Cree or SSC P4, which is better?

Flymo

Newly Enlightened
I want to try to modify my Pentagonlight L2 with a CREE led. (if possible...)
Where and what kind of circuitboard do I need to use a CREE led, or is it better to use a SSC P4 emitter for a better result?
And where can I buy CREE led's and circuitboards (website) ?
help.gif

Thanks, Kind regards.

Flymo

Last edited:

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only thing I can tell you is that, reading through these forums, I would go for the SSC P4 !!

Everywhere remarks show up like: "impressive" and "WOW" and :duck:

The SSC is build more like the earlier Luxeons I and III with one difference: It has a silicon-dome! So it retracts dust easily, and should be handeled with more care! But it has better light-output and has a wider emittance-angle then the Cree, which is an advantage in most cases!

I hope to receive my first few SSC's in a few days..

Regards,

Ra.

charlesn

Enlightened
Don's comments, posted in response to my question in another thread about why he stayed with the Cree emitter in the XR19:

"THe XR19 head is host to the McR-19XR reflector which is designed specifically for the Cree XR-E. THe Seoul P4 would not work in this head with this reflector. The McR-19XR exploits the viewing angle of the XR-E as well as the image location, relative to the package. In the case of the S27 head, the McR-27L reflector was designed specifically for a Luxeon and lambertian distribution. It was modified to work with the XR-E and it does a good job if not white wall pretty. Switching to the Seoul P4 with this reflector was easy and I think the S27 with its edge on lux and more even beam distribution is a more acceptable solution for the majority. I still like the XR-E behind the 27 reflector for its greater intensity in the spill portion but the Seoul won out.

In general, I find I prefer the XR-E in the small reflectors but in the larger reflectors which are typically about throw to start with, the Seoul P4 is a better choice. This is all very subjective. I do think the XR-E is the best packaged LED out there right now but when protected in a flashlight head, the advantages of the XR-E's composition are not really significant, again, IMHO."

Also, if you scroll down about 3/4 of the way through the linked thread below, Don gets into a detailed discussion w/ pics of the Cree vs. Seoul--as you'll see, the question of which is best is highly subjective, and dependent on the reflector and intended use of the light:

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=138418

Last edited:

Kiessling

Flashaholic
This thread isn't really well place in the McGizmo forum, so it is moved to Homemade. Carry on.
bernie

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Flymo, welcome to CPF !!
Nice to see more fellow Dutch-men in CPF :) (Ra also)

I think the Pentagon L2 is a good platform to start a mod !
As to answer your question qhich is beter, I have succesfuly used McR-reflectors
for the Cree Emitters, but I had to sand them down. Theoreticaly, I don't know if this is the most efficient stup, but from first hand experience, it is for my the most practical. XR-series reflectors are longer in Diameter and does not really fit in lights
I want to mod. Like the McR-19XR, which is 5mm longer then the McR-20....
I've tested these side by side and have found no real difference...

However, with current Seoul-emitters, you can use the McR-series reflectors,
with a very tiny mod, sanded down only about 0.030", or you can buy the
McR-(S) series reflectors...

There have been some tint issues with the SSC, but I think only when overdriven
or extremely underdriven.

I'm not sure it's out there, I hope it is, but I would really like to see a side
by side comparison of these two emitters, regarding heat production,
light production, power-consumption, etc, etc...

Best of luck, of beter gezegd, veel succes !
Je kunt me anytime hiervoor contacten.

Cheers !

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
To throw in another player...how about the Edison Edixeon? Currently cheaper than the SSC P4s with a lambertian radiation pattern still that's more easily manageable with Luxeon reflectors. I'm deciding between the Edison and SSC for some mods right now.

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have all 3 of those emitters you mentioned...
I will be building them into 3 similar lights, however,
I do not any testing/measuring equipment, so I can only make assumptions...