LED Emergency Light

Sonus

Newly Enlightened
I am brand new to CPF and hoping you all can help me with this.
I have an 80 year old mother with glaucoma. She is legally blind. I have been looking for LED lights that plug into the wall outlet and act as night lights but when the power goes out they light up full strength. I am looking for 3-4 to light up the hall ways and 2 bathrooms. It would give her a feeling of security until I can drive over to her house to help her out - I live only a few miles away.
I saw one made by Feit on a website a while back but they were sold out and I couldn't find them anywhere else.
Does anyone know where I can find these?

DM51

Flashaholic
If she's very blind, weak night-lights may not be bright enough for her needs. A computer UPS could keep a few regular lights going until you can get over there to help.

speederino

Enlightened
Cyberguys has the good stuff!

http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?productID=10312

The one thing that always bothered me about security lights is that once the rechargeable batteries wear out, the whole thing is trash (unless you like hardware hacking, that is...). They usually contain some NiCDs that can tolerate being abused by the not-intelligent constant trickle charger. However, this one looks to be promising; the batteries are NiMH and are user replaceable. It's a little spendy, but as usual, you get what you pay for.

Sonus

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to all of you for your help. I really do appreciate it and so will my mother. I ordered a couple of the Sentina lights and should have them in just a few days.

Bullseye00

Newly Enlightened
A 500VA UPS will keep a 13watt compact fluorescent bulb going for 30 minutes or so. I've also seen a photocell switch that goes between the socket and bulb to turn on a lamp when it's dark. It's not the cheapest solution, but would give her almost the normal level of light in each room where you set it up.
You might also give her a small, very bright light (like a P1D CE or L1D CE) to wear around her neck.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bullseye00 said:
A 500VA UPS will keep a 13watt compact fluorescent bulb going for 30 minutes or so. I've also seen a photocell switch that goes between the socket and bulb to turn on a lamp when it's dark. It's not the cheapest solution, but would give her almost the normal level of light in each room where you set it up.
You might also give her a small, very bright light (like a P1D CE or L1D CE) to wear around her neck.
Caution Photocells that dim should not be used with non-dimmable CFLs as they can start fires or just kill the CFL quicker than usual.