Energizer DB AA's and 123s: They Do Indeed Fit

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Energizer DB AA\'s and 123s: They Do Indeed Fit

I couldn't find the string where someone (pardon my memory) suggested that he thought that 123's would fit into the DB if the AA battery tube was removed.

Not only do they fit, but they fit like they DB was made for 123's. So, a DB 4AA, 6AA, or 8AA could be be crammed full of 123's in parallel for reasonable run times with various SF HOLA's

I still don't want to spend the money for 123's in a DB 6AA or DB8AA but 6 of them plus spacers in a DB 4AA could slightly overdrive a P90 for more than two hours or a P91 for a reasonable amount of time.

I still like the operating costs of using a slightly longer DB 6AA with 6 NIMH's and a P91 like Aragorn did.

Footlight

Newly Enlightened
Re: Energizer DB AA\'s and 123s: They Do Indeed Fit

I don't know about the 6AA's or 8AA's but when I tried an Energizer E2 123 in my DB 4AA, the battery would only go about half-way in before hitting a step machined inside the barrel. So some boring out would be needed to fit the 123's in the barrel. BTW, my 4AA has no battery holder inside - the batteries slide straight in the barrel.

I don't have a 6AA, but I saw one at my local supermarket the other day for the equivalent of US$16. Might pick one up on my next visit when my wife is not with me
grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Hey you're right, its a perfect fit. My 8AA can take 6 123s (+ a small piece of aluminium foil) in each barrel.

While the PBT reflectors may be designed to be heat resistant, I think a 36 watt halogen globe (18 volts at 2 amps) may just melt everything!

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast

Someguy:

I agree. But see the string about successfully loading a 4 cell UKE 18 Watt bulb and running it in the DB 8AA for bursts of 5 minutes at a time so far.

What do new DB 8AAs cost down under? I wonder what it would cost to ship a half dozen or so of them to the states? Could you suggest a reseller who'd entertain an export order?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

It seems like stores here are also starting to liquidate their stock of 8AA DBs despite Energizer Australia claiming that its not yet a discontinued product.

I've just bought one for Craig at A$25 (around US$13) however I believe they originally sold for A$50. The last time I check, that store had one more left although it may have a dislodged and possibly broken bulb. Of course if I buy it and the globe is broken, Energizer will replace it as their customer service is amazing.

Anyway if you want I can ask a retailer whether they are willing (or are even allowed to) sell and ship a couple of 8AA DBs out to the US. However I would expect it to cost around US$20 per torch excluding S+H.