2007 shot show report

Perfectionist

Enlightened
What the funk !!

LRI aren't bringing out a Cree based Proton !!

What the funk !!

They can't be that stupid ??

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perfectionist said:
What the funk !!

LRI aren't bringing out a Cree based Proton !!

What the funk !!

They can't be that stupid ??

I don't know if "stupid" is the word I'd use but they sure are stubborn. The president has a high output LED phobia- he doesn't want to deal with hand picked binning issues. Whether this is still a significant problem with the Crees, I'm not sure, but it sure scared them off of luxeons. I figure they really should give it another go, since even with less bright Cree bins, you are still getting the efficiency you need for good brightness (probably better than the Nichia CS's, without being overdriven, and with better beam characteristics and tint) and decent runtime on a single AA. I know everyone already loves the UI, so why not put a little R&D into a new reflector and give it a try.

I'm sure that LRI has a million Nichia CS's laying around and there are many reasons for them to be "lazy" but its looking like they will soon be eclipsed by better and brighter things if they don't start changing their act.

Back to the Shot report: is it just me, or were the only exciting lights at that show from HDS and Surefire? It seems like most everything else covered is some rebranding of a Chinese light or an overhaul of an existing product. The knives and multitools captured my interest far more this year- that Kershaw NRG looks awesome, as does the new lightweight multitool that Leatherman was showing.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
Solstice said:
Back to the Shot report: is it just me, or were the only exciting lights at that show from HDS and Surefire? It seems like most everything else covered is some rebranding of a Chinese light or an overhaul of an existing product. The knives and multitools captured my interest far more this year- that Kershaw NRG looks awesome, as does the new lightweight multitool that Leatherman was showing.

hello, Solstice,

interesting observations there. Just wanted to add that I checked out the NRA magazine which had a report on the SHOT SHOW.

Basically, just wanted to mention that they have nothing on flashlights, they focus on firearms. Maybe what you say explains this, on the grounds that there wasn't much of great interest on flashlights there.

I was pretty excited from the reports at first, but a lot of it seems to be centered on Surefires that might take several months before becoming available (actually even their catalog has still not been updated on their website!). Plus they seem to be charging a lot for the Titan (which came in for some criticism here, let me not repeat it).

Another new item was a Molle flashlight from Pentagon Lights. I posted the updated info from their website as soon as I found out about it (the show had no detailed info) - but judging from the non-reaction of folks here that light didn't capture the imagination either.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
flashy bazook said:
Another new item was a Molle flashlight from Pentagon Lights. I posted the updated info from their website as soon as I found out about it (the show had no detailed info) - but judging from the non-reaction of folks here that light didn't capture the imagination either.

OK, we have new info. on the above - those Molle lights are now gathering some favorable attention. I of course also liked their looks a lot - which is why I took the trouble to set up a thread on them together with links and a picture!

but now at least I lost some of my enthusiasm because (to my tastes) they seem a bit underpowered and only use a 1xAA battery. I was hoping for a more substantial flashlight (more powerful LED, maybe a 2xC formfactor). Of course, some disagree and like the new formfactor and 0.5W power.

Last edited:

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
flashy bazook said:
...those Molle lights are now gathering some favorable attention. I of course also liked their looks a lot - which is why I took the trouble to set up a thread on them together with links and a picture!

but now at least I lost some of my enthusiasm because (to my tastes) they seem a bit underpowered and only use a 1xAA battery. I was hoping for a more substantial flashlight (more powerful LED, maybe a 2xC formfactor). Of course, some disagree and like the new formfactor and 0.5W power.
I like the look and apparent useability too, especially if you know people that won't wear a headlight. The Pentagon Molle light is great for my camping friends like that.
But the 1AA and 30 lumens (almost certainly less than that, more like 20) is plenty for military that might like this. I bought a Streamlight TL-3 for my brother in the Marines and he ditched it for a small Maglight because he needs a smaller and dimmer light in Iraq while practicing light discipline so as not to be seen. The Molle may be just right or even too much for his uses.

Spordin

Enlightened
Pentagon MOLLE light: What I can't understand is the reported 3-hr runtime. Doesn't that seem pretty short, even for alkalines?

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spordin said:
Pentagon MOLLE light: What I can't understand is the reported 3-hr runtime. Doesn't that seem pretty short, even for alkalines?
According to Flashlightreviews.com:
* The L1P made only 1hr 7 minutes to 50% on an Alkaline and that was starting at ~30L, dropping to less than 26L in ten minutes, poorly regulated.
* The L1T starts at slightly lower output and runs 1:30 on alkaline. It has a little better regulation curve than the L1P, but still goes into moon mode at 1:45.
* LF1 ~26L for 1:03 to 50% well regulated, ~1:10 to moon mode.
* Jetbeam Mk1 ~31L for 1:18 to 50% semi-regulated like the L1T, 1:45 to moon mode.

Three hours is not bad if that is what it actually runs. The real question: is that 3hrs to 50%, or time with "useable light?"

Last edited:

Spordin

Enlightened
You're right I did some research on flreviews and compared other .5w lights. That's about where it stands right now, unless the run time given is less than real world times.

beakman

Newly Enlightened
Anyone have any info about those illumitack LED marker lights? SHOT Show Page 3 Seems like it would be handy to include a few of the flashing ones in a car kit, to stick to the outside of your car if you're pulled over with car trouble. And keep a couple of the constant-on ones in the car for interior lighting. I guess it depends on how bright they really are.

beakman

aceo07

Enlightened
On page 2, the Ally lights from Night-Ops looks 100% like the Nuwait lights.
http://www.equipped.com/pp/pic_blackhawk07.htm#third
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_tm301x3.htm

The only real difference is that they use a newer luxeon led. It's kinda disappointing seeing as the Nuwai has been out for a TWO years and all Night-Ops did was buy the exact model (with a more current luxeon led) and rebadge with their name on it.

Oh, they did also ADD an additional $130 to the original Nuwai price.

luigi

Enlightened
aceo07 said:
On page 2, the Ally lights from Night-Ops looks 100% like the Nuwait lights.
http://www.equipped.com/pp/pic_blackhawk07.htm#third
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_tm301x3.htm

The only real difference is that they use a newer luxeon led. It's kinda disappointing seeing as the Nuwai has been out for a TWO years and all Night-Ops did was buy the exact model (with a more current luxeon led) and rebadge with their name on it.

Oh, they did also ADD an additional $130 to the original Nuwai price.

I was perplexed at this. I can't believe the company that started with the Gladius is now copying Nuwai lights with no significant features and an incredible price.

Luigi