Nobody Prefers Single-Level Lights?

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I started a thread for discussion of multi-level versus dual-level and single-level output lights.

The responses so far seem to be about evenly divided between preference for dual-level and multi-level lights.

To my amazement, so far not one poster has declared a preference for single-level lights.

CPF is frequented by fire and rescue people, LEOs, etc. that regularly get into situations where the reliability of their light can be a matter of life and death.

I expected that at least a few hard corps, 'Old School' types would still prefer the simplicity of operation and construction, and hence greater reliability, of single-level lights.

SEMIJim

Enlightened
I don't particularly need a multi-level light. Mainly, ISTM the UI will, often as not, get in the way. But a dual-level light can give you a throw- or flood-monster and something more useful for close-up and everyday tasks, all in one package.

I have a Nuwai TM-301X-3 I keep in the car. At this time of the year, often it's dark when I drive up to my mailbox. That light on low is excellent for allowing me to check my mailbox w/o completely destroying my night vision. On high, it's great for searching the inside or outside of the house or office.

benighted

Enlightened
Depends on what you need it for. There are many cases a single-level light is much better than a light you have to click through a UI to get the brightest setting.

But that aside I personally DO prefer a multi-level light.

josean

Newly Enlightened
Multiple levels are perfect if you can directly access to whatever you want (as fenix L1T). If you have to walk among several levels to reach the desired one, there are many situations in which they are not practical. The on/off switch must give you the light that you want just in this moment.

paulr

Flashaholic
I think that thread was mostly about small EDC lights, an interest of CPF in general. Larger lights tend to be single level. Although, the Surefire 10X Dominator is a dual level light widely used by LE/military.

bullinchinashop

Enlightened
ringzero said:
I started a thread for discussion of multi-level versus dual-level and single-level output lights.

The responses so far seem to be about evenly divided between preference for dual-level and multi-level lights.

To my amazement, so far not one poster has declared a preference for single-level lights.

CPF is frequented by fire and rescue people, LEOs, etc. that regularly get into situations where the reliability of their light can be a matter of life and death.

I expected that at least a few hard corps, 'Old School' types would still prefer the simplicity of operation and construction, and hence greater reliability, of single-level lights.

Most two & multi-level lights aren't worth the headache. No one has found a way to go from one level to another that everyone likes. Some prefer the high level to be first. Some want the low level to be first. Some like mode 1 mode 2 & then off. Some people like mode 1 off mode 2.
I think it's the interface that puts most people off more than anything else.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I could only have one light, I would want it to be a multi-level light. Fortunately, I can have all I want, so single level lights are acceptable to me.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends on the situation, in emergencies
Single-Level Lights are simpler to operate without the fuss,
The simple on/off twist of the MiniM@g, on/off click of a button.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't understand why there aren't more UIs that allow you to have multilevel and still set the light to come on a specific level. As well as setting each level to a brightness the user wants. That would allow you to have your cake and eat it too.

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lights I use for edc are all single level and that works great for me. I keep one bright light in a pocket and two small lights on my keychain. The bright light covers most of my needs. When a dim light is called for, out comes the keychain. I like to keep it somple.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's all about tradeoffs. All else being equal, a multi-level light is preferable to a single unless it has a cumbersome user interface. If the single is 50% cheaper, then I'd probably go for it. If 5% cheaper, probably not. Where the cutoff is depends on personal preference.

The only place I've seen an almost head to head comparison lately is between the 2 level Fenix L1S and the one level Civictor V1: they are priced about 17% apart, not including the cost impact of no clicky on the V1. Discounting for the clicky, Fenix charges very little for the extra circuitry to make their light a variable light = maybe 5%, and that's little enough savings to make the multi-level preferable.

Other manufacturers may charge differently or have different types of circuitry, resulting in a different choice. I notice that most front line manufacturers (Fenix, Jetbeam, Lumapower, etc.) are going toward both multi-level and Cree so that's clearly what they think we'd pay for, and they're probably right.

BTW, I've seen a few V1s being sold for $20 or so, and at that price, I'd probably go for it over a L1S - if I didn't have several V1s already. I joined the GB for the $30 Jetbeam twisty for the better Cree efficiency, the AR sapphire (not glass) window, the HAIII, AND the multi-levels. I probably wouldn't have paid the extra $10 just for multi-levels. I hope the Jetbeam actually arrives someday and all those things turn out to be true when it does.

Last edited:

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
A single level is typically fine, but 2 is better if it has a very dim (3-5 lumen) low mode. I typically use high and low, no matter how many levels the light actually has. I have absolutely no use for more than 3 levels. The trend to stuff as many levels as possible into a light does not appeal to me at all.

wakibaki

Newly Enlightened
I bought a couple of maglite knockoffs a few days ago. I'll probably put LEDs in them, but maybe not.

The fact that they have only one brightness level just didn't figure when I bought them.

If somebody invented a new device twice as good as the best LED, but that for technical reasons couldn't be dimmed, everybody would still buy the flashlights.

w

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
You don't really have to emphasize that "Old" stuff. :D

But yeah, I resemble that remark. I will not buy a multi-stage light. If I need to different levels, I'll carry two different lights. ... well I already to that ... ;)

ringzero said:

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most two & multi-level lights aren't worth the headache. No one has found a way to go from one level to another that everyone likes. Some prefer the high level to be first. Some want the low level to be first. Some like mode 1 mode 2 & then off. Some people like mode 1 off mode 2.
I think it's the interface that puts most people off more than anything else.
My solution that I'm surprised nobody has implemented is two separate switches -- one select brightness level, another to turn the light on and off. A click switch for on and off and a multi-level dial would work fine, or even an on-off switch and a separate high/low switch for simpler two-level lights.

Illum

Flashaholic
I prefer single-level lights by far over multi-levels...with the exception of the A2...sometimes the mclux, but thats a shelf king so its rarely used

Single level lights give more simplicity to its design, much more user-friendly for unenlightened folks [falmily, friends, coworkers who may use the light when conditions permit], plus you wont have to remember certain programming schematics to operate the light. Hence my avoidence of HDS lights:ohgeez:, not because they are of lesser quality, its because theres the programming feature and multi level design.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer single level lights. I own dozens of single level lights and 2 multilevel lights. The single level lights get used MUCH more than the multis, and the multis generally get used as single level lights, I usually forget there are multiple levels even. Just personal preference.