This gives a new meaning to "multi-led light sources"

ewsforos

Newly Enlightened
Now that's something you don't see every day... :)

"Vast, spherical video-airships, their frames entirely covered in a matrix of 61 million LEDs, their very propulsion systems concealed by advertising, might soon be hovering over the U.S. from sea to shining sea."

shannongenie.jpg

airshipgenie.jpg

Link

Impressive application of LED technology, no matter on how you look at it, I think...

Wonder how many lumens whould that baby produce if McGizmo made a reflector for it :crackup:

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm thats going to take a hell of a computer and program for running soo many led's and create an image on a spherical surface.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Once the novelty of first seeing it was gone, I wouldn't want that big advertising ball anywhere near me.

Illum

Flashaholic
LowBat said:
Once the novelty of first seeing it was gone, I wouldn't want that big advertising ball anywhere near me.

hehe

when it comes to advertising in the sky, your gonna need a hell lot of 5mm leds to even make a dot in the sky

61 million LEDs...thats 122 million soldering points not including circuitry periphrals or driver asemblies. :ohgeez:

mdocod

Flashaholic
it's already bad enough that when you are camping in what is supposed to be the middle of nowhere, you can hear jets and planes go overhead.... imagine this thing showing up trying to sell you a new SHAMPOO while you are poopin in a trench!

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
mdocod said:
it's already bad enough that when you are camping in what is supposed to be the middle of nowhere, you can hear jets and planes go overhead.... imagine this thing showing up trying to sell you a new SHAMPOO while you are poopin in a trench!
Maybe it could turn into an enormous illuminated roll of toilet paper hovering in the sky.

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
mdocod said:
imagine this thing showing up trying to sell you a new SHAMPOO while you are poopin in a trench!

At least maybe the nightime illumination might help prevent you from poopin' right on top of a yellow jacket nest, like I did.:oops: :help: Seven yellow jacket stings that evening: two on the nether region as I squatted, two more on my thighs down at the river after I hopscotched like hell there with pants still around ankles to finish the paperwork (*******s followed me), and three more in highly delicate areas after I ran to tent, dove in, zippered door behind me and pulled my pants up ... only to discover that several more yellow jackets had hidden in my pants before I pulled them up.:sweat:

ewsforos

Newly Enlightened
Turbo DV8 said:
At least maybe the nightime illumination might help prevent you from poopin' right on top of a yellow jacket nest, like I did.:oops: :help: Seven yellow jacket stings that evening: two on the nether region as I squatted, two more on my thighs down at the river after I hopscotched like hell there with pants still around ankles to finish the paperwork (*******s followed me), and three more in highly delicate areas after I ran to tent, dove in, zippered door behind me and pulled my pants up ... only to discover that several more yellow jackets had hidden in my pants before I pulled them up.:sweat:

:eek:oo::awman:

For the love of...

Dude, first of all I'd like to offer my condolences to your nether region, but seriously... that GOTTA hurt.

Then again, I picture the whole incident, and somehow, for some reason, it seems really funny from a by-stander's point of view. :popcorn:

*shudders*

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
ewsforos said:
Then again, I picture the whole incident, and somehow, for some reason, it seems really funny from a by-stander's point of view. :popcorn:

*shudders*

That was over 12 years ago, and I remember laying there in my tent, welting up, and just bursting out laughing afterwards. What else could I do, considering the abusurdity of it! I forgot to mention that as I was hopscotching to the river with my pants around my ankles, it was within 20 feet of the road with cars zipping by. Even funnier...

Illum

Flashaholic
Turbo DV8 said:
That was over 12 years ago, and I remember laying there in my tent, welting up, and just bursting out laughing afterwards. What else could I do, considering the abusurdity of it! I forgot to mention that as I was hopscotching to the river with my pants around my ankles, it was within 20 feet of the road with cars zipping by. Even funnier...

ouch, hope the swelling went down afterwards. yellowjackets left me swells that lasted for weeks

you know when its time to buy a USL:grin2:

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Turbo DV8 said:
I forgot to mention that as I was hopscotching to the river with my pants around my ankles, it was within 20 feet of the road with cars zipping by. Even funnier...
Even funnier would be you hopped into the wrong tent.

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretty impressive specs from here http://www.airgenie.com/what.html

Specifications of Air Genie 1 : (Patents Pending)
-type of airship hybrid helium blimp
-shape spherical diameter 35 meters ( 115 feet )
-volume 22,449 cubic meters ( 792,764 cu. ft.)
-surface area 3848 square meters (41,404 sq. ft.)
-surface material composite membrane / honeycomb
-total weight of airship 20 metric tons
-video system RGB LEDs, red,blue&green light emiting diodes
-total number of diodes 61.5 million
-total number of pixels 2 million number of pixels /sq. m 16,000
-number of LEDs/pixel 31
-peak power output 423 kW
-power 1,162 kW turbo generator array (alternatively fuelcells)
-fuel eg. sunflower oil, hydrogen
-propulsion two 240 unit reversible ac motor propeller rings
-cruise speed 36 km/hr.