What do you guys think of the Streamlight TL-2 LED?

Hallorann

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, I am brand new here, and a total flashlight newb.

Question -

I just placed an order on MidwayUSA for a Thunder Ranch Illumination System that includes the Streamlight TL-2 LED.

At the time that I ordered this light, I thought that it was the TL-3 (not LED). This was due to some incorrect information on Midway's website:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=763466

The question is do you think that the TL-2 LED is a good light, and worthy of 92.00, or should I cancel my order and look for something else? (Like maybe the TL-2 that is NOT an LED?)

Also, I noticed that on this forum the LED page is much more active than the General Flashlight Discussion page or the Incandescent page. What is it about the LED lights that causes the greater interest?

Thanks much for any help in advance!!

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lots of questions.

I have, or have had, all the lights you mention.

The TL-2 LED would be OK, but the lumens would not compare to the TL-2, or TL-3 Incandescent.

I'm ball parking here, the TL-2 LED would be 30+ lumens, the TL-2 Incan. about 60+, the TL-3 Incan.about 120 plus.

Advantages to the LED would be longer run time, but a lower output.

If you have not changed the order, try the LED, and see if it floats your boat, and then decide.

The increased traffic on the LED forum is due to major changes in LED output (Cree, and P4 LEDS).

If you just want to illuminate a close range target (handguns) the TL-2 LED would work for sure.

I'm an NRA instructor in a bunch of areas, if you will PM me, maybe we can talk a bit.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 2nd generation TL-2 LED is a great light. It has very good throw for a light of this size. I have an incandescent Streamlight Scorpion and I like the TL-2 LED better. For the record I also have the 1st generation TL-2 and its output is not very good.

An incandescent, like the Streamlight Scorpion, will put out more light than the LED, but it eats batteries faster and the incandescent bulb is subject to breaking under rough use.

VWTim

Enlightened
Once you factor in the DVD, if there's much material in there, then I think you did fine. I have a TL-2 Incan that I've used for a couple years, although I just transitioned to an E2E for the smaller bezel. I shot with a TL-2 LED one evening and in most weather it was just fine, although in heavy fog I found the Incan to penetrate better.
hth,

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are alot of other lights out there well below that cost which will outperform the Streamlight TL-2 LED. Unless you need the Thunder Ranch Illumination System I would hold off and look around first.
What are you looking for? LED, Incandescent, brightness, throw, flood, runtime?
Hallorann said:
Hi all, I am brand new here, and a total flashlight newb.

Question -

I just placed an order on MidwayUSA for a Thunder Ranch Illumination System that includes the Streamlight TL-2 LED.

At the time that I ordered this light, I thought that it was the TL-3 (not LED). This was due to some incorrect information on Midway's website:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=763466

The question is do you think that the TL-2 LED is a good light, and worthy of 92.00, or should I cancel my order and look for something else? (Like maybe the TL-2 that is NOT an LED?)

Also, I noticed that on this forum the LED page is much more active than the General Flashlight Discussion page or the Incandescent page. What is it about the LED lights that causes the greater interest?

Thanks much for any help in advance!!

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
The "tactical" series of Streamlights are well made lights. I had 2x TL-2 xenons, have TL-3 xenon, and have a Scorpion LED (same LED and electronics as the TL-2 and NF-2 LEDs). I sold both TL-2 xenons and kept the Scorpion LED. The output is in the 35-40 lumen range (my Scorpion seems brighter than my friend's). The reflector is well made for throw with a very tight hotspot. Output isn't as high as other LED lights available, but it's a well made light. Many of the very high output LED lights recently released are much brighter, but I feel the SL TL/NF-series are better made and something I'm more inclined to trust in the "need" situations. There are other well made lights similar to the TL-2/NF-2/Scorpion LED that I would trust including PentagonLight L2 and Pelican 2390 M6 that costs a bit more than the SL and output a bit more light, but the SL is a bit more compact than these. None of the US mfrs (SL, Pelican, PL, and SF) have yet released LED lights using the latest higher output LEDs, tho SF seems to be the first that will come out with them (but they cost quite a bit more also). There are non-US made offerings that are well made, but give up certain aspects such as true momentary clicky.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hrmm... Well, I've had a WHOLE bunch of 2x123 LED lights and to be honest, my first generation TL-2 LED is probably my third favorite and cheapest of my three favorites. It has a larger than average hotspot without getting a donut hole and my particular light is probably one of the two or three most honestly white tints I've ever seen. It also has decent runtime.

In general, there's nothing exceptional about it but the larger hotspot and VERY white tint seal the deal for me.

On the other hand, my TL-2 LED almost always sits on the shelf while my TL-3 Incand is one of my four most used lights and proably my most used in rural areas where the throw really comes in handy.

Hallorann

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone for the replies!

Some interesting info here. I decided not to cancel my order for the TL-2 LED, and it should be arriving soon.

Like bjn70, I also have an incandescent Streamlight Scorpion, and like it quite a bit. Up until this point, I've always used the C or D battery Maglites, and this Scorpion outshines them, and is a fraction of the size.

I also have and use daily a Streamlight Stylus "pen" light LED that uses 3 AAAA batteries. It does not compare to these others in terms of brightness, but it is one of those items that I will not leave the house without. It rides alongside an ink pen in a pants pocket, and is always there when I need it (daily).

You guys probably already know about the Stylus, but if not, check one out. I very highly recommend it.

Thanks again for the help. Looking forward to trying out my first 2x123 LED!

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like you've made up your mind. But on down the road, you really should pick up a TL-3 Incand. The Scorpion is nice, but the TL-3 is awesome! Esp if you can really use the throw. A lot of folks seem to want throw but often times, I think the actual need isn't really there. If you have any outdoor use where there is basically no ambient light (ie miles from even the nearest small city and not just outside your house) the TL-3 truly shines... pardon the pun.

Dijon

Newly Enlightened
I loved my TL-2 LED until I got my SF E2L. It is a good light and the CD with the Thunder Ranch Package is well worth it. The information on the CD is exactly what Clint teaches at Thunder Ranch, very straightforward no BS talk on how he uses a flashlight.

Keep the package on the way, check it out for a while and if you want something brighter just buy another flashlight.:grin2:

Hallorann

Newly Enlightened
Dijon said:
I loved my TL-2 LED until I got my SF E2L. It is a good light and the CD with the Thunder Ranch Package is well worth it. The information on the CD is exactly what Clint teaches at Thunder Ranch, very straightforward no BS talk on how he uses a flashlight.

Like you, I appreciate Clint Smith's straightforward approach. He seems to have a knack for boiling things down to the essentials, and communicates this very well. I ordered this Thunder Ranch package after seeing Clint explain the idea of the flashlight retention ring on a shooting program on TV.

Dijon said:
Keep the package on the way, check it out for a while and if you want something brighter just buy another flashlight.:grin2:

I am already thinking of complementing this TL-2 LED with a TL-3 incandescent. I see that they are available for 88.00 here:

http://www.copquest.com/10-6600.htm

Is this a good price?

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Amazon.com and a few other retailers (amazon is probably the easiest to find it tho) sell the TL-3 incan for about $50-$55 shipped. Take a look at those first. I love my TL-3 incan...throws like crazy!...and when run off 2x 17500s is even brighter than on 3x 123A primaries.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, the 17500s are a rechargeable Li-Ion battery. The normal CR123A batteries are primary lithiums... that is to say, they are not rechargeable. The primary CR123As are 3.0 volt cells. Most rechargeable Li-Ions are 3.7 volts but they come off the charger at about 4.2 volts.

With most 2x123 incandescent lights, you don't really have a rechargeable option because if you use 2 rechargeable 123s, that's 8.4 volts off the charger and it will likely kill the bulb very quickly. And if you go down to a larger single battery, the bulb only sees 3.7-4.2 volts which won't be very bright.

With the 3x123 TL-3, it expects to see three 3 volt batteries or 9 volts total. The 17500 cells are 1.5 times as long as each CR123 so two of them are the same length as 3 CR123s. And the primary cells have a bit of 'voltage sag' which the rechargeables don't really see. What this means is you have plenty of current to keep the bulb lit up without excessive voltage to blow it.

What it also means is that once you've bought the TL-3 along with 2 17500 cells and a charger, you have basically a free-to-operate flashlight. The batteries usually last about an hour whether they are the primaries or the rechargeables so once you've bought the rechargeable cells, the light is free to operate. If you stick with the primary cells, the light basically costs $3/hour to run.

I know I've used the hell out of my TL-3 since I got the 17500s. I guess I've had them about a year and they've probably taken the place of $100 of primary cells. And with the TL-3... as I said before, if you can really use the throw, you get used to having that much throw available VERY quickly.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
To expand on the great info cratz2's given, a bulb in a 9V flashlight is really about 7.2V-7.6V. 2x Li-Ion batteries are 8.4V hot off the charger, but quickly drop to their normal operating voltage of about 3.8-3.9V each (so 7.6V-7.8V). It will continue to drop slightly to about 3.7V each, so about 7.4V. Notice this is perfectly where the bulb's proper voltage is, so 2x Li-Ion rechargeables operate the bulb perfectly. Another advantage with Li-Ion batteries is they will continue to power the bulb at near spec voltage until they shut off (for protected batteries). This is in contrast to primary batteries which will continue to lower in voltage allowing the output to dim and dim. It's another option.

Hallorann

Newly Enlightened
This rechargeable Li-ion option (in place of 3x123) sounds like the way to go.

Do you guys have a particular brand to recommend?

Thanks for all the info. I now know more about flashlights than ever before!:grin2:

This is a cool hobby you guys have.

Dijon

Newly Enlightened
This is a cool hobby you guys have.[/QUOTE]

What do you mean by 'you guys', you are now fully hooked into getting another flashlight and rechargeables for it and you haven't ordered it yet.

Join us and together we will rule the Galaxy.:lolsign:

Hallorann

Newly Enlightened
What do you mean by 'you guys', you are now fully hooked into getting another flashlight and rechargeables for it and you haven't ordered it yet.

Join us and together we will rule the Galaxy.:lolsign:

Haha! You got me there!:grin2: :grin2:

cabindriver

Newly Enlightened
Hallorann said:
This rechargeable Li-ion option (in place of 3x123) sounds like the way to go.

Do you guys have a particular brand to recommend?

Thanks for all the info. I now know more about flashlights than ever before!:grin2:

This is a cool hobby you guys have.
Check out:
batteryjunction.com
lighthound.com
e-lectronics.net