Collecting stuff is relaxing for your soul!

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
Hello fellow collectors of all kind!

I recently listened on a radio program here in Sweden. It was about people and what they collected. One could phone in and tell others what they collected.
A common opinion among people that didnt collect thing thought that they who did collect stuff was a bit nuts.
So they phoned this guy who was an biologist and had written a book about stuff like this, and asked him what he thougt about people who collected stuff.
He said that collecting stuff was relaxing for your mind and soul! That people who collected felt more peacfeul than others, and the satisfaction of getting what you wanted for some time was very pleasing for your soul. I´m sure many of us have felt this feeling more than one time...

He thought that collecting stuff was very good, and that more people should do that, what you collecting wasnt so important, just that you did collect stuff.
People who collects things can make order in a world that otherwise isnt in order, you forget everything else when you seeking for the next thing you want, you forget yourselves and that is a very comfortable thing.

Maybe seems a bit weird but I think that many out there can relate to this.
At least I do!

It isnt we that are nuts! Its them who DONT collect stuff thats nuts!

Listening to this radioprogram made me feel even more comfortable with my knife/flashlights/gadgets collecting! IT IS SANE TO COLLECT it is scientificly proven! I think...

Bad news for all the wallets out there, but good news for all the people who have created a more peaceful inviroment collecting what you are collectiong!

Hope my writing and grammar wasnt so bad you didnt understand what I was trying to say...

Peace out!

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I used to have regular discussions/arguments with my old boss concerning my flashlight hobby. I would equate it to any other type of collecting. He had never collected anything, so he failed to ever understand. The only value he ever saw in collecting was to later sell an item for more than was paid. Maybe there's a collecting gene that makes us able to be more "enlightened".

By the way, your writing and grammer is excellent.

Geoff

blake711

Newly Enlightened
Man I have to disagree. My collection causes me to loose countless hours of sleep scouring forums, ebay and God knows where else. I am afraid to sleep incase something great shows up on the BST forum. I have the constant need to spend more and more money on my hobbies I think the guy is full of fooey.

Blake

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
Collecting things can be a burden on your wallet, but puts your mind at ease most times.
It can however go to a limit where its just plain unhealthy, the little buy-it-buy-it devil isnt a nice figure, I agree with you there. Since I became a member here in this forum I must say that its very hard to leave the computer screen for longer periods, as soon as the commercial comes on, I rush to the computer and se if theres som new stuff to read about, or just continuing reading....
I have also been hearing alot of complaints from my girlfriend, she think Im more in love with my computer than I am with her... :) thats not true!:whistle:

And thanks to CPF I have bought some really great lights that I am very thankful for! I really love my new lights and cant wait untill there are some new I want to buy!