Surefire C2 - with SSC P4, McR27L, and other goodies

c0t0d0s0

Enlightened
This is my 1st serious flashlight mod... I figured that the M2 bezel I had laying around collecting dust would make a nice host for an McR27L reflector, and it worked out quite nicely. I also used a McCapsule with a Downboy 700 converter in it, and an SSC P4 emitter. The mod is pretty straightforward, the hardest part was opening the bezel. Here's the pictures...

M2 bezel opened up:

M2 bezel with McR-27L in it. The shock-absorbing foam inside helps center the reflector.

Assembled McCapsule with SSC P4:

I also added a gold plated spring to the rear of the McCapsule for better contact and extra bling factor.

Rear of the reflector, about .025" of metal ground off:

I also used some epoxy putty around the LED to "bed" the reflector, which basically helps center the reflector upon assembly/disassembly and releives the pressure from the LED once the bezel is tightened. Patent pending :D

This is how everything looks before putting it together:

Complete light. Very small gap between the bezel and the body, filled with a GITD ring:

The money shot!

It's alive!
(it's the wall that's blue, not the beam. The actual tint of the emitter is a very pleasant, warm white with a little hint of yellow in the hotspot, with good color rendition):

Fenix L2P upgraded with SSC P4 at 350 mA on the left, modded C2 on the right. Note the tint difference between the 2 Seoul emmiters that came from 2 different sources and obviously different color bins. The emmiter used in this project is a 5350K SV0 bin from PhotonFanatic, the one in the Fenix came from the Shoppe - 6500K, exact color bin unknown.

The beamshots don't actually do it justice. The beam actually has a very small and intense hotspot that got overexposed on the pictures, and lots of nice smooth spillbeam. About 2x the output of a P60 bulb, with more throw, and 1.5 hours of regulated runtime on a pair or RCR123s... what else can I wish for?

So, here's what went into this light:

1 Surefire C2: $100
1 used M2 bezel: $40
1 McR27L reflector: $18
1 McCapsule: $20
1 Downboy 700 converter: 16.50
1 SSC P4 LED: $13
1 McC2s 2-stage switch: $30

Total: $237 and change
Total satisfaction from having just put together a perfect light: priceless :D

Last edited:

c0t0d0s0

Enlightened
Thank you everyone :D

I had actually attempted this conversion using a Cree LED and an McR27-XR, but the results weren't that great. The beam was just too ringy for my taste and the throw wasn't that spectacular... so i scraped my original design and rebuilt everything with a Seoul and an McR27L. This emitter/reflector combo is absolutely unbelievable!

I only wish I had used a Downboy 1000 for this mod... I was a bit concerned about heat management, since the McCapsule doesn't have a lot of contact with the flashlight body, that's why I decided to underdrive the emitter a little... but after a prolonged run the capsule barely gets warm! Looks like the reflector helps dissipate some heat, too. Oh well, I do get some extra runtime...

Anyone want a slighly used P60 assembly? :D

Last edited: