EDIT "more new pics" Seoul powered Minimags Beamshots PICS Inside

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
knowing that i was gonna do this swap it was a good thing i made sure to take a beamshot of tle5k2 few days ago before i forgot to on the day i modded the ministars

Last edited:

paxxus

Enlightened
Re: Seoul powered Minimags Beamshots PICS Inside

Cool! I may just have found a destiny for my old MAG 2AA. Were the stock LEDs easy to remove from the ministars?

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast

tle5 was simple they are connected at just the leads the tle5k2 was a pain because i had no desolder wick and it was soldered underneath by the slug ,i eventually destroyed the k2 emitter and it was still stuck after trying to pry it off numerous times i then used solder wire and added solder to the base and at the same time apply pressure to pry off hoping the solder would attach to other solder and heat up as well then pop off and bingo it worked

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, I destroyed a Ministar5's K2 emitter assuming it was pasted instead of soldered too.

SEMIJim

Enlightened

Pretty impressive. Thanks for the beam shots.

Any idea of the run time with the TLE-5K2 w/the Seoul upgrade?

Last edited:

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast

probably 3-4 hours ....another note is that these as well as my other bigger mag beamshots were taken in complete darkness at a brown wall probably absorbing some light as compared to white wall reflecting more light thus nicer brighter pic , so when you see a beamshot that looks real good off a dark wall ,thats impressive imo :)

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sweet. I have one of the regular TLE-5s'. I wonder if I'd get it a good boost changing that to a Seoul.

paxxus

Enlightened

Is the SEOULed Tle5K2 significantly brighter compared to the SEOULed Tle5?

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes the 5k2 is significantly brighter, its hard to tell in this photo but seriously do this and you will see...copy the image and cut crop each of 5k2 and tle5 and save each pic separate, now open the image so it shows in a slide show type view and click back and forth to see a noticeable difference....i did this and yes you see a difference>>edit use the pics in next photos i post instead they are perfectly cropped

all mags w/seoul

Last edited:

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
as stated in above post ,use these pics to slideshow back and forth to see light difference 5k2 first tle5 second

perfectly cropped just save and view

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast

EngrPaul said:
Yes, I destroyed a Ministar5's K2 emitter assuming it was pasted instead of soldered too.

you prolly done this a million times, what do you do with all those extra emitters , i have 3 now but since they are obsolete lux1 and k2 they wont sell

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
mattk batteryjunction.com may be selling more tle5 and 5k2 after people see this eh :laughing: wheres my commision :D

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
SEMIJim said:
One would think there'd fairly soon be a "TLE-5SP4" available ;)

Who knows.... But why wait when you could have an SSCP4 in your Minimag right now. The prices on the TLE5s are the cheapest they've ever been. It's worth picking one up from Battery Junction and buying a SSCP4 from either the Sandwich Shoppe or a CPF dealer just to experiment with. I already did with the TLE-6K2. Terralux modules seem to be good for modding these days...

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
wall & ceiling
i made 2 shots with the 3dmag, i had to get it closer to get flood in pic capture , still like 4ft away from ceiling

i put everled in there so you see a light other than seoul

Galiphrey

Enlightened
Just found this thread. Neat-0! Some questions:

I take it that the TLE-5K2 converter doesn't burn up the Seoul LED with too much voltage? :)

Can you measure the voltage across the LED?

Is it any brighter on NiMH's than Alkalines?

Does it get hot?

edit: another one: Do you know the Vf bin of the Seoul LED you used?

Last edited: