Most compact HID?

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am looking for the smallest HID light with the following points;

at least 500 lumens.

can use normal CR123 cells and/or the new hi-capacity rechargable RCR123 cells with a dummy cell. (3x 3.7 = 11.1 + 1x dummy cell)

run time at least one hour.

Thanks in advance.

LowTEC

Enlightened
Boxer 10W is one of the smallest production HID you can get, but you will not be getting "at least" one hour run time with those tiny R123As, it costs around 200 bucks which is an awesome deal

Or you may wait for random Mac's Mini-HID 10W sale which is about the same size but prepare to pay premium for a custom light.

Mac's Mini-mini-HID 10W is absolutely smallest HID (almost 1 inch shorter than Boxer 10W), but with shipping and paypal premium, finned head, glass lense and what not, it is closer to 400 bucks; you can get a decent production 24W HID, 3X as bright, comes with charger and batteries for a lower price :lolsign:

good luck picking the right HID :)

Sable

Enlightened
I have a Mini-Mini HID (Not selling!) and it's running 3x MP 700mAh R123 cells. It gets about 30 minutes of run time - which sounds right; the WA ballast and bulb are pulling 1.0 amps out of a 700mAh series supply. Barring R123s doubling in capacity, you're not going to get an hour of runtime straight out of it.

However, Microfire makes (what I assume is) an all right 10w, although by some accounts it isn't as good as the WA Solarc parts that custom builders are putting in their lights. You can also look at AE PowerLight or the Boxer 24w for some more serious output; or if you have lots of cash to burn, Polarion makes some mind-boggling compact HIDs (But at almost 2100 bucks for the PH40...).

cy

Flashaholic
smallest HID is a bicycle head-light with separate 4x 18650 pack.

I've got two... HID Storm and Arc HID

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I have been looking at two lights; a Microfire Warrior K500 and a W/E Boxer. Both of these lights run about an hour on regular 4x CR123 cells, are about 6" long and produce 500 lumens. With 3x RCR123 cells and a dummy cell these lights would most likely run only for about 30 minutes, I think I could live with that. I know that I could get the Boxer for around the $200.00 mark, I am not sure about the cost of the K500, anyone know? Are there any others along these lines?

bhj1

Newly Enlightened
I own the WE Boxer 10W 4x123 and I love this little light. Puts out a lot of useful light and the runtime is pretty accurate - almost exactly 60 minutes. I also own a Microfire 24W as well as a WE Boxer 24W. Both brands are well made. The Microfire lights seem to appear a little more rugged upon inspection, but I have yet to test this out. The WE lights have the highly adjustable beam shape, a nice added feature. The small size of the WE 10W makes it very appealing to carry, as the weight is not bad.

Bill

02Scuba

Banned
I think bhj1 has the answer. I have several HID's and that little Boxer is great. It will run 4 x123s or 3 rechargeable's that you can get from WE. OMS makes a small HID dive light that is smaller and runs off 3 123,s but it is rated at 450 lumens and I think the Boxer is a lot brighter and it's less expensive but its not rated for 500 feet.

But be careful, once you start down the HID path all that light becomes intoxicating and going back to those little LED's or halogen is tough. Longer run times with HID's and a lot more light. Good luck and happy shopping.

LowTEC

Enlightened
02Scuba said:
But be careful, once you start down the HID path all that light becomes intoxicating and going back to those little LED's or halogen is tough. Longer run times with HID's and a lot more light

That is so true, my EDC D-mini seems pale now but it's also frustrating that I can't have my Boxer in my pocket all the time without looking like a weirdo, although it IS one of the smallest production HID available today.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the money and availability i'd get the Boxer 10W. But my mini-mini HID is definately a great little piece of hardware. If you happen to be on the forums at the right time you can pick one up for not toooo much more than the Boxer. But if you just want a light and dont care if its custom or rare or anything like that pick up a Boxer. One of the best bang for the buck handheld HID's out there right now.

Shane