About the L1D-CE or L2D-CE and the battery types

zerafull

Newly Enlightened
Hi everybody

I have fews question for you :

If i buy a L1D ce with battery Li-Ion 14500 rechargeable 3,6 volt and 750 mha protected..

1 - The power (lumens) of the L1D Ce in Turbo mode with 14500 cell 3,6 volt will be better than L2D CE with 2AA (3volts) (same Bulb, head and led, it's logic i think) ?
But the Battery capacity of the 14500 is low, with only 750 mah, it's a problem versus AA classic capacity ? bigs differences ?

2 - Same question for the LD2 CE, if i use two classic AA cells rechargeables (1,2 volt only by cell, vs 1,5 normal AA) the power with lumens will be different ?

what is the best compromise ?

thank you by advance :)

regards

cdosrun

Enlightened
Zerafull,

this has been/is a hotly discussed topic. I have included links to three threads where the cell types and output have been discussed.

Discussed here
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/149890&page=4&pp=30

Comparison shots here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/152286

More discussion and comparison here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/151460

A quick summary to answer your questions from what I remember.

1 - Yes, a 3.6v cell will be brighter than 3v of primaries however, you will not have access to any brightness level other than maximum as the torch will be running in direct drive, if the current is high enough, this may reduce the life expectancy of the LED. The capacity of the Li cell is lower than the NiMH because the voltage is much higher (3x), whilst the power density of Li-ion is higher than NiMH, I don't think the protected 14500 are particularly high density (protected cells have lower cpacity due to the size requirements of the protection circuit).

2 - Two NiMH cells will probably give you a longer runtime than alkaline primaries. The capacity of modern NiMHs is high, and they are better suited to the high current draw than the alkalines (which drop their voltage quickly, and lose discharge capacity at such draw currents). Have a look at the beam shots in the threads for brightness comparison.

Andrew

zerafull

Newly Enlightened
thank you for your great reply andrew, excelent !

But just by curiosity, with 14500 cell and L1D CE you have only the turbo mode directly ? same method than the surfire G2, one stage, on/off ?

We are in the new generation of flashlights now, i'm so exiting :)

regards

Last edited:

cdosrun

Enlightened
Zerafull,

with the L1D, in turbo mode, you always have instant access to turbo mode independent of cell type. The only difference between the NiMH and Li-ion is that with the latter, all the modes are the same brightness (BRIGHT, brighter than a single NiMH) and you can't turn the brightness down until the cell voltage drops a bit.

As for on/off, if you put the L1D into turbo mode (by screwing the head down) it will come on at full brightness when you turn the switch on and obviously, turn off when you click the switch again. The other option in this mode (strobe) will only come on if you turn the light back on within 1.5 seconds of turning it off.

I think there are some good descriptions of the light's operation in the links I gave you in my previous post.

Hope that helps,

Andrew