18W LED - for real????

tesseract

Newly Enlightened
Not really 18W, just a victim of the generic-light wattage inflation race.

mdocod

Flashaholic
if by some chance- they did find a way to waste 15 watts in a resistor somewhere there... (maybe in PARALLEL with the LED, to help SAG the voltage down the correct level for the LED)... Then after using the batteries a few times (they wouldn't last longer than about 5 minutes per charge), they would be ready to vent-with-flame.

[edit in] scroll down and compare the lux readings to the 7W golston... you realize now, that the wattage is just a bogus way to say "BIGGER!!!" "BETTER"...

sad thing.. when they start talking 20W LEDs, they could have dumped that many watts into a P91 and gotten about 500 bulb lumens, but instead they are going to dump it all into an imaginary land of fake wattage ratings!!! and come out with about a hundred lumens.

Last edited:

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a "7w" Luxeon flashlight. It consumes about 4 Watts off fresh batteries, and more typically about 3 watts. I think they are trying to use wattage in the same sense a lot of 15W CFLs are advertized as "60W equivalent" as a way to indicate the relative brightness, not real power consumption. To me it simply sounds more wasteful to have a flashlight consume that kind of power rather than as a perk, unless we were talking about something competing with HIDs... which is what I would want to see from a true 20W LED, but it's just marketing hype.

Last edited:

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
For you guys who want to take a look in to "High power" LEDs google Osram O-Star. I think the 10 or 15 Watt is their most efficient.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
By the way, I just looked again at the light you had linked. Looks like they want $35 for a Luxeon version of what Dealextreme is selling for $28 with a much brighter Seoul U-Bin LED:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1322

The dealextreme light draws 1A regulated, which is around 4W with the Seoul LED, and I bet it will run about double the brightness of the Luxeon "18W"

fluff34567

Newly Enlightened
haha thanks guys i thought it would be a complete load of BS..... especially for that price!!

brighter

Newly Enlightened
This exaggerations for example are comparable with cheap car audio amplifiers,
Labels like 5000w on car amp are humorous like those 18w leds. I'm not saying that sort of things does'nt exist, they do exist but are'nt cheap.

I'M DK

Newly Enlightened
FAQs
It can handle LIR123A 3.6/3.7V rechargeables and primitive CR123A!!

Got to love those "primitive" cells.

DK