Do you answer stupid questions ?

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know the ones.

A reasonable question within, or at the start of a thread, and some of the replies are so stupid as to be unbelievable.

Is it best to ignore, and carry on ?

Or can you not resist the temptation to enter into, what is ultimately, a long and protracted discussion with someone who just doesn't see the point.

I've been tempted, and have succumbed in the past, but these days I do resist, others usually put the SP to rights.

You know, back me up, without me having to do anything.....

B@rt

Flashaholic
cluelessness1pf6.jpg

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
only to bump them to the top of the list so others can see who posts such stupid threads.
bart_omer.jpg

Last edited:

dlittle3

Newly Enlightened
At My work I operate a Sky Tracker (searchlight) it's always how many watts is it.
I usually make some extraordinary number up.

aljsk8

Enlightened
and now im going to post a random comment so i can have my 100th post and im a confirmed flashaholic

:candle:

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
B@rt: That's my favorite Demotivators Poster!

Stupid Questions? Yes, I answer them if it's somebody honestly trying to learn. But if it looks like somebody to lazy to search for answers that are readily available, I ignore them. As for stupid replies to the original question, I tend to ignore them unless they are factually wrong and I can provide proof of the correct answer. If it's just a matter of opinion, even though I think their opinion is wrong, I stay out of it since it usually just escalates into an argument. Although "argument" threads can be fun if they don't get out of hand, they don't help somebody just looking for an answer who doesn't know enough to decide which side of the argument is correct.

Greta

Flashaholic
What's even better is the stupid question that is stupid because it lacks complete information and is worded rudely... as if the person asking expects you to know exactly what they are talking about and feels entitled to an answer. I'll admit that I usually ignore those questions but when I'm feeling particularly cranky, I'll answer with a sarcastic question in the same rude tone.

Example:

"What the hell is going on? Why can't I login?"

"I dunno. Who are you?"

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
(Caution: mildly adult content depending on how you take it)

Got to separate out the stupid questions form the dumb ones and (best of all) the unintential ones.

The stupid ones are the ones where you want to say, "Here's your sign.."

The dumb ones tend to be the ones with a somewhat obvious answer (Read: Well, you'd know the answer if you read the manual or maybe opened your eyes).

We all get tons of those two. My favorites, though are the third category.

Example: Everyone who has worked in a grocery store in the baking goods aisle must have had this one at the holidays, and it's always asked by a sweet, little, old lady, who of course is only looking for walnuts to make cookies:

"Excuse me, sir, where are your nuts?"

You just gotta love it.