Dorcy PR based LED module?

PAB

Enlightened
I may not know where I am, but I'm not lost
I saw that dorcy is coming out with a new line of LED products in march. Looks like it's all mostly using the K2. Not terribly exciting, I know. But I saw a variable power PR based LED module that looked kind of interesting. I'm not sure, since I have trouble making out the picture, but it looks like it runs between 3-6V. Has anyone heard anything about this?

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem with Dorcy is that no major store that I know of actually carries a large selection of their flashlights nor do get Dorcy's newer product releases. Case in point, Target and Walfart. I know Sears carries Dorcy stuff, but it seems they're the same as they don't seem to offer that much of Dorcy's line of products. It's too bad Dorcy doesn't consider opening up their own online store...

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is this what you are posting about?

http://www.dorcy.com/products.aspx?p=411642

41-1642 | LED Module
**** AVAILABLE MARCH 2007 ****
Variable power LED
Convert your standard flashlight or lantern to LED!
Lifetime bulb- never need to replace your bulb again
Longer battery run time
Fits most flashlights

Don't get your hopes up too much. In order not to melt the bulb holders in plastic flashlights it is probably just a 1/2 watt LED. Sort of like a Nite-Ize PR bulb that focuses properly in plastic flashlights.

I am more interested in the upgrading of some of their older torches to 1/2 watt status - particularly the Turtlelite (4AA 1LED fliating lantern, cool blue etc.)
Dorcy list these as High Performance LED (ROTFLMAO) This really shows the disconnect between CPF members and what Dorcy considers the general public.
http://www.dorcy.com/products.aspx?c=30
http://www.dorcy.com/products.aspx?p=412498

Last edited:

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
The reality is that the general public isn't doesn't view flashlights like us CPF members. Everytime I tell someone my hobby is flashlights and I always get the response of: "Really...that's a hobby?" or "Flashlights??? Serious??". Seeing how one would find Dorcy's products at places like Target, Sears or Big5 Sporting Goods, I think the same people who give me those responses are the same kind of people who'd shop at those places. To them, anything brighter than a 5mm LED would be "High Performance". Still with that said, I actually like Dorcy's products. I just wished they would be willing to have their own online store since the major retail stores don't seem to carry a wide selection of Dorcy stuff.

wwglen

Enlightened
I bet that "Variable Power" means that it will work with different battery voltages like the current one only brighter.

wwglen

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast

41-1642 | LED Module
Variable power LED
Longer battery run time
Fits most flashlights
I bought one of those modules today to try in a Dorcy incan flashlight I bought last week in the bargain bin ($13 module for a $2.50 flashlight :thinking:)

While the LED module itself is fine, the dimpled reflector in the incan light resulted in a spot reminiscent of the Mag donut hole.

I also tried the LED module in my other incans (all have smooth reflectors), but there was always a donut hole.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought one of those modules today to try in a Dorcy incan flashlight I bought last week in the bargain bin ($13 module for a $2.50 flashlight :thinking:)

While the LED module itself is fine, the dimpled reflector in the incan light resulted in a spot reminiscent of the Mag donut hole.

I also tried the LED module in my other incans (all have smooth reflectors), but there was always a donut hole.

I use this module in the Energizer 2AA Industrial and the Dorcy Gel 2AA lights and it provides a nice beam(faceted reflectors).I have noticed that there is a donut hole in some of the other flashlights I have tried it in.Another poster on Marketplace suggested bending the metal lip to adjust the height of the led in the flashlight's reflector.If you fool with it a little you may be able to clean up the beam.
I actually like this module as it will operate on a single battery.Thanks to LED Ninja I put one in a Dorcy single AAA and it makes a nice light for using around the house.No strong blue color like you get from Nichia LEDs.

vtunderground

Enlightened

41-1642 | LED Module
Variable power LED
Longer battery run time
Fits most flashlights

Don't get your hopes up too much. In order not to melt the bulb holders in plastic flashlights it is probably just a 1/2 watt LED. Sort of like a Nite-Ize PR bulb that focuses properly in plastic flashlights.[/url]

I've messed around with that LED drop-in a bit... it's pretty decent once you replace the stock Luxeon emitter with a Seoul P4. I've read that it shouldn't be fed more than 4.5v, though. Never tried more than 3v, myself. If it came with one of the new K2 TFFC emitters, I'd buy one.

europachris

Newly Enlightened
I've messed around with that LED drop-in a bit... it's pretty decent once you replace the stock Luxeon emitter with a Seoul P4. I've read that it shouldn't be fed more than 4.5v, though. Never tried more than 3v, myself. If it came with one of the new K2 TFFC emitters, I'd buy one.

I don't even think it's a Luxeon. I recently bought one at Lowe's to fiddle with and while I like it (in an Ace rubber 2xAA and Dorcy Gel 2xAA - same basic guts), the emitter doesn't match any "known" emitter I've seen on here:
IMG_0007crop.jpg

I'd guess it's around 35 or 40 lumens tops, and in my 2-D Mag it threw a pretty ugly beam with greenish/yellowish areas to the pattern. In the cheap lights with the faceted reflectors, it gives a real nice floody beam with a bit of a central hotspot and nice spill. I use it daily at work for close mechanical inspection.

Chris

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't even think it's a Luxeon. I recently bought one at Lowe's to fiddle with and while I like it (in an Ace rubber 2xAA and Dorcy Gel 2xAA - same basic guts), the emitter doesn't match any "known" emitter I've seen on here:
IMG_0007crop.jpg

I'd guess it's around 35 or 40 lumens tops, and in my 2-D Mag it threw a pretty ugly beam with greenish/yellowish areas to the pattern. In the cheap lights with the faceted reflectors, it gives a real nice floody beam with a bit of a central hotspot and nice spill. I use it daily at work for close mechanical inspection.

Chris

I agree that doesn't look like a LUX I but it is very different from the LED replacements I purchased at http://www.dorcydirect.com/. The pictures on Dorcy's web site are not accurate either as they show a side emitter.The modules I received were domed LUX I and the emitter is exposed with wires showing.Is Dorcy offering another model or have they changed since I purchased mine?Your picture looks more like the TerraLUX LED replacement but I think they use the LUX I as well.I purchased my modules late last year.

Last edited:

darknessemitter

Enlightened
IMG_0007crop.jpg

Chris

Um, but that's the new Nite Ize drop-in, and this thread is about the Dorcy drop-in....

europachris

Newly Enlightened
Um, but that's the new Nite Ize drop-in, and this thread is about the Dorcy drop-in....

Yes, I realize that, but I believe the Nite-Ize, Dorcy, and TerraLux PR drop-ins to be one in the same, and my Nite-Ize version is probably the latest batch with a "counterfeit" emitter, not a true Lux.

Chris

[EDIT]: Well, I ordered a couple PRs from Dorcy Direct. I have several 2xAA Gel Brite lights around the house that are ideal candidates, so I can put them to good use, as well as compare to the Nite-Ize I already have.

Last edited:

europachris

Newly Enlightened
Well, my Dorcy PR drop-ins arrived yesterday, and indeed, they are Lux I emitters, but it doesn't look like the TerraLux TLE-1F:
theshorelinemarket_2041_406628741
It has the same Lux I emitter, but doesn't have the metal "cap" covering the wires to the emitter. Tried to find a pic to post here as reference, but can't find one and don't have the bulb handy to take a pic.

My Nite-Ize module looks just like the TerraLux, but as I posted earlier, uses some other emitter (unknown) in place of the Lux I.

Nevertheless, the Dorcy modules work equally well in my 2xAA Dorcy and Ace lights with the faceted reflectors. Nice throw, very smooth beam, and nice spill. I'll compare the Dorcy vs. Nite-Ize back to back this weekend, but they appear pretty close in lumen output. I'll also try the Dorcy in my incand. 2D Mag and see how it works compared to the Nite-Ize. I'd expect similar results across the board.

Chris

europachris

Newly Enlightened