Garrity 1-Watt Luxeon Flashlight

brightboy

Newly Enlightened
Anyone have experience with this particular light? Here is the website if you want to see which one I'm referring to:

http://www.garritylites.com/page47.html

Does anyone know if it is a digital switch, or just a mechanical clickie under the rubber? They claim a 12-hour runtime on high, anyone know if it has regulation circuitry? It just doesn't sound possible for a Luxeon I running 3 AAA batteries. The body looks kinda cool, flat section on the knurled part is reminescent of the Surefire 6p.

accr

Newly Enlightened
I tried a silver colored one from CT.

Body is well built, all metal thread is tight. There are O-rings everywhere, so it should be at least splash proof.

I believe the Clickie is digital; I tested it somewhat by turning it on(*click*), release the battery holder(it turned off), reinsert battery holder and it's still off.

The cilckie was High->low->off type.

I returned at the end because it just wasnt bright enough. Secondly, the beam isn't spot on, more like an "8" than a "O" if you know what I mean. I looked at more than 15-20 of them at CT and they'r all like that. The LED just isn't centered on the reflector.

If you'r in Canada try to look for a 1w from Homedepot, It's much much brighter than the Garrity. $25-$29 I believe.

*EDIT* The ones' in CT are branded NOMA but they'r made by Garrity.

brightboy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks accr - I am in the US, but it was interesting to look at the Canadian Tire website. That Noma brand has lights from several US manufacturers - I saw Brinkmann-made lights as well.

Retinator

Enlightened
Yup I grabbed one of these guys Feb/05. I got screwed and paid full price ($ 34.99 + tax) but have since really smartened up.

They're not too bad. The m@gleds kill them in terms of value now, but last year they mght not have been such a bad deal provided you get them on sale.

As for the light itself, I've used mine quite a bit walking my dog. It's ALMOST bright enough, but from my research in the last year or so my demands have increased a tad :> my light is full of artifacts, and I'd say the thickness of the aluminum is not as thick and sturdy as a m@g, but it's been dropped on the sidewalk, immersed in mud, ice, snow, and it's held up quite well.

The lanyard is the cheapest part of the light I found, and it was lost in the field.

Good light, but there are better values out there now. Can't really say which since I don't have many lights (yet), but soon :)

Last edited: