Standard Base Cree Home Lights

ksonger

Newly Enlightened
Anyone got any inexpensive sources for this type of standard light? I have track lighting in my kitchen and it is a pain since the lights are always burning out. THese should last a long time as well as save a gruntload of energy. I was thinking along the lines of this:
"oops, posted a link with an image, sorry my bad. ebay has these things for about $24, 3 bulb cree warm white ~140 lumens with standard screw in bulb "

Perhaps a group buy somewhere?

ken

Last edited:

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting item. I also have similar track lighting but the cool color temperature is a no-go for my kitchen. I'd love to have an MR16 version for outdoor landscape lighting.

ksonger

Newly Enlightened
i think they come in both cool eg 6000 or warm, not mentioned. the warm has a lower output rating, i was thinking maybe alternating warm and cool bulbs.

Yes, i would like to find an inexpensive MR16 track setup and just rip out the existing since i believe the MR16 base bulbs would be cheaper. If these worked, i would put them everywhere? :)

ken

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
ksonger said:
i think they come in both cool eg 6000 or warm, not mentioned. the warm has a lower output rating, i was thinking maybe alternating warm and cool bulbs.

Yes, i would like to find an inexpensive MR16 track setup and just rip out the existing since i believe the MR16 base bulbs would be cheaper. If these worked, i would put them everywhere? :)

ken
I would not recommend mixing the bulbs from different color temperatures. If those are the only bulbs in the room, the 6000k might not actually look too bad. I believe that the cool white will also have somewhat better color rendering even though the color temperature may not be as pleasant, so that's another thing to take into consideration. I haven't tried the Cree warm white LEDs so I don't know, but my high power cree flashlights do make things look good when I light things up things around the house.

I'm actually somewhat surprised someone hasn't come up with a consumer-available low-wattage HID track light system to replace halogen spotlights, something like that would still have an edge over LEDs in terms of efficiency, color rendering (I've seen 4000k with high CRI in spotlights at the grocery store), and overall brightness.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
ksonger said:

ken

Ken, I would love to hear your opinion on these if you do decide to buy some. I'm trying to find a place to put a few of these in my house. I'm thinking a closet would be perfect since closet lights tend to go on and off frequently, something that I don't like doing to flourescent fixtures. 6000k temp is OK for closet use.

Latest posts