What is the best light's U.I. you can think of?

Calina

Enlightened
Could we, collectively as CPFer, come up with a (UI) user interface AA flashlight that would be an agreeable compromise to most.

Basically my question is:
What would be your ultimate UI for an AA light?
I hope you will post a lot of suggestions, arguments and comments and hopefully we will see something useful emerge from all this.

It seems that the manufacturers have a hard time implementing the features we want in our lights the way we would like them to be implemented.

As an example, let's look at one user's interface sequence that is becoming popular : medium, low, high, strobe, SOS.
Compare this to these poll results : UI Brightness Sequence, What's your preference - https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/147094
Looking at the results we find that the most popular sequences would be : low, medium, high (58%) or high, medium, low (18%). The sequence medium. low. high gets only 11% of the vote, yet it is the one we find implemented in a lot of popular lights.

As for the SOS and strobe modes according to this poll : SOS & strobe mode - http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=144768

28% would like to have none of these and only 25% of the users will be pleased with an SOS mode but a strong 47% want the strobe.

Looking at the comments on the new JETBeam JET-I MK-II X, users seem to want an easy to use UI and do not want to go trough a lot of levels to reach the one they need. I suppose they will also want their lights to be reliable and affordable.

Obviously it will be impossible to have a light's UI that can do it all or would satisfy everybody all the time. On the other hand one would expect the manufacturers would take into account the input of their customers and try to please a majority.

That said there will always be room for specialized items and market niches will always need to be filled.

Martini

Enlightened
Compromise; that's the bottom line in determining the best U.I. The two polls you referenced are the ones I used to come up with my concept of the ideal U.I., as posted in the L0DCE/L1DCE thread . Basically, the goal was to: 1) use the Low > Med > High intensity ramp because it was most popular by a wide margin, and 2) separate the strobe and SOS modes from the others by means of a selector ring (or some other ingenious device), so they're there if you want them and hidden if you don't. This system would allow you to instantly access the first mode for either set, and then click or twist through the rest. A third set could even be added, for those who demand tactical capability. The resulting light would work like so:

Selector Ring position 1 (normal mode):
Low > Medium > High
Position 2 (special mode):
Strobe > SOS
Position 3 (tactical mode):
High > Medium > Low

With this arrangement, you only have to click through three modes at the most to get to the ones you were looking for. You simply leave the selector ring in the position that contains the mode you want, and you're close or right on it when you turn on the light. I keep hearing people ask for instant strobe or high for tactical use; this U.I. gives you the choice of either one, just put the ring where you want it and it's ready to go.

This, to me, is the ultimate middle of the road solution. It may not make anyone 100% happy, but it should (according to poll data) make the greatest number of people happy enough. There needs to a be sensible, standard U.I. that we can all depend on, or else we'll have to lug around reference cards to know how to use our flashlights. Let's decide on something and tell the manufacturers that CPF has spoken.

B@rt

Flashaholic
A selector-ring bezel with various dimming and off on both sides. I think the SF Titan, although CR2, has the best interface of the moment.

I would love to see it implemented in an AAA/AA light... :rock:

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
SF U2: Brightness selection using a selector ring and momentary on-off using the tailcap.
For a small utility light the Titan is probably close to perfect.

The HDS series are also good.

fineday

Newly Enlightened
A twisty head that change the function, a clickie tail to turn on or turn off the light!

That's the best UI I can ever think of. :D

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a selector ring with low-med-high-strobe-(sos)-(momentary), on/off with the tailcap. SOS and momentary not absolutely necessary for me, but for those who want it.

With selector rings you can know what light you want before you turn it on. Definitely beats scrolling through when the light is turned on.

Among all the hot AA lights now, I personally prefer the Fenix L1D CEs interface most now. Rexlight has a dumb 'switches to next mode' issue if used for short bursts and Jetbeam has a 'switches to advanced mode if switched off from low for more than 2 secs' issue. Liteflux I can't comment on yet.

But I'm not getting the Fenix cuz I don't like their HA III quality and I prefer HA III nat! Damn... what's with not being able to find the perfect light....

Norm

Retired Administrator
The Flupic is very versitle, if you can't find something that will keep you happy you're hard to please. Or did you mean standard light UI's?
Norm

peacefuljeffrey

Newly Enlightened
My preference is for a clicky switch on the tailcap. The best one I've come across so far is on the Inova T2. It offers just the right amount of resistance for instant-on and constant on. (You don't activate constant-on too easily, as on some.)

I am not big on multi-mode switches. Multi-mode flashlights can be useful, but I find that I don't need that stuff in a belt-holster-type light. Maybe on a Photon Freedom they're fine. Other than that, give me a plain clicky.

-Jeffrey

Calina

Enlightened
Norm said:
The Flupic is very versitle, if you can't find something that will keep you happy you're hard to please. Or did you mean standard light UI's?
Norm

I mean standard light UI's of course, sorry it this wasn't clear enough.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
A clicky switch with a selector ring.
The ring having three modes, the first 180 degree turn is the brightness from lowest(>3 lumens) to highest(<70 lumens) with infinite levels with grooves or sections to indicate 10 lumens, 30 lumens, and 50 lumens. When twisting past 180 degrees, there is a click or some other way of telling that you switched to another mode to strobe mode and with a 90 degree range for the speed of the strobe from slowest(>1hz) to fastest(<30hz). then when the battery is placed in backwards, SOS is engaged.

Probably very hard and expensive to manufacture.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hrmm... Well, I depending on what all features are desired, I personally am completely happy with the HDS UI and the NFlex UI. Really, I find the interface of the NFlex to be perfect for my needs... Only thing is, they don't allow for true momentary. And I wish there were a few user customizable level differences. I for one like a REALLY low 'low'. That's where I like the HDS. Their level spacing seems about perfect for me. With the advent of the CREE/P4 LEDs, I'd like something like the NFlex that allowed for about a .2 or .3 Lumen LOWEST, a 2 Lumen LOW, a 10 lumen PRIMARY 1, a 20 Lumen PRIMARY 2, a 60 Lumen HIGH and whatever a full amp would get me for the true burst.

I spent a little time with a LEDLogic Striker during the pass around and got used to it quickly and certainly liked the momentary, but I prefer the HDS or NFlex in general.

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favorite UI is on my lion cub, 1st,its a side switch, 2nd I can chose between 2 programs, It is user definable. Mine goes like this, A press brings on level 3, while on level 3 press and hold = max. From off press and hold is min level.very simple and effective,I have near instant access to 3 levels. I wish more lights had this UI.

Heres the info on full programming,lock out,auto sleep,etc.I have never seen, or read about a light that does all this. see below.This light has worked flawless for the year Ive owned it,i als found some one to custom make a 18500,tube,really long runtimes!:grin2:

LionHeart Operating Instructions V2 (050115)
1 Description
The LionHeart is a single cell Lithium Ion based light that is Microprocessor controlled. All the features are accessed via a single momentary action switch.
There is no mechanical power switch, the momentary action switch and the Microprocessor firmware can put the electronic subsystem into a sleep mode where is consumes <30uA. For extended (year or more) periods of non-use it is recommended to remove the Lithium Ion cell and store it in a dry, cool place.
Only a single Pila battery is recommended and approved for use with the LionHeart.
The LionHeart can be user configured to operate in one of two different User Interfaces (UI0 or UI1). The user can change between the two UI's as often as desired.
2 Definitions
• Click – a short, less than 0.3 seconds press and release.
• Press – a longer, greater than 0.3 seconds press and hold.
• Force – an option to always have the light turn on at a specific user selected level.
• UI – User Interface (the LionHeart has a choice of 2 UI's).
• EEPROM – non-volatile memory. Data stored here will remain even if the battery is disconnected.
3 Initial Power Application
When the battery is first installed and the battery tube is screwed into the head assembly and the electrical circuit is completed the LionHeart will light up for a very short moment (might not even be visible with bright ambient lighting). If the switch is pressed when the electrical circuit is first made, the LionHeart will light up in the same way as if the switch had been pressed from off.
4 Initial Shipped Configuration
The LionHeart is shipped preconfigured as follows:
• Autosleep off
• UI0
• Force off
• Autolockout off
5 User Interface 0 (UI0, default) "Continuously" Variable Levels
There are 6 operating modes for UI0. They are described below.
5.1 On/Off Mode
To turn on the light, click the switch. The light will turn on at the previous level or the Force level if Force is enabled.
To turn off the light, click the switch.
5.2 Momentary Mode
To turn on the light in momentary mode, press the switch, the light will turn on at the previous level or the Force level if Force is enabled.
To turn off the light in momentary mode, release the switch.
5.3 Adjustment Mode
To adjust the brightness of the light, turn on the light, then press.
The light will begin adjustment in the dimming direction unless it was already set to the dimmest level. If set at the dimmest level, adjustment will begin in the brightening direction.
Release the switch and the light adjustment will cease and the new level will be stored in the EEPROM. Pressing the switch again will start the light adjustment in the opposite direction (the direction toggles each time).
When the light reaches the dimmest or brightest level it will stay there until the switch is released.
5.4 Lockout Mode
To prevent accidental turn on or unintended use the light can be electronically locked out. Lockout can be manually selected each time prior to turning off the light or a menu option (see Sec 7.5) can auto-lockout every time the light is turned off.
To enter lockout, begin with the light on and ensure light is on for at least 1 second. Then click the switch rapidly three times, no more than 0.3 seconds apart. The light will cycle off/on/off and then flash once and then go dim for 2.5 seconds then flash three times. The light is now in lockout mode and can only be turned on again by three clicks spaced no more than 0.3 seconds apart.
5.5 Autosleep Mode
If Autosleep is enabled (see Sec 7.1), the timer will reset and start counting whenever a switch click or press occurs. When 15 minutes goes by without a click or press, the Autosleep function will commence dimming the light. The brightness level will visibly drop after each subsequent minute until the lowest light level is reached. After a total of 60 minutes elapses from the last button action the light will turn itself off.
A press during any time prior to 60 minutes elapsing will return the light to its starting brightness level prior to dimming having started.
5.6 Force Mode
This mode is selected from the power-on menu (see Sec 7). Force mode overrides the initial turn on brightness level that was set via the Adjustment Mode on the previous turn off. The user can always set a new temporary light level by using the Adjustment mode but it will be overridden the next time the light is turned off and back on. Force mode also sets the Momentary mode light level.
6 User Interface 1 (UI1, optional) 5 Discrete Levels
There are 6 operating modes for UI1. They are described below.
6.1 On/Off Mode
To turn on the light, click the switch. The light will turn on at the previous level or the Force level if Force is enabled.
6.2 Adjustment Mode
To adjust the brightness of the light start with the light off, then press the switch.
The light will always turn on at Level 1 (dimmest level) and in the brightening direction.
Release the switch at the desired level, and that new level will be stored in the EEPROM. Pressing the switch again (within 1.5 seconds) will start the light adjustment in the opposite direction (the direction toggles each time).
When the light reaches the dimmest or brightest level it will stay there until the switch is released. Once the switch is released for longer than 1.5 seconds no more brightness adjustment is possible without turning off the light and starting the sequence again.
6.3 Latched Full Brightness Mode
With the light turned on, a press will latch to Level 5 (brightest). A second press will unlatch and return the light to the original brightness level.
6.4 Lockout Mode
To prevent accidental turn on or unintended use the light can be electronically locked out. Lockout can be manually selected each time prior to turning off the light or a menu option (see Sec 7.5) can auto-lockout every time the light is turned off.
To manually enter lockout, begin with the light on and ensure light is on for at least 1 second. Then click the switch rapidly three times, no more than 0.3 seconds apart. The light will cycle off/on/off and then flash once and then go dim for 2.5 seconds then flash three times. The light
is now in lockout mode and can only be turned on again by three clicks spaced no more than 0.3 seconds apart.
6.5 Autosleep Mode
If Autosleep is enabled (see Sec 7.1), the timer will reset and start counting whenever a switch click or press occurs. When 15 minutes goes by without a click or press, the Autosleep function will commence dimming the light. The brightness level will visibly drop after each subsequent minute until the lowest light level is reached. After a total of 60 minutes elapses from the last switch action the light will turn itself off.
A press during any time prior to 60 minutes elapsing will return the light to its starting brightness level prior to dimming having started.
6.6 Force Mode
This mode is selected from the power-on menu (see Sec 7). Force mode overrides the initial turn on brightness level that was set via the Adjustment Mode on the previous turn off. The user can always set a new temporary light level by using the Adjustment mode during turn on but it will be overridden the next time the light is turned off and back on.
7 Menu Selection (Configuring the LionHeart)
This section describes how to enter the Menu system and how to change operating options. The changes will be stored in the EEPROM.
To access the Menu, begin with the light on and ensure light is on for at least 1 second. Then click the switch rapidly three times, no more than 0.3 seconds apart. The light will cycle off/on/off and then flash once and then light up dim. The Menu Mode is now active and you can select the Menu you wish to access.
Click the switch from 1 to 4 times (the LED will flash for each click) to select one of the four menu options to change as listed below. If no click occurs within 2.5 seconds lockout is set. If more than 4 clicks are entered, the menu mode is exited, the LED flashes quickly 5 times to indicate a selection error and normal operation of the light commences.
After clicking from 1 to 4 times wait for the LED to light up dim. Then continue as below.
7.1 Zero clicks – times out to Lockout
If no menu is selected (zero clicks), after 2.5 seconds the LED flashes quickly 3 times to indicate Lockout has been set. The LED then turns off and the unit is locked out. To turn it back on requires following the lockout release sequence of three quick clicks as outlined in Sec 5.4 or Sec 6.4.
7.2 One click - Autosleep Enable/Disable
Initially the LED will be dim to indicate Autosleep will be active (i.e. if you don't click, Autosleep will become active). A click will brighten the LED to indicate Autosleep will be inactive. Each click will cycle from active to inactive. When you are happy with the choice, wait 2.5 seconds and the LED will flash once to indicate the selection has been made and the light will then turn off.
7.3 Two clicks – User Interface Selection
Initially the LED will light up dim to indicate User Interface 0 will be active (i.e. if you don't click, UI0 will become active). A click will light the LED up bright to indicate User Interface 1 will be active. Each click will cycle between User Interface 0 and 1. When you are happy with the choice wait and after 2.5 seconds the LED will flash once to indicate the selection has been made and the light will then turn off.
7.4 Three clicks - Force Mode Enable/Adjust/Disable
Initially the LED will dim to indicate Force Level 1 (dimmest) will be active (i.e. if you don't click, Force will become active and set to Level 1). Each click will cycle to the next Force setting. The sequence is:
• Force Level 1 (LED dim)
• Force Level 2 (LED med/low)
• Force Level 3 (LED medium)
• Force Level 4 (LED med/high)
• Force Level 5 (LED brightest)
• Force Disabled (LED is off)
The sequence will cycle through all 6 choices. The LED brightness matches the 5 operating levels of User Interface 1. When you are happy with the choice, wait 2.5 seconds. The LED will flash once to indicate the selection has been made and the light will then turn off.
Force is available in both UI0 and UI1. Even though UI0 has more than 5 levels, the Force Mode only allows a choice of one of 5 equally spaced brightness levels.
7.5 Four clicks – Auto-lockout Enable/Disable
To prevent accidental turn on or unintended use the light can be electronically locked out. Auto-lockout can be enabled so that each time the light is turned off it enters Lockout and requires 3 quick clicks or 2 quick clicks and a press to turn the light back on.
Initially the LED will be dim to indicate Auto-lockout will be active (i.e. if you don't click, Auto-lockout will become active). A click will brighten the LED to indicate Auto-lockout will be inactive. Each click will cycle from active to inactive. When you are happy with the choice, wait 2.5 seconds and the LED will flash once to indicate the selection has been made and the light will then turn off.
7.6 Menu Selection Complete
Once the above menu procedure is complete and the light turns off the new menu selection is immediately active. The light is ready to be used.
Only one menu item can be changed per Menu Selection sequence, i.e. the light turns off after one sequence.

Last edited:

Raptor#

Newly Enlightened
Photon Freedom, HDS EDC, Surefire U2, Blackops Gladius are perfect examples of excellent U.I's.

The Fenix LxT series also has a nice interface, but i would have wished for slightly different levels (lower low... etc.).

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Huntlight FT-01-XSE-XRE. Check it out. Would be great on a AA.

kbog

Newly Enlightened
I have mentioned this in the past and I still think I like it. I would like a switch and ring around the switch that works like the power and volume knob in my Honda Accord. Power button (momentary) in the middle, then just instantly dial in the brightness with the thumb.

You could set the on power to be at a level of your choice by turning on the light, dialing in the brightness then turning the light off and back on again quickly. Simple, effective and infinitly variable brightness settings.

I would want the ring to feel appropriately weighted, maybe even with slight detents (although that might take away the infinite setting idea) to give it a quality feel.

Tough interface for waterproofness though. Maybe the ring could be like and iPod ring - not really a moving part...

Calina

Enlightened
I just read about this one wich I like a lot :

One short click and release, the flashlight comes on high, then each click brings it down one level. If you click and hold, the light comes on the lowest level and each click increases the intensity. I would like to have four levels : 3 to 4 lumens -10 to 13 lm - 30 to 40 lm and high (whatever that is). If you leave the light on for a few seconds on a certain level, the next click turns it off.

With this system you can start on high or low at you choice and you can reach any of the four levels with only one or two clicks.

It is much simpler (and cheaper) to implement than a clickie with a selector ring.

Last edited:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
KISS - keep it simple stupid
Click ON , Click OFF

Of course one can go to the other extreme, buy the programmable flashlight JSB wes promoting a while back, and carry a laptop.....er.....UI so one can reprogram it how one wants when one wants.

I think a L1T-CE with a low of 12 lumans and a high of 80 lumens would be perfect but I doubt Fenix would go back and build one.

I did not cancel my order for a MillerMods AAA-XRE after I got myL0D-CE. The simple UI twist ON LOW continue twisting HIGH sure beats the 5 modes on the L0D-CE. Luckily the default mode on the L0D-CE works for me most of the time, so I do not have to worry about the other 4 modes. Just remember after switching OFF count One thousnad and one, One thousnad and two, One thousnad and three before doing anything else.

Last edited:

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Selector ring plus button, both on tailcap. Brightness regulation in one mode by holding the button.

Keep it programmable for tactical uses (always start on high when button is pressed; fast strobe in one mode) or everyday uses (remembers brightness setting, slow strobe for emergency signaling; can be SOS, but must not be [most rescue workers have said that any regular pattern indicates human presence]).

The Gladius is damn near perfect; the lock-out can be worked on (I accidentally trip it often, but this could be my belly [no it's not from beer :) ]).

For a 2-stage light, the L2/L1 UI is near perfect.