It was overdrive for the poor LED.

bernie

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lately, quite a few KL4s, L4s and the likes cropped up in the B/S/T section. KL1 i thinks throws further than KL4 but KL4 gives more output and floodier than the KL1. This comparison was also mentioned in a different thread. Just bear in mind that KL4 could not take 2 x R123 3.7v cells, but 3.0v primaries are ok. KL1 no problem with 2 x R123 3.7v.

All the best

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kiessling said:
There once was an "error" light that made it through QC at SF ... it was a L2 head on L4 body ...
Wouldn't that be an L1 head on an E2L body? Running a Luxeon V on a pair of CR123A cells isn't really that much overdrive at all. People used to run Space Needles (Lux V on 3x CR123A) all the time.

edit: A little research show the "Error" E2L was an L2 head on the E2L body. So, I guess I'm half right. Since the E2L body is the same thing as the L4 body (only with different markings), I guess Kiessling is completely correct. Regardless, I still stand by my comment that 2x CR123A doesn't seem like much overdrive for a Lux V.

Last edited:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Ty ... those insane geeks (that would be our CPF brethren :D ) did not use 2xCR123 but 2xR123 Li-Ion cells for a nice overdrive.
bernie