Next L4 on the horizon on the horizon? Should I wait?

reaper99999

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

newbie here w/ his first post. I have a 6P and M3-CB and looking at an L4. It looks like a great flashlight - it looks great and the output is great. But I just found out that there are some new generation LEDs coming out (such as Cree or SSC P4), which are even brighter/more efficient. I heard SF will be introducing some new LED lights in a few months, so I was wondering if I should wait on my purchase of an L4. L4 is nice w/ 100 lumens, but seems like the SSC P4 can do 240... Can we expect a 240 lumen L4 on the horizon? Will the E2L catch up to the current L4 in terms of output?

Also, what's this KX1 that I am hearing about?

Thanks in advance!

Eric

cbdudley

Enlightened
The KX1 is the new version of the KL1, and comes with a Cree emitter.

If you can, I would sit tight for a few months and hold onto your checkbook. Much better and brighter things are on the horizon.

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reaper, welcome to CPF. The L4 with a Lux V puts out a "wall of light" as many describe it here on CPF. I do not believe the new E2L will put out such a beam. As far as an L4 with 240 lumens, I don't think so unless some master modder can stick 2 or 3 Crees/Seouls in that bezel. My understanding is that Surefire is putting the Cree in the L1, L5, E1L and E2L and not the L4. Opinions vary on this subject so do some research. I think the L4 is a very good light right now due to it's emitter. YMMV

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
What do you have for light right now? There are some good modders out there that can change out a luxeon for a Cree or Seoul, depending on the reflector. that is what I am having done to some of my lights, for now. Surefire may have some good offings later, but I like to play around NOW.

Bill