Palm Blaze and Wiseled

Stella_Polaris

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys! I am new hear. I am looking for a SUPER BRIGHT Luxeon K2 LED flashlight that could throw light on trees at 300 meter distance. I saw the Palm Blaze K2 on eBay and read some reviews on it. But WHO makes that light? Who is the manufacturer? I seem to have read somewhere that the manufacturer makes an even brighter flashlight than the Palm Blaze K2. Kind regards, Bo.

Stella_Polaris

Newly Enlightened
I forgot to mention that I was allowed to borrow a Wiseled Tactical from my local diver's shop to test it out. It is really amazing but I just think that the run time on it was a bit poor (1 hour) and it is EXPENSIVE!

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Palm Blaze for short time now.
The optic features a focused beam and NO sidespill at all and I doubt You will get a good result for what You want (but will test at night).
There are beamshots of the square output somewhere in the LED-forum (search "palm blaze" in title)

personally I think a "similar" setup (K2 on high power) but inside a Mag-Mod with the extremely good focusing large reflector will give way better results.

Stella_Polaris

Newly Enlightened
As stated I am looking for the following specifications:

At least 1000 lumens
K2 LEDS
Rechargable
LONG run time!
At least able to light up trees FULLY at a 150 metre distance.

I am a security guard and at the moment I have a MagCharger but I think it sucks :candle:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
damn, my 1st post did not made it...

Your "LONG runtime" screams also "NO K2",
this inefficient, heat producing piece of marketing hype.

Try to get a light with a Cree or SSC Led instead of this heat oven.
Double efficient, meaning: same brightness at half the current produced.

There are several good models at www.dealextreme.com, some running with one 18650 Li-Ion instead of the expensive CR123s.
(have some ordered, so no real experience yet).

Also I have just compared Fenix L1D-CE (on full) against the Palm Blaze.
While the Blaze is more powerful, it is also noticeably less focused and will not work for You (going to test again at night and in open field).
Unfortunately my 14500 Li-Ions dont fit the Fenix by now (modding needed, the L1D with Li-Ion is equally bright as the L2D-CE), I can not give a real comparison between Blaze and L2D-CE, but it should be equally bright at least, produce less heat and run longer with cheaper batteries (or rechargeable AAs).

My vote for You:
Fenix L2D-CE
also much better finish than the blaze

:red face: sorry, didnt realise it was "thousand" lumens and "meters"
still: NO K2, better a Multiemitter Cree or SSC

Last edited:

Stella_Polaris

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! Would the Fenix be able to throw light (USABLE light!) up to 300 metres (900 feet)?

What are the run times?

Looks interesting, I must admit.

Best,

Bo.

DM51

Flashaholic
No, it won't throw 300 metres. It won't even throw 100 metres. A lumens figure is a measure of the amount of light being emitted, but that has only a partial bearing on how far it will throw. You need a very tightly-focused (almost laser-like) beam for what you want, or alternatively a monster-powerful light, or both, depending on what you mean by "usable" light.

I don't know where you heard about K2 LEDs, but I can assure you they are not the answer. The Cree XR-E and SSC P4 LEDs are much more effective, but to do what you want you might need about 7 of them in one head. This would give you your ~1000 lumens, but whether or not you could focus them sufficiently to throw usable light to 300 metres is another matter.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry for not reading Your posts too good, of course a single led light does not work. There will surely soon be some "6 Cree/Seoul in a Mag"-mods be posted here. These might work.

But You maybe could, for the short time, search for "mag 85" and consider a comparable setup.

Your existing light features the best starting point for this under all the Mags. Maybe You only need a more powerful Welch-Allyn bulb. The charger bulb holder and reflector might be ok, dunno if the battery can stand the current draw
(but this is not a theme I am much interested in and thus --> search for Mag 85, there will surely be some infos regarding the Charger)

... but 300 meters, thats 3 times a soccer field. Even a car searchlight will not be good at such distances.

Stella_Polaris

Newly Enlightened
I think the Wiseled Tactical can do the job. I tried it out once, but I just thought it was VERY expensive and the run time was only about 1 hour and ten minutes at full boost (approx. 1000 lumens). But then again, it really is a sturdy light and BOY does it light! Another advantage is that it only takes 1½ hours to charge fully and you can leave it in the charger all the time (I phoned Wiseled about it since I live in Denmark where it is produced).

I am not that technical as many of you in this forum, but I just like QUALITY. I read on luxeon.com that a dinner candle produces about 12 lumens. So the Wiseled would make a light nearly 100 times the light of the candle. Or like a 100 Watt bulb.

Any other suggestions that would match the Wiseled Tactical? It has to be rechargeable!

Check out wiseled.com. Apparantly, the "usable" light range is 900 feet!

Bo.

DM51

Flashaholic
The Wiseled Tactical has been reviewed in CPF - see here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/135633&page=1&pp=30

It is a dive light, designed to be used underwater, and that is why you found it at a dive shop. You can obviously use it out of the water too, but on maximum power you will soon run into heat problems because air is not nearly as good as water at conducting heat away.

In practice this may not matter too much as long as you don't rely on using it out of the water on the maximum brightness setting the whole time, but if you do decide to get one you should bear heat considerations in mind.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Stella_Polaris and welcome to CPF:)

Like the others said, the K2's are not the answer for a bright, long lasting light.
When you like the Wiseled, buy it, but when you'll use the light outside the water, you can get a much better light in therms of efficiency, independance (from the manufacturer for changing the batts) and relation with costs of used parts to the price of the whole package.
Take a search for the prices of a few LiIons, charger, Leds, driver, reflectors......

I would take a look to the Custom build lights. For example a SF M6 as host with 6x SSC-P4 ermitters will give you 1000 Lumens stabile with a good heatsink.
At the end you'll have to spend about the same money but for IMO the better light with the far better parts (like I said, not for diving).

Best regards

_____
Tom