• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Mod What AAA Flashlight to Cree?

Quantumstate

Banned
I came close to buying the Fenux L0Dce, but three things bother me:

- It makes more of a spot-beam than I want. I'm a real estate broker, who needs to look around dark basements, and squire clients through dark backyards. A 20 degree beam or better would be fine.

- Two people dropped their L0Dce on concrete, and this gave a nasty ding. This means that although the anodization may be a Type 3, the billet is a cheap Al alloy.

- I've asked Fenix to buy a Q3 flux binned L0Dce, but they say that, which bins go where is a secret, and that they mix bins. Well, balls. We all know that Q2's go in the P1Dce and cheap off-color dies go in the L1Dce, and that a given bin is the same on a whole tape.

I want a penlight that has the Q3.

So is there a high-grade AAA penlight out there of aircraft Al and a natural or titanium finish, which has an outdated LED and can be modded? Seems like one problem would be that I'd need to add a driver board, and there may not be room in a standard LED flashlight.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
sounds like you need one of those millermods arc aaa with the cree... thought I read something about that here somewhere.

Quantumstate

Banned
Agh, $145, and the beamshots look about the same as an L0Dce to me. Maybe a little dimmer.

Maybe I should buy a L0P and put in my own Q3. Anyone know whether the head is epoxied together? Is the driver board OK? WOuld the light be regulated?

VWTim, can you please give details?

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quantumstate said:
Agh, $145, and the beamshots look about the same as an L0Dce to me. Maybe a little dimmer.

Maybe I should buy a L0P and put in my own Q3. Anyone know whether the head is epoxied together? Is the driver board OK? WOuld the light be regulated?

the q3 head is epoxed together, throw it in the freezer for a few hours. that might break it loose.

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
Quantumstate said:

Those beamshots are for a P3 at only 3/4 Watt. A Q2 or Q3 at 1.25 or 1.5 Watts will be in another league entirely!

Quantumstate

Banned
Thanks Chana, but I'm concerned about quality at that price.

I've about decided it would be best to put a Q3 in the Fenix L0Dce. I've about figured out how to get it apart.

But I don't like the spot beam of these Cree flashlights, so Don Mc has turned me on to diffusion gratings. Replace the lens with this, a wonderful and efficient solution.

VWTim

Enlightened
At least with my L0P reflector I was able to bring the LED back a bit and got rid of the hotspot and it went to full flood. Very similar to the CR2 Ion's beam if you've seen one.