Are Multi-Level Lights Worth the Bother for Real World Use?

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
A 'multi-level' light is defined - for the purposes of this thread - as having three or more output levels, to distinguish it from 'dual-level' and 'single-level' lights.

What got me thinking on this topic was hiking with my UK 4AA eLED Zoom, which is a dual-output light, and my SL 4AA PP Lux, which is a single-level.

The UK 4AA eLED Zoom has a low level output of about 20 lumens, which is close to ideal for wilderness hiking. On low level, the light has a flat-regulated runtime specified by UK as 10 hours, but actually longer in my experience. The high level output is about 40 lumens, which is good for checking terrain further ahead and to better pierce fog, rain, or snow. The light will run in regulation for about 4 hours on high. The clicky-button user interface is so simple and effective that it can be used without any conscious thought.

Even on low, this light is a little bright for close up tasks. When digging around in my rucksack to find something, I ended up using my 1AAA keychain light. That got me to musing about whether the eLED Zoom would be improved by adding a third level, say about 5 lumens. That would provide a really long runtime for emergencies and make the light more usable for close up tasks like looking at maps, digging around in a pack, etc. But, it would add another level to click through, and degrade the elegant simplicity of the current user interface.

UK offers this light in single-level and dual-level versions. If UK offered a multi-level version of this light, would you prefer it over the existing versions?

Most CPFers are familiar with the SL 4AA PP Lux. A great light to take along on a hike for spotting things at a distance, but not a very good light for actual hiking, at least as it exists in its present form. Would this light be improved by adding a low level output, say 20 lumens, that would allow it to run for 10 hours or more? Or would adding the lower level just ruin the light's elegant simplicity? If Streamlight offered both versions, which would you choose?

Single-level lights do have advantages in simplicity of operation and construction. No fiddling around, the light is either on or off. Given equivalent quality of construction, single-level lights would tend to be more reliable than multi-level or dual-level lights by the same manufacturer. Their disadvantage is a lack of versatility.

Dual-level lights offer more versatility, with a slightly more complicated user interface. However, in practice, the use of my dual-level lights is so simple that I never have to think about it.

Would you prefer one multi-level light that attempts to do it all, from close up to long range? Or, one single-level or dual-level light for close to medium range use, and a second single-level or dual-level light for medium to long range use?

Cribbage

Newly Enlightened
I like a dual-level light.

1 in a 1xCR123 formfactor (Milky ML-1:nana: )

and 1 in a M3/M4 type for that long range use. The whole point of a small light is small and useful; up close & personal type stuff. Big lights are good for bump-in-the-night, tire-changing-by-the-side-of-the-highway type situations.

If you try to make a do-all tool, you wind up with a Crescent wrench!

GrnXnham

Enlightened
I like dual-level lights the best. One option for bright and one option for long battery life.

That's all I need.

zx7dave

Enlightened
Streamlight Twin Task 2L is a great two level light. Don't see a reason to have more than two settings. I actually use the LED settings on it to light the room when power goes out...most of my SureFires are older technology that lack a low setting so they burn through batteries way too quickly.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personnally only usually use my U2 on either High or low but, im sure that other occassions will call for somewhere inbetween and those situations won't worry sicne I'm set.

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the Gatlight approach:

gatlight.jpg

Turn the knob, it gets brighter.

mchlwise

Enlightened
Given the two choices (multi level or single/dual level) I'd have to go with multi.

I definitely like/need low, medium can be good too, and of course high.

I don't need TONS of levels though.

ja10

Enlightened
For me, my U2 usually stays in high or low.

However, I have used the middle ranges several times, and was glad I had them. One time was when I was sword fishing at night. Whenever I needed to do something in the boat, I turned the U2 on low, and increased light as necessary. If I light up the boat on high, it would take several minutes before my eyes adjusted back to the darkness. By having multiple levels, you never have to subject your eyes to any more light than is necessary.

With that being said though, while walking around at night or doing something in the attic, it's either high or low for me.

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer 3 or more levels like the HDS or FFIII. I won't spend much money anymore for a single level light. For me it's not as much about having the right amount of light when you need it but getting the most out of a battery especially in an emergency situation.

I found myself once on a trail after dark a couple of miles from my car, I had multi level light but no extra batteries but because the light was muli level I was easily able to make it back to the car by regulating the power I was using. I almost always have a light but I rarely carry extra batteries.

Burgess

Flashaholic
I myself am looking forward to Multi-Level flashlights in my future purchases.

As flashaholics, we know the value of having the PROPER AMOUNT of light
for a given task. Based upon the situation at hand.

Like Goldilocks and the Three Bears, we want it . . . .

Not too Bright --

Not too Dim --

But JUST RIGHT.

We usually CAN get by with One-Size-Fits-All,
but that's often far from ideal.

Regarding the Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA Luxeon,
which you mentioned in your post, here is a comment i made perhaps 6 months ago:

As i posted several months ago, in the thread:
"What feature do you want?" . . . .

Variable power settings on the Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA Luxeon.

Slight rotation of the head would give us click-stopped settings of 1/4 power, and 1/16 power.

Such a wonderful light. This would make it perfect.
grinser2.gif

OK, now back to the Present, once again --

With the wisdom of 6 months of "hindsight", let me add:

i want the Cree XR-E installed, also.

Now THAT would make it perfect.
grinser2.gif

Can't see how MY suggested method would be a bother.

Just leave it at full-power all the time, until you wanna' change.

Interesting thread, Ringzero.

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast
My ideal flashlight for real world use has multi-level, but in actual usage, uses a user chosen "low" level with immediate access to High.. For example, the nFlex (flashlight version) gives you access to 5 levels, which you can choose when you turn on your flashlight. If the chosen level is less than Level 5 (highest level), you can also instantly access Level 5 by pressing down on the switch at any time.

Being able to choose different "low" levels gives you the choice of choosing a brighter "low" instead of only being stuck with a level of light that may be too low for your current usage, but "high" is too bright.

As an example of this use, I also do night hikes, and often use my Tri-X as one of my lighting sources... This uses an nFlex with 5 levels and I discovered that Level 2 is just about perfect for lighting my way while I still have immediate access to Level 5 at anytime. With this multi-level interface, I can also choose any other Level for my "low" should Level 2 prove to be to high or low for my needs..

Cypher

Enlightened
I have an HDS and have found that I only ever use 3 levels. I use primary (10 lumens) mostly for routing lighting, Low (.2 lumens) every night and morning to check on the kids and get around without waking everyone, and High to see whatever there is to see occasionally.

I do think that more levels would be still be useful if those levels were dividing a greater overall output than 42 lumens though. Dividing a lower total output into too many levels doesn't produce enough difference to matter. For instance if I had an HDS U120 I would probably use the 4 levels but I would set them at around .2 lumens low, ~25 lumens secondary, 65 lumens primary, and 120 lumens high. I think these would all be very useful and practical levels.

Ultimately I think that dual level makes absolute sense if only for the extended runtime during the unexpected emergency you find yourself in and multi-level lights can make just as much sense or more depending on your needs, preferences, and the UI.

lightbug

Enlightened
Two modes is more than enough. Low and High, one around 10 to 20 LM, the other 50 to 60LM.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
My choice would be to have a variable light from dim to bright with a lever at the switch if in a typical Maglight position. If a tail switch it would just be a bezel that twisted(somebody else idea) and a separate on off switch.
Extreme left would be low, right would be high and there would be detents for other levels. My Mark II idea has movable detents.
The light could be left in one position, rapidly changed and even used as a "strobe".

I have a light that has a pot on it but I usually use high or low because there is a veery thin area where I can get a middle ground. I would use this middle ground a lot if I could rapidly dial it in.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like dual level lights. I even have my HDS set so my primary and secondary levels mirror my McLux PD. High and low are good for me. I think for my usage, a third level would be necessary if the light was 100+ lumens. I don't mind complexity, I just prefer simplicity.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lots of strong opinions in this thread, both pro and con for multi-level lights. Seems to be about equally divided between pro and con. The following comments are a good representation of both camps.

Pro:

- "Like Goldilocks and the Three Bears, we want it . . . .Not too Bright -- Not too Dim -- But JUST RIGHT."

- "Three levels are just right."

Con:

- "If you try to make a do-all tool, you wind up with a Crescent wrench!"

- "2 levels, there's a reason; more than that, **** on a bull."

Interesting for me, is that there seem to be no single-level proponents - everyone prefers either dual-level or multi-level.

I expected at least a few posters to stick up for the Old School simplicity and reliability of single-level lights.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the HDS or more than 2 levell approach. A level for close up work/map reading. A burst mode for checking things in the distance. A primary most of the time level and a lower level for runtime.