Dark ring fix for LxD CE lights

zeeexsixare

Newly Enlightened
To paraphrase what's being said, you can unscrew the head slightly using a rubber band on the fore part and the aft part of the head.

In more detail, look at the three o-ring slots towards the front of the head. The one closest to the front is actually a parting line for the two parts coming together. Carefully unscrew these two parts about 1/2 turn (you need some force to break the glue on the threads) and the dark ring disappears. You lose some lumens since the emitter's further from the base of the reflector, but it works perfectly. On the other hand, the lens is no longer firmly pressed up against the front of the head.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or, Fenix could have put an orange peel reflector like they originally said they were going to when we all pre-ordered! :rolleyes:

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
How bad are the dark rings actually in real life? The beamshots I've seen so far has been fine, but wonder if they are deceptive compared to real life.

Bomo

Newly Enlightened
From my point of view, the rings don't bother me in actual use. I am satisfied just knowing that the reflector may be de-focused to get rid of the rings. I doubt I will actually do it tho. I'm pretty satisfied with the throw/spill ratio. Even on the low setting, the beam is adequate for navigating outside.

mchlwise

Enlightened
Lobo said:
How bad are the dark rings actually in real life? The beamshots I've seen so far has been fine, but wonder if they are deceptive compared to real life.

They're actually not that bad.

I've posted quite a bit about their existence, and there's no question that they do exist, but they're not a major handicap. I think it's important that people know about them so they're not dissapointed, but it really doesn't hinder the light.

As Bomo said, the hotspot/spill ratio is nice, and there is really only one major ring that separates the hotspot from the spill. Something I appreciate about the ring (if that's possible) is that it's nice and even. That helps because it's not as much of a distraction as it would be if it was uneven or a funny shape.

The more I use the light, the less I notice it.

Dan C

Enlightened
zeeexsixare said:
On the other hand, the lens is no longer firmly pressed up against the front of the head.

Not true. The reflector is actually threaded into the bezel and tightens up against the window, sealing the front end. Adjusting focus by partially unscrewing the bezel won't compromise waterproofing......

Dan C

zeeexsixare

Newly Enlightened
Dan C said:
Not true. The reflector is actually threaded into the bezel and tightens up against the window, sealing the front end. Adjusting focus by partially unscrewing the bezel won't compromise waterproofing......

Dan C

I understand that, but that isn't the case on mine. The glass becomes loose when the two halves of the head are not fully screwed together. I don't have a tool to tighten/loosen the reflector.

mchlwise

Enlightened
zeeexsixare said:
I understand that, but that isn't the case on mine. The glass becomes loose when the two halves of the head are not fully screwed together. I don't have a tool to tighten/loosen the reflector.

You can use some pointed scissors, or some needlenose pliers, etc.

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
zeeexsixare said:

You can use any small rod such as a size 0 phillips scredriver. Simply stick it in one of the holes in the reflectore and spin it tight.

bray

Newly Enlightened
well got mine today and unscrewed it a little. got rid of the dark ring but gained about ten others.. looks like a innova x3 with tirs