How many coloured A2 variants were made?

Spydie

Newly Enlightened
I was just wondering aside from the OD HA-III and BK HA-III versions, how many other colours were offered, either through special offer or regular sales, of the A2 model? Also for rare coloured SureFires, are their any dealers out there who specialize in locating and selling these types of lights?

InfidelCastro

Banned
There's a purple one as pictured in Size15's signature, other than that I don't know of any others, but I'm sure there are.

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
Three:

A2-HA
A2-BK
A2-Purple
P33.jpg

As a side note: There has been an A2 Porcupine but that was standard HA.

Please note that it is superfluous to write "HA-III" or "HA3" etc.
Type III anodised is Hard Anodised so you need only write "HA" or Type III

SureFire's standard HA finish is a "natural" finish rather an specifically colour dyed.
It varies from dark slate grey to deep green-brown. It is not "Olive Drab" coloured which I would take to mean colour-matched to a Mil. Spec. Olive Drab standard colour.

As for locating rare coloured SureFires: Dealers aren't the best places to search because the vast majority of rare SureFires are never handled by Dealers since they are usually custom-made by SureFire and currently in the hands of private owners.

CPF's buy/sell/trade is a good place to hunt out rare SureFires. I suggest you start there.

Al :)

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Al how old is that A2?!? it looks like it say"digital Fusion series" is that right? and that tialcap looks really funny, so just how old is it? or was that a proto?

thanks!

Size15's

Flashaholic
It is a pre-production sample for field-testing. SureFire dropped the "Fusion" for "Plus" for the release.
That is the original Two-stage TailCap - when SureFire improved it, they changed the style to identify the new version from the old.

greenLED

Flashaholic
65535 said:
doubtfull you can always strip the anode, and have it reanoded.
The A2 has too many integral parts and internal coatings (as well as different materials in the body). Plus, custom anodizing a single unit is very expensive. Not worth it, IMO.

Spydie

Newly Enlightened
Al,

Thanks a lot for the info and clarification on the anodizing! That's quite a nice collection of A2's you have and when the funds are available, I hope to track down a black version myself.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I am not aware of any 'planned' additional colours for the anodise of the A2 although I admit I have not been looking out for such 'news'

Tracking down a Black A2 will be easier than a purple A2 since more were made. Although that being said, perhaps that means owners are less aware of how desireable they are to collectors...

I'm always tempted to carry the Black A2 as my EDC but I can't bring myself to risk damaging it so I use a standard A2 instead.

Al

InfidelCastro

Banned
A mint black A2 sold on Ebay for $147 dollars yesterday and I forgot to bid on it.

It's not so much the color of the body I'm interested in, but the ability to use rechargeables. The new A2's have really tight bodies. I guess Sure-Fire doesn't want us using rechargeables. Or perhaps they got compaints on rattling batteries. Or a combination of both. Either way, I won't be buying a new one again until they fix this 'issue'.

Illum

Flashaholic
Size15's said:
They all have really tight bodies in my experience.
(A2, L1 and L2)

hence the reason they can be carried lightly ;)
it is also the reason why I stopped edcing inovas altogether...[except the X1 and X5] they have too much material:ohgeez:

InfidelCastro

Banned
I guess, the use of unprotected rechargeables would be the way to go, if they fit..

I've heard the largest battery that will fit in the L2 is the 14500.

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just how rare are the black Surefire A2s? I don't think I've seen one come up in the B/S/T in at least 10 months. I really like the black color. :rock: