• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired ***L1D 123/AA body mod , Momentary Switch and Cigar Tac ring with Clip!**********

SKYWLKR

Enlightened
Get full 135 lumens of the L2D in the L1D package with ALL modes working!!! Body bored to accept Primary CR123 and spacer OR single AA.

I will check on viability for R123's if I get a few test cells or at least some VERY accurate measurements of widely used Rechargeable 123's

The Situation right now will be sending YOUR body in for machining till more bodies are available, and then I could do it as a core or straight up purchase.

I like this aspect better than a separate 123 body as this allows me to use AA's as well as the light doesn't change lengths.

This mod leaves a supporting surface of a bit over 1/2 inch at the bottom to keep the dummy and/or a Full AA centered.

A couple concerns some may have:
An O-ring on the AA might help for those that would like a more secure battery but I find the spring keeps it well centered.

And the front edge is now smaller so there is more pressure on the contact ring, but I rarely use the mode adjustment so it does not concern me, I also do not Jam it down and I polished the surface with 600 then 1000 grit wet or dry paper to make sure there is no roughness. (with over 300 cycles I fond no excess wear)

The dummy is made from 6061 with a wide button to allow as much contact as possible with the 123 and has a layer of Heat shrink on it to keep the dummy insulated, the dummy cell can also be fattened up a bit so as not to fall out when swapping 123's but it does make in the dark swap to AA's more difficult as it requires the removal of both the cap and head. I prefer the dummy in a lose state to drop out easily.

It looks like this!

This Mod will be determined by you, the USER/Purchaser to meet suitability, No warranty implied or given. It WILL Void the Fenix warranty, Your Mileage may vary, only fake CR123 cells and dummy AA's may be used in this Facsimile of a functional Light for the remainder of the half-life of the aluminum used...

All modes work, with the 123body mod it is seamless and works like the original. With the addition of the tactical button you simply cycle through the modes by using the button or cycling the tail cap and leaving it screwed it down when the desired mode is reached for full on.

Tac Ring and Momentary Switch:

This is a new ring that has a hidden locking ring, still does not mar the light and is adjustable for 2 lengths of pull as shown in the top and bottom clone pic.

and it now has a surefire style momentary with full on by twisting the cap ALA G2 and 6P!

Price:
$22 for the body bore and dummy cell.
$20 for Tac ring
and $20 for the button

OR $55 for all three.

Prices include First class shipping with delivery conformation, insurance Extra, $1.35 for body only $2.60 for light

edc.jpg

L1D123.jpg

l1d123tube.jpg

skytacl123dexp.jpg

adjusttacring.jpg

The SKYTAC RING (Patent Pending):Securly fits between the head and body of light, yet it still allows for full use of all the modes and does not in any way permanantly modify the light!

My technique is a bit rough due to a new light and the button guard digging into my hand but it gives you an idea.

skytacuseb.jpg

skytaca.jpg

Here is the pocket clip mounted to the cigar ring. Its reversable so you can position the clip at a couple diff areas on the light.

L123Dclip.jpg

L123Dclipa.jpg

Last edited:

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 123/AA body mod for L1D Feeler

I know you mentioned the head end seems a little thicker than the tail end, but would it be possible to do your bore job from the tail end? Then you wouldn't have to worry about the front edge digging into the contact ring in the head. It might eliminate worries of keeping the battery nipple aligned properly as well.

SKYWLKR

Enlightened

I really dont think it will be a real problem unless constant mode adjustments are made and even with the lower half of the battery centered it does not allow enough play to ever be not in full contact with the button. The bringing down of the head will naturally level and center the battery, I cant even get it to rattle.

The tail is substantially smaller,the tail rim is .025" smaller and the treaded part of the tail area is .040" smaller and the area under the O-ring would be aluminum foil thick after boring.

Coming from the tail will leave VERY little metal and the body would have to perfectly centered
I could make the Body a bit tighter ,but it might cause restrictions in the cells that can be used. It may have a bit of tightness in getting the cell in and out ,but the body is open ended.

Last edited:

CancerLad

Newly Enlightened

[Meg Ryan] yes, Yes, YES, YEESSS!!! [/Meg Ryan]

Fantastic idea. I would pay to have this done.

I don't think you could do this from the tail end. From what I have been reading, the L1D CE bodies use the same tail cap as the L1T bodies. This means you would be limited to the same inner diameter as the CR123 bodies that were made by Nekomane. This diameter was too small for rechargeable RCR123 batteries. But since the L1D CE has a larger diameter head, the AA body might be able to be bored out large enough for the RCR 123 batteries.

Just let me know when and where to send the Paypal. CancerLad.

SKYWLKR

Enlightened

The L1d Does infact use the L1T tail cap.

SKYWLKR

Enlightened

Here is the next stage in the SKYWLKR L123D... and my quest for the Perfect EDC light!

The SKY TAC RING (Patent Pending):Securly fits between the head and body of light, yet it still allows for full use of all the modes and does not in any way permanantly modify the light!

My technique is a bit rough due to a new light and the button guard digging into my hand but it gives you an idea.

I think I might machine 3 flats on the ring to make it a bit less in profile.

tacring1.jpg

skytacuseb.jpg

skytaca.jpg

LowTEC

Enlightened

Wouldn't it be alot easier by just using a 14500 battery to save all the work?

frosty

Enlightened

That's what I was thinking. I suppose the primary has a bit more capacity than the li-ion, but that's all.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast

LowTEC said:
Wouldn't it be alot easier by just using a 14500 battery to save all the work?
The starting voltage of the 14500 cell is too high. The L1D-CE goes into direct drive, and you can't use the low/med/high settings. Essentially, every setting goes turbo.

SKYWLKR

Enlightened

The CR123 is a Primary available almost anywhere albiet expensively...

I was in France and needed a battery... they had 123's ,AA's, D's and 2032's and thats about it...

Wal-mart doesn't carry Rechargeable Li Ions. and they actually have more capacity.

and there is the loss of the modes...

pjgeekass

Newly Enlightened

Ooh! I am absolutely interested in the 123 mod. Keep us updated!

SKYWLKR

Enlightened

pic's moved to top.

Last edited:

Perfectionist

Enlightened
Re: 123/AA body mod and tactical mods L1D Feeler

Sweet !! :sold:

Any ideas on the cost ??

Any chance you could also do this Mod on the upcoming JetBeam and Rexlight ?

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very good idea that makes this light a lot more flexible.

PB92

Newly Enlightened

SKY, with your 123 mod all modes still work yes? If so I'm interested. Cost?

SKYWLKR

Enlightened

All modes work,with the 123body mod it is seamless and works like the original. with the addition of the tactical button you simply cycle through the modes by using the button or cycling the tail cap and leaving it screwed it down when the desired mode is reached for full on.

Prices above.

Last edited:

MSHasegawa

Newly Enlightened

I'm interested SKYWLKR.

BTW, it may be better to bore out the body based on CR123 only instead of trying to fit RCR123. Nekomame body was already pretty thin bored for the primaries. Although the top of the body is thicker, I'm not sure how much meat there is towards the bottom.

Best not to push the body cavity boring...

Any Cal.

Enlightened

There is not much point in RC123 because a person could simply use a 14500 and get the same effect. Love the idea though.

SKYWLKR

Enlightened

Right now I'm boring it for a CR123 Primary, like Any Cal. said no a whole lot of call for a RCR123 dues to a 14500...

pjgeekass

Newly Enlightened

Were you planning on making the ring round, or having some flat sides that could act as an anti-roll device?