Streamlight Scorpion converted to LED

greg34747

Newly Enlightened
I've got a scorpion, Nice light but it eats batteries and they are too expensive. I was wondering is there a kit or some way to convert the current incadsent to a LED setup that I see they now sell?

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
you can buy a replacement led module for the scorpion led that should fit but you'd be better off just getting a new scorpion led.. lol

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
SL doesn't sell the LED module. I have a Scorpion LED and love it. The head also fits onto Vital Gear FB bodies (something the TL-2 and NF-2 LEDs can't do since the head isn't removable, only the front bezel). The easiest thing you can do to save on battery costs is either:

1. Get a 3.7V Strion bulb and run a 17670 rechargeable.

2. Get 2x 3V R123As to run the 6V (really a 5V) bulb.

For option 2, some say this risks instaflashing the bulb, but I've run 2cell bulbs w/o problems for a while on my 3V R123As. I use the ones that charge to 3.6V max and are 3V by chemistry, which may be better for the bulb (since it's really a 5V bulb). Some 3V R123As are actually 3.7V cells with an internal circuit that drops the operating voltage to about 3.2V which may be enough of a difference to blow the bulb. I got my 3V R123As from Frys, brand is Ultralast. The xenon bulb runs brighter with my R123As since the voltage is staying at 6V and driving the bulb harder than 2x primary 123As which sag to about 5V under load.

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast
you can get replacement parts from flashlights.com or brightguy.com
Emitter Module Assembly its like 30 bucks

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
nemul - couldn't find the emitter module assy at either site. Can you post a direct link?...I'd be interested in picking up spares to mod.

waynejitsu

Enlightened
You can also get a Surefire KL1 head, screws right on or a KL3 will work with a LEEF adapter:)

greg34747

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the LINK above, I think after looking at the price issue I'm going to try the rechargeable 17670 and the 3.7 volt strion bulb. I use this light only as a backup for my strion, So I don't want to invest a ton in it. I've already got the bulbs on the way should be here yesterday or monday.

Thanks for the info and welcome. I feel kind of dumb here but slowly I'll pick up on what ya'll are talking about.

Ranger

Newly Enlightened
I was wondering if anyone had ideas about upgrading to LED for a brighter strion: Cree drop in?