Helping friend finding a light!

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
Since I´m addicted to flashlights my friend asked me if I could help him finding a new light for him. Of course I´m willing to help! So now I´m asking you guys to help me help him...

He works as an rescue swimmer and therefore needs a light that can be worn in the pocket while swimming. he also want as much throw as possible, the light should be pocket size. Battery choice dosent matter.
He wants to be able to operate the light while wearing gloves also.

have looked on some of Streamlights and Pelican lights, but dont know anything at all about those lights.

Would be very grateful if someone could help me find him a light, I am also interested in one! Felt that since I dont have a light thats waterproof I must have one!

And if you/we find him a light, maybe we got another one hooked on this addictive hobby! :D

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
UK 4AA LED Zoom comes to mind
Peli's Recoil series might come in handy, but they're rather big. Peli makes a whole bunch of other lights suitable for water environments, and they have bombproof construction and outstanding warranty.

pec50

Enlightened
Agree; look at the Pelicans. Also, the UK 2L is very small and dive rated. Coming in larger are the Princeton Tec Rage and UK Mini Q40.

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
looks nice, only question is how it throws? Have to take my friend out so he can see the diffrence between some of my lights so he can deside which kind of output he is requestion exactly.

SureFire G2 is that waterproof enough to carry in the pocket while swimming? Its not a led though, but I might get one, like the looks on it

greenLED

Flashaholic
I had a UK Q40 and it doesn't really throw that much. That's why I suggested the LED Zoom. For an absolutely focused beam - Peli's Recoil technology.

:thinking:
Exactly what does a rescue swimmer do? Are we talking beach life guard type of occupation, white whater rescue, open sea? You mention him wanting to keep a light "in the pocket", but is that the pocket of his trunks, PFD, harness? I ask because I'm thinking of potential alternative carry methods.

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
Dont know the right word, like the US coastguard, like in the movie The Guardian, hes the guy jumping in the water from the helicopter. I guess hes got a pocket of some kind, guess hes going to use it in other situations too. But mainly on work, and he mentioned that he wanted to be able to operate the light with his gloves. Think its somekind like Hatch SWG or some simular kind

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED Lenser Dim & Dive Powerchip LED torch features: Model ZL 7798

* 1.25W Power Chip.
* Improved Reflector optics.
* Dimmer (control brightness)
* Depth Rating - 60M 7 BAR
* Battery - 3 x AAA
* Length - 108mm
* Lumens - 63
* Comes with Sheath & Lanyard
* Packed in Handsome black gift box.

jrmcferren

Enlightened
Not an expert here by a long shot, but would a Surefire be up to the duty? I'm thinking an A2 aviator, red to preserve night vision and the incans for the stuff that needs good light. Always carry a backup light for this mission critical stuff though.

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
jrmcferren said:
Not an expert here by a long shot, but would a Surefire be up to the duty? I'm thinking an A2 aviator, red to preserve night vision and the incans for the stuff that needs good light. Always carry a backup light for this mission critical stuff though.

That could maybe work, but how about being waterproof, surefire claims that theire lights are waterproof to 10feet, but accordning to Flashlight Reviews its not to be considered waterproof, and not to use in water.

Otherwise the G2 looks rather nice!

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
A (yellow is a nice colour) SF G2 should be waterproof to 10m. AFAIK rescue swimmers don't dive, they stay at the surface of just below. There are plenty of aftermarked rechargeable solutions for this light as well. It is small, sturdy and not too expensive ($30..)

IMHO led lights aren't as good for this work since their light seems to wash out colours. This would make finding a person in choppy water more difficult than with an incan.

Pelican, Princeton tec and UK make nice dive waterrproof lights, but most of them are larger and not as bright unless modified.

Sverre

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
I personally like the G2, Im very close to purchase one of them....rechargeable sounds very nice!

I have a couple of diffrent suggestions for my friend now, lets see if there is one he likes!

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
FlashSpyJ said:
I personally like the G2, Im very close to purchase one of them....rechargeable sounds very nice!

I have a couple of diffrent suggestions for my friend now, lets see if there is one he likes!

You need 2 17670 Li-ion (protected) batteries, a charger and the Wolf Eyes 3.7V 100 lumen bulb from Lighthound. He stocks everything you need including a G2. Lighthound ships to Europe and does so reasonably as well. If you are unsure about customs and so on I would send John at Lighthound an e-mail;)
It is a pretty common set-up and I use it in my G2 with very good results.

Sverre

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
NoFair said:
You need 2 17670 Li-ion (protected) batteries, a charger and the Wolf Eyes 3.7V 100 lumen bulb from Lighthound. He stocks everything you need including a G2. Lighthound ships to Europe and does so reasonably as well. If you are unsure about customs and so on I would send John at Lighthound an e-mail;)
It is a pretty common set-up and I use it in my G2 with very good results.

Sverre

I have been thinking of this combo for my selves... How long runtime do you have on a 17670 batt with the 100lumen bulb?

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
FlashSpyJ said:
I have been thinking of this combo for my selves... How long runtime do you have on a 17670 batt with the 100lumen bulb?

I'm getting about 50 minutes, but I'm running unprotected ones so I swap battery when the beam isn't as white as wanted.

The alternative would be a G3 with 2 17500 cells, this would be brighter and cr123s can always be popped in if the Li-ions run out...

Sverre