Thinking about modding my L1T

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Guys,

I'm a modding virgin......so I want to ease into doing some of this modding stuff by enhancing one of my more basic lights. Here we have a Fenix L1T:

l1tapy6.jpg

It's pretty basic....I don't care much for the sickly green Lux-III (lost the lottery bigtime). I have a few nice Seoul P4 U-bins (SWO tint!!! :rock:), one of which I would like to transplant in here. It should double my brightness to make this light more useable.

So I ran into my first problem. I can't get the light engine out. Freakin thing seems like it's glued in place!!! ARGH!!! Has anyone successfully removed their's? Is it a simple matter of twisting it out?

Anyways, I was wondering if someone can give me some pointers and cautionary tips on doing this supposedly simple mod. I'm thinking I may need to bore out a slightly bigger hole in the reflector to accomodate the Seoul. I also think that I need to raise the emitter by 0.03". What's the best way to go about insulating against shorting out the contacts on the emitter?

Oh well.....this will be a work in progress. Worst thing to happen is I ruin a nice L1T...... Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

:thumbsup: WP

Mirage_Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you tried heating the head well before attempting to get the LE out?

WAVE_PARTICLE said:
Hi Guys,

I'm a modding virgin......so I want to ease into doing some of this modding stuff by enhancing one of my more basic lights. Here we have a Fenix L1T:

It's pretty basic....I don't care much for the sickly green Lux-III (lost the lottery bigtime). I have a few nice Seoul P4 U-bins (SWO tint!!! :rock:), one of which I would like to transplant in here. It should double my brightness to make this light more useable.

So I ran into my first problem. I can't get the light engine out. Freakin thing seems like it's glued in place!!! ARGH!!! Has anyone successfully removed their's? Is it a simple matter of twisting it out?

Anyways, I was wondering if someone can give me some pointers and cautionary tips on doing this supposedly simple mod. I'm thinking I may need to bore out a slightly bigger hole in the reflector to accomodate the Seoul. I also think that I need to raise the emitter by 0.03". What's the best way to go about insulating against shorting out the contacts on the emitter?

Oh well.....this will be a work in progress. Worst thing to happen is I ruin a nice L1T...... Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

:thumbsup: WP

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
WP - I'd love to see your progress on this - I'm about 50 pages into "Electronics for Dummies", and I'm slowly buying all the tools to get going with simple modding. Good luck! :)

john

nightrider

Enlightened
EngrPaul just did a thread on this:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1804271#post1804271

Yes, getting the pill out is the hardest part.
I just did mine last week. I was rather lucky in that mine came out relatively easy. Some have more threadlock than others.

I have some of those really long, fine pointed needlenose pliers that I jammed in the two slots and used brute force to turn (I am very strong :) not). I've seen some suggesting to use some rubber and very sticky marshmallow cream to keep from slipping while holding (it'll wash off).

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
WP, if you want to play, PM me an address and I will send you an L1p flashlight still new in the box, light engine not glued in and all the goodies to mod it with for free.:)

Ken

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Guys!

Thanks for the advice!

Nightrider: Thanks for the VERY useful link. Can't believe I didn't find it in my search......

MirageMan: I'm going to try heating it tonight...

jch79: thanks, buddy, for the encouragement. It's not an exciting mod, but its a start....hopefully I can be as good as 'ol Kenster here! :rock:

Kenster: as always, your generosity continues to floor me! :goodjob: But I'm going to try my best on the one I have for now...... :grin2: It's like a battle of good and evil (me being good, and the danged pill.....evil). The pill shall not prevail.......I will win the day.....and when I do.... there shall be enlightment.

WP