MiniMagLED SSC P4/heatsinking mod?

zeeexsixare

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone done a SSC P4 mod on their MiniMagLED? EngrPaul? I will be getting one of these in soon and will pop in a stacked-up resistor to boost output to ~1A.

Since it'll get hot, is there any way to retain focusability while filling in the dead space between the circuit board/metal pill/body with thermal grease or something similar?

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I upgraded a 2AA version using the stock driver board and a copper disc from the Sandwich shoppe. I don't see any good filling the bullet case with anything, because it won't provide a new thermal path... only add thermal capacitance.

zeeexsixare

Newly Enlightened
EngrPaul said:
I upgraded a 2AA version using the stock driver board and a copper disc from the Sandwich shoppe. I don't see any good filling the bullet case with anything, because it won't provide a new thermal path... only add thermal capacitance.
Wouldn't something there be better than just the airspace that's sitting there currently?

I'M DK

Newly Enlightened
Engrpaul's reference to a copper disk is what you are looking for.
Filling the inside won't help you.

DK

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've upgraded MiniMag 2AA and 3AA, and a Mag 2C/D PR-2 replacement. All were done exactly the same way. You don't need the copper pill because the heads have no trouble screwing down the extra 0.030" to get focus. The mod just about doubles the light output.

c_c

ROVER

Newly Enlightened
If you wanted to properly heatsink this light, you'd need to turn a heatsink to replace that whole stamped metal pill. The shape and size of the driver circuit make using it tough to heatsink. I had an idea to cut a flat bar of aluminum which would sit under the LED and extend to the body of the light---to sink and conduct some heat, but it'd have to be so small to work with this light. This light just is missing the heart of a good mod host.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
i just got more seoul emitters today and just finished doing the swap on a tle5 and tle5k2 ,im just waiting till night to get a beamshot

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
about the copper riser ,wouldnt it be useless since the reflector only hits and stops at the top of black casing of led ,so it wouldnt be any advantage at all rising it only cons in losing more threading to screw down ,get me?

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
qip said:
about the copper riser ,wouldnt it be useless since the reflector only hits and stops at the top of black casing of led ,so it wouldnt be any advantage at all rising it only cons in losing more threading to screw down ,get me?
Yes, that's right.

c_c