Klarus        

Thread: Preventing WA1185 Insta-Flash?

Enlightened

Default Preventing WA1185 Insta-Flash?

I need some advice from those with experience. I am building a MAG85 using all Fivemega parts, the 9AA to 3D adapter, bi-pin ceramic socket, stock switch, FM reflector, bora lens, and WA1185 bulb. I have read here that one needs to rest a freshly charged 9AA pack for a while to prevent an 1185 instaflash. Is there some magic number that I can check with a DVM that is in the safe area. I would assume that the pack could read over 12 volts fresh off the charger - correct? I would further assume that a reading of 11.? would be safe. What would this voltage be?

Thanks,

William

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Preventing WA1185 Insta-Flash?

Using eneloops I've had the pack at 12.6 and it was fine. CBP1650s would be another story. My mag is low resistance too showing ~12.5 at the Kiu socket

i have heard that 3 hours is the magic #. you might try replacing one of the cells with a dummy cell.

Shane
    -Shane
    Looking for customer Surefire E series custom components by McGizmo, Leef, Balrog, etc. Also looking for Mr Bulk lights and Fivemega Mag Mods / Elephant. PM me

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Hallis
    i have heard that 3 hours is the magic #. you might try replacing one of the cells with a dummy cell.

Shane
    Was that for me? My cell voltage drops after about 6 hours to just under 11. But even at 12.6 my bulb won't blow.

Enlightened

Thanks for the info. I guess that the voltage from a pack of CBP's will not sag as much as other battery types. What actually kills the bulb? Too much voltage or too much current? Or a combination of both?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by wtn
    Thanks for the info. I guess that the voltage from a pack of CBP's will not sag as much as other battery types. What actually kills the bulb? Too much voltage or too much current? Or a combination of both?
    It's both.

Quote Originally Posted by tebore
    Was that for me? My cell voltage drops after about 6 hours to just under 11. But even at 12.6 my bulb won't blow.
    Na it was for William. I keep a few dummy cells on hand just in case i need to use a battery pack setup with a bulb that cant handle all that current. I throw the aluminum dummies in there to lower it. That way all i have to do is swap bulbs without need for additional configurations.

Shane
    -Shane
    Looking for customer Surefire E series custom components by McGizmo, Leef, Balrog, etc. Also looking for Mr Bulk lights and Fivemega Mag Mods / Elephant. PM me

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by Hallis

Shane
    I've flashed an 1185 after letting my 1650's rest only 3 hours. I now wait overnight, although that doesn't answer your question about the magic #.