Ripple in various light sources

*Retired*
It has been a while since I did some light source ripple posts, these are measurements of the actual light comming out of various sources I happened to have sitting nearby, or on my person:

Old Costco silver flashlight:

costco.png

Peak multiple LED UV flashlight:

peakuv~1.png

40W Incandescent bulb (if you think for a moment, you'll understand why the ripple frequency is 120Hz):

incande.png

McGizmo PD on high (Wiz2x2):

pdhigh~1.png

McGizmo PD on low (Wiz2x2):

pdlow~1.png

Fluorescent bulb, electronic ballast:

fluorbe.png

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
I'm sure a lot of work went into making those graphs, but I'm EE-impaired, NewBie. Could you please elaborate on what the "squiggly" lines mean? Most importantly (I guess), what do the differences in the curves mean in the "real world".

:thanks:

*Retired*
The ripple is the light output going up and down. In these examples, it is something you would not see by eye.

LEDs also get less efficient, the more ripple they have. The PD Wiz 2x2 has the least ripple.

Higher frequency ripple causes additional dissipation in an LED die.

BrighTor

Newly Enlightened
Hehe, before I looked at who posted it, I thought this thread was going to be about low on-hand stock at the usual light stores/sources...

Thank you for the explanation, NewBie.

RickB

Newly Enlightened
Cool stuff! If I'm understanding my electronics, a direct-drive incandescent should show no ripple, right? What about a hotdriver like AWR's, or the Surefire A2?

-Rick