Improvised Mini "Gas Light"

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
(In response to the "Powering your flashlight with Candles" thread)

Just some parts from different lighters, peices of a Coleman Insta-Clip mantle, and some butane. The "burner" and "fuel line" was salvaged from an empty Diamond "Wind Resistant" Utility Lighter. http://www.diamondbrands.com/pages/wind_resistant/33.php

I just tied a piece of a mantle on with wire and pre-burned it with the blue lighter. Afterwards, it's pretty much jam the gas valve open on the red lighter and light the burner.

Prototype Stage:
Gaslight1.jpg

Gaslight2.jpg

Gaslight3.jpg

Shots in the dark
Gaslight6.jpg

Gaslight7.jpg

There's enough light for me to read from it about 4 feet away while it's running it "candle mode" as shown. Heat output and runtime (fuel consumption) not known.

My next step would be to buy another wind resistant utility lighter, more mantles, and some type of metal reflector (Mag85, USL) for a "true" gas powered "flashlight" :laughing:

Norm

Retired Administrator
There are some lateral thinkers amongst us. Wish I was one of them :)
Norm

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now that's an interesting way to play with fire. :)

A production version looks do-able if any of the larger lighter, or even gas lantern makers want to give it a go.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
brilliant. original. a must see... ;)

maybe slide the whole thing into a glass chimney, for a little safety?

Illum

Flashaholic
I can see where this comes in very handy, especially if your a backpacker, even the lightest market gas lights uses a quarter pound gas can with a glass globe about the size of a light bulb.

r0b0r

Enlightened
Ooh... Neat idea!

You could easily construct a slightly beefed up version with one of those gas stove \ BBQ lighters with the metal stalk, they have a metal tube with a slightly flared end for the flame.

If you chopped the metal tubing to preference and replaced the inner rubber tubing with thinbore brass \ steel, you could get a really solid product :)
Those stove lighters have bigger fuel tanks too, and easily adjustable output.

:)

Latest posts