LumiLED's response to Cree and Seoul.

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have heard rumors and rumors of rumors that LumiLED is struggling to provide a response to Cree and Seoul. My question has to do with everybody, myself included, jumping into modding out their Luxeons with the newest Cree and Seoul (may I collectively call them the "Creole?"). I have done a simple Elly-to-Cree mod using existing reflector. Bright, yes. Complete satisfaction with beam pattern, no! The thing that confuses me is knowing what reflectors match with which LED, and which reflectors will fit in which lights, etc., to optimize the LED/reflector mating. The size and dimensions of the Creole are suited to different reflectors. This has really put a damper on me going hog-wild with the Creole LED's, since I really like the way some of my Luxeon's beam with their lenses. For example, my Elektrolumens XM-3 is pretty anemic for a Lux III and would benefit from a Creole, but I absolutely love the combination of spill and throw it gives, and don't want to lose it by having to go with a different reflector in order to optimize it for a Creole.

Today it dawned on me that if I can resist the urge to mod, maybe it would be better for me to wait for LumiLED's response to the Creole invasion. Is it a fair assumption that LumiLED's next generation LED in response to the Creole will have comparable height and dimensions of existing Luxeons? This would be a real boon, because would this not mean that all our Lux lights made "obsolete" with the Creole invasion would then become once again state-of-the-art with a simple emitter swap without having to deal with the hassle of sourcing a suitable reflector and hoping it matches well? The big question is when will LumiLED actually have product to ship to the masses? If my assumption is correct that the next LumiLED's will provide a means of a drop-in swap, fully compatible with today's reflectors currently servicing current Luxeons, I can definitely wait! What say?

PAB

Enlightened
I may not know where I am, but I'm not lost
Their press release said they were starting production this quarter and that the new LEDs will replace exsiting products over the next 12-18 months. So plan on waiting at least a year. Also, I'm not arware of any data sheets for the new vaporware. It should be the same size, but there is no way of telling at this time.

Last edited:

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
We all want something better, Look how many have bought The Fenix lights alone,
Jetbeam, Electrolumens, and others, not to mention the countless mods and thats just here on CPF. They are also being used for commercial applications

Skibane

Enlightened
Turbo DV8 said:
Q: Is it a fair assumption that LumiLED's next generation LED in response to the Creole will have comparable height and dimensions of existing Luxeons?

A: No.

:D

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
They will look and have the dimensions like the K2,
and will also be just a marketing hype
(and if not, Cree and SSC will have even more powerful Led then, in the year at least)

glire

Enlightened
I don't understand this dogma for Luxeon.

It's easier to find reflectors for 'Creoles' matching Lux's beams than to find a Lux matching Creole's brightness and efficiency :D
And AFAICK Lux's reflectors work with SSC's P4.

Last edited:

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
You bring up some interesting observations.
The situation as I see it is as follows.

I think it fair to say that we might have to wait quite a while for a Luxeon
competitor and when it arrives there will be no guarantee that its dimensions etc are similar to the Lux III.

I think the happiest users of Cree XR_E and Seoul P4 are the individuals who mod their own lights. They can select the tint, Vf, and reflector. They can machine the reflector to focus the beam and produce a very satisfactory result.

Users having to rely on someone else will take what is offered and in some cases will not be happy. We have all jumped on this a little quick.
For example, all the drivers we are using to power the 'Creols' were designed for Luxeon and the so called 'low' levels are just not low any more.

For people who actually use their lights, the need for a proper low level is important.

I will certainly mod up at least one of my lights when I can find a good LED that meets my requirements.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't hold my breath with Lumileds. The wait may well be about 6 months to a year before we actually see something. I think Lumileds made their choice back with the K2 when they decided to go with working on how hard they could drive their luxeons rather than how much more efficient they can be made and have fallen behind the curve because of that choice. So now they're playing catch-up. If you want a emitter that more closely matches the physicalities and dispersion pattern of Luxeons, then you should go for the Seoul P4. Eventhough some have mentioned they don't like the cooler (blue) tint that they have, many have found that they're excellent performers edging out the Cree just a bit. Personally I now pefer the SSCP4 over the Cree XR-E based on the fact that they work great in the reflector/optic systems used by Luxeons. The Crees work, but take more work to get to a desireable beam pattern.

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
However, the key feature of the device, containing a single 1x1 mm2 LED chip, is its very small size, only a fraction of the size of the Luxeon K2.
Key customers are evaluating the new device now. Unlike the K2 (which was announced a year before it was actually available), the new LED will be available immediately once the announcement is made.

interesting indeed :popcorn:

Pablo

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
However, the key feature of the device, containing a single 1x1 mm2 LED chip, is its very small size, only a fraction of the size of the Luxeon K2.
I guess this gives no useful information in terms of what the package profile will be!

MikeRD03

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

1x1 mm2 is only a fraction auf K2? What die size has a K2? Isn´t the cree die 1x1 mm2, too?

greets,
MikeRD03

L

LITEmania

what I'd like to share from what I hv been heard until today...

1. Die size : 1x1mm (same as Lux-I,III)
2. Die height : will be lower than current Luxeon
3. Package size : will be much smaller in diameter of primary optic.
4. Much easier in soldering. <- donno what this means, yet. :thinking:
5. Release all colors Red,Amber,Cyan,Green,Blue,R.Blue,White.

By releasing this new package, LML may kick off his competitors who partially enjoyed free riding on seconday optics which was compatible in their Luxeon clones.

So,as one of flasholic, we may enjoy 1AAA size torch as bright as 1CR123A light ? Who knows? :sssh: