TnC 27mm Light Build Finished! But DOH!

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the pictures speak for themselves. Beautiful light, very nice smooth machining and love every aspect about it.

The Subject:
imgp1138us4.jpg

Looking down the reflector end of things, I machined off 0.76mm as don prescribes to give it focus:
imgp1139it0.jpg

Building the light engine involves extreme care to not short out anything. Very nice! At 500ma on high and 50ma on light, 1x18650 should give me very decent runtimes. No hesitation to take it out and use it for a long time.
imgp1140au7.jpg

Seoul P4 Led:
imgp1141qg5.jpg

Now the DOH part!! I ordered the wrong battery tube. I ordered 18500 when I only have 18650 cells! I can't use this light just yet but I did try it for a few minutes. The beam is very tight with a very bright hotspot so goooood for throw but the sidespill is very large and bright as well.

Cheers!

cm048

Newly Enlightened
Nice to see your post, I plan to build TnC 27mm with Seoul P4 too.

I am wondering why you choose piglet over Flupic, should I expect angry blue Seoul P4 when going to burst mode ? Burst mode is 1.2A right ?

I am also thinking about cree+McR27XR. I feel more comfortable to drive it at higher current. But I am not sure about its beam.

Not easy to choose between Seoul+McR27L and Cree+McR27XR.

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
I choose the Piglet because it gives me 500ma constant. I don't want to overdrive too much just for the sake of runtime. Actually thinking about it, I should have probably chosen the flupic for this one because i'll be using 18650 li-ion exclusively.

I haven't noticed that angry blue yet so shouldn't be a problem. The flupic has around 1A . The cree is much harder to mod just because of the thermal pad and solder not adhearing too well to the top pads.

cm048

Newly Enlightened
Probably stupid question; why you need to machined reflector off. Why don't simply turn canister to make emitter 0.7mm higher.

LED Zeppelin

Flashlight Enthusiast
cm048 said:
Probably stupid question; why you need to machined reflector off. Why don't simply turn canister to make emitter 0.7mm higher.
The 27L reflector used in the SF head does not have the larger clearance hole that the McR27 and the McR38 do, so the reflector will bottom out against the emitter shroud and won't allow the emitter to sit higher. Unscrewing the LE can will simply not allow the head to thread down fully.

cm048's idea to use the McR27XR could work this way, unscrewing the LE to raise the Cree, but heatsinking would be adversely affected and also the dimension from LE cell contact to spring would increase, so some compensation there may be necessary.

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
:ohgeez: You can use an R123 cell with spacers, just to already begin using this light...

ianb

Enlightened
Goldserve, nice light :thumbsup: I have one of the very same set-up on the way, but I definately have a 18650 tube :D . They are a good looking light. I was thinking of using your flupic as well with a P4, I have notice much less 'angry blue' driving the p4 at 500mA, than at 1A where it was 'noticable' :ohgeez: . But luckily I have a few W0 tint P4's on order from AW, one will go in this one :rock:
Sorry you got the wrong tube :( , cutting edge flashaholism is all about waiting for the next package in the mail :D ( unless you can lathe yourself something :grin2: )

Ian :)

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy Kevin!:wave:

Very cool light and nice work on it of course!:rock:

About that "DOH" part.:ohgeez: I can swap you an 18650 tube for the 18500 if you would like?:) I am thinking I need some more Flu...? drivers from you to play with anyway!:grin2: I can mail you the 18650 tube this morning if you want so let me know. Haven`t made up my mind yet and which Flu...s I want. :thinking: Hmmm... That sounds wrong????? No Flu just drivers PLEASE!:laughing:

Ken

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kenster,

No worries, you are too kind. Bogus1 will set it straight for me. It's just killing me to wait for a new tube =D Anyhow, a dummy battery will be made today and I will see some action tonight :naughty:

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was like what the heck...I'm going to be running off of 18650s, why not boost the current? =D Now it's at 750ma on high and 50 on low. The hotspot looks to be blindly bright compared to my seoul Aleph 2 head and seoul HDS with MCR-20 reflector in it.

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool! I find the Seoul much easier to work with because there isn't really anything needed. Well, the reflector had to be cut back 0.03" and the canister raised a little as well.

Cheers!

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats Kevin on the beautiful piece of mod. :twothumbs
Much better than our my horrible machining and chicken scratch on a napkin.

Now you GOT to TAKE that job in the Bay Area so we can have the conglomerate of EE and W2BHS machinist.

goldserve

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haha,

Am I reading W2BHS - Want to Be...Machinist? I learnt from the best =D Damn...it's too fun..gotta go back and machine more today =D