Preventing WA1185 Insta-Flash?

wtn

Newly Enlightened
I need some advice from those with experience. I am building a MAG85 using all Fivemega parts, the 9AA to 3D adapter, bi-pin ceramic socket, stock switch, FM reflector, bora lens, and WA1185 bulb. I have read here that one needs to rest a freshly charged 9AA pack for a while to prevent an 1185 instaflash. Is there some magic number that I can check with a DVM that is in the safe area. I would assume that the pack could read over 12 volts fresh off the charger - correct? I would further assume that a reading of 11.? would be safe. What would this voltage be?

Thanks,

William

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Using eneloops I've had the pack at 12.6 and it was fine. CBP1650s would be another story. My mag is low resistance too showing ~12.5 at the Kiu socket

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have heard that 3 hours is the magic #. you might try replacing one of the cells with a dummy cell.

Shane

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hallis said:
i have heard that 3 hours is the magic #. you might try replacing one of the cells with a dummy cell.

Shane

Was that for me? My cell voltage drops after about 6 hours to just under 11. But even at 12.6 my bulb won't blow.

wtn

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info. I guess that the voltage from a pack of CBP's will not sag as much as other battery types. What actually kills the bulb? Too much voltage or too much current? Or a combination of both?

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
wtn said:
Thanks for the info. I guess that the voltage from a pack of CBP's will not sag as much as other battery types. What actually kills the bulb? Too much voltage or too much current? Or a combination of both?

It's both.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
tebore said:
Was that for me? My cell voltage drops after about 6 hours to just under 11. But even at 12.6 my bulb won't blow.

Na it was for William. I keep a few dummy cells on hand just in case i need to use a battery pack setup with a bulb that cant handle all that current. I throw the aluminum dummies in there to lower it. That way all i have to do is swap bulbs without need for additional configurations.

Shane

maxhawk

Newly Enlightened
Hallis said:

Shane

I've flashed an 1185 after letting my 1650's rest only 3 hours. I now wait overnight, although that doesn't answer your question about the magic #.