Maglite 5D

snipinglight

Newly Enlightened
I have a MagLite 5D. Can someone give suggestions what mods can be done? what converter boards and crees or seoul or luxeon leds to use.

Would like to mod this light to give a really bright light with good throw.

RCatR

Enlightened
As far as LEDs go:
Most throw-Get a Cree XR-E, D-sink heatsink, a downboy 750, some thermal epoxy, and an aspherical lens

Fair balance between throw&spill:
Seoul P4, D-sink, downboy 750, thermal epoxy, M2 smooth reflector(optional, but gives a better beam), UCL(ultra clear lens)

snipinglight

Newly Enlightened
Thinking of puting in 3 Cree XR-E bulbs. The Maglite can take 5 D cells. What converting board to use?

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
snipinglight said:
Can I connect three units of Cree XR-E Q3 bin in series with the FATMAN step up booster and power up the entire circuit with five D cell (1.5 v) Alkaline batteries?

Should be really bright right?

I think. with 5 Alkys the internal resistance of the cells and the voltage drop is too high. You'll need more power to drive the Led's at higher rates.

Best regards

____
Tom

snipinglight

Newly Enlightened
Long John said:
I think. with 5 Alkys the internal resistance of the cells and the voltage drop is too high. You'll need more power to drive the Led's at higher rates.

Best regards

____
Tom

Dont understand u, can u elaborate? More power to drive the Leds at higher rates means ... more batteries?

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
snipinglight said:
Dont understand u, can u elaborate? More power to drive the Leds at higher rates means ... more batteries?

At least, yes. With 5xAlkys you'll have about 7,5Volts without load. When you'll connect 3x Led's in series and will drive them with a Fatman at about 900mA, the Fatman will work at about 6V-12V.
So with this setup you can't get runtimes in regulation.

You can ask George for more informations about his drivers, but I wouldn't recommend the use of Alkys for a multiple high-performance Led-setup. The chemistry isn't suitable for high current draws.

Go with nimh's or LiIons:)

Best regards

____
Tom