To cree or not to cree, that is the question

dirobesh

Enlightened
Since my dad became ill at Christmas, passing away a couple of weeks ago, I've been sadly absent from CPF and my computer in general, looking after him. I've finally had the urge to go back online, and in the past few days I've been incurring serious eye-strain trying to catch up on all the amazing new stuff that's appeared in my absence over the past couple of months.

I'm completely bowled over by the torches using the new cree light source and despite feverishly pouring over every review and photo of them, still can't decide what one to get first to add to my collection.

I haven't been this excited since I realised I'd saved up enough dosh to buy my first HDS torch. :)

Long live CPF - I've missed you!!!

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since you have an HDS then you should get a SSC P4 U-bin emitter and swap it in to your HDS. It's a nice and simple mod that will get your HDS back in to the limelight in midst of all the new stuff.

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sorry for your loss. I lost my mother last year and I don't think I will ever get back to normal.
I have the HDS 42 XRGT and I would definetely get the battery extension so you can use the 17670, it seems to run forever! I think the HDS lights are the best regulated lights out there.

wakibaki

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to hear about your dad.

Let me be the first to recommend a Fenix P1D-CE. You can get one easy over the net in the UK. http://www.glowgadgets.co.uk/ Didn't come next day but the day after.

It's not flawless, and some people have had issues with sloppy threads on the headscrew, but it's a small package and I had no problems. The lithium battery is not everybody's cup of tea, but the other Fenix lights using single AAAs don't get as much light from the LED.

Considering that I can buy a maglite knockoff for a quid, 40 for the Fenix for will probably look a bit sick in 18 months time, but right now, what the hell.

w

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
My condolences on your loss, dirobesh. It's a major moment when one loses a parent. It will get easier over time though.

I haven't seen the term "dosh" before - is that Scottish slang for money?

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Very sorry about your loss!!!

Welcome back!!!

I now have two Cree "articles": A Madmax+ upgraded to Cree and a SL3AA Tasklight upgraded.....

I say YES!!! (and am reminded to try something...)

dirobesh

Enlightened
Thank you everyone for you kind comments - they are much appreciated. One of the main reasons that I love CPF so much is that apart from drooling over the new torches, everyone is so friendly.

wakibaki - many thanks for the glowgadgets link - I hadn't heard of them and am about to place an order for the P1D CE - cheers!

PhotonWrangler - you are right, "dosh" is brittish slang for money - it's correct usage is "Since discovering CPF, I have no dosh" :)

PlayboyJoeShmoe - forgive my ignorance, are you able to simply swap out the luxeon for the cree or do you also have to modify the reflector to focus the beam?

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
My "articles" were sent off and modded by others. My SL3AA Tasklight came back turn key.

The Madmax is of course a minim*g drop in. I have tried several reflectors since getting it back. The best of the lot is a M*gled head/reflector that I had surplus since killing a 3AA.

It screws down on the older Mini just fine. It has a hole that JUST fits over the dome of the Cree and bottoms on the metal ring on the Cree. It gives a tight spot with a bright corona and decent spill.

I don't know what it takes to actually put the Cree in place. Best thing I can suggest is to post in homemade and modified what you would like done and see who reponds! It worked for me!