Need Light for Medical Deployment to Eastern Chad

l1s125

Newly Enlightened
My cousin, he's an epidemiologist, is going to eastern Chad with Doctors Without Borders for 6 months, probably less, considering the situation there. The DWB relief effort is pretty efficiently supplied, but he asked me to recommend a light for personal use and night time navigation.

Here's some background of what he's getting into. Chad borders the Sudan to the east, and there's been some major turmoil in the Sudan. Tons of refugees have fled to Chad where they were being helped by the UN, DWB and other NGOs. But the situation in Chad is now deteriorating, there are several rebel groups that are trying to violently remove the current president of Chad. The UN and other groups are leaving because of the insecurity, but DWB has decided to increase their efforts for the time being to take up the slack, at least until the situation becomes patently unsafe.

Here's what he wants. There are plenty of light sources available for the work areas. There are actual hospital buildings with electricity, so he doesn't need anything too bright. His stated requirements were, not too bright, AA, or AAA preferable, and doesn't look military.

I've been considering: Inova X1, Arc AAAP, or Arc AA if I can find one. He'll mostly be using it to navigate in areas with little to no light polution, so low lumens are fine, or even preferable, he probably doesn't want to attract attention to himself at night. Also, it should be utterly bombproof, 'cause he'll primarily be using it as an emergency light source, and his life and others under his care may depend on it at some point.

He may not even end up in Chad, but where ever they send him, the requirements will stay the same. What do you guys suggest?

speederino

Enlightened
The Gerber Infinity Ultra would meet your requirements in lieu of the unobtainium Arc AA. Single AA, long runtime, not too bright, and rugged. Twisty tailcap switch means no clicky to fail. You probably want to stick with AA since they can be had almost anywhere. AAA not so much. You also want a light that will work on 'heavy duty' batteries since that is common in the third world.

Battery Station has the Gerber IU for $15 on their CPF special page.

Happy hunting!

R11GS

Newly Enlightened
LRI Proton.

Completely variable light levels. Red light in addition to white for night vision preservation and stealth. Tiny and durable. Uses one readily available anywhere AA. Can't think of a better light for what you are suggesting.

For complete "bombproof" think redundancy (two lights).

not2bright

Enlightened
As you mentioned the X1 would be a good choice. Long runtime (flashlightreviews says 8h 22m to 50%) with good output. In fact even when the light gets to 50% it is still putting out as much or more light than the E0 or Infinity Ultra on a fresh cell.

The old X1, if you could find one, might be a good choice as well due to the "circle of light" beam from the optic. The old model also doesn't have a problem with the window falling out.

The new reflector model does put out a good deal more light. The light works fine with a missing window which most likely wont fall out. With a little contact cleaner on the inside of the tailcap and top of the back tube to ensure a good contact on the twisty this light is almost indestructable. Available with good anodize in silver or black.

The X1, IU, and E0 all could be nicely carried around the neck with a lanyard.

Last edited:

Spydie

Newly Enlightened
I'd also recommend that perhaps he consider taking a run of the mill, non-led mini-mag. Reason being is that in developing countries, (especially those bordering conflict) the white hue of an LED are apt to draw attention. Not to say that this will cause trouble, but its probably wiser to be the gray man. I'm sure he won't go wrong with any of the above mentioned lights, but its probably smart to carry one light that looks like what a torch should be to the uninitiated.

BTW, please thank your cousin on my behalf for the truly humanitarian work he's doing.

l1s125

Newly Enlightened
Spydie said:
I'd also recommend that perhaps he consider taking a run of the mill, non-led mini-mag. Reason being is that in developing countries, (especially those bordering conflict) the white hue of an LED are apt to draw attention. Not to say that this will cause trouble, but its probably wiser to be the gray man. I'm sure he won't go wrong with any of the above mentioned lights, but its probably smart to carry one light that looks like what a torch should be to the uninitiated.

BTW, please thank your cousin on my behalf for the truly humanitarian work he's doing.

I didn't think of that, that's a really good point. I think, even though it causes me pain as a flashaholic, I'm gonna get him the incan minimag for normal use... and an infinity ultra to wear around his neck for emergencies, or if the bulb blows.

Thanks for your input guys

speederino

Enlightened
If you are going to go with a stock minimag, take a look at the Nite-ize IQ switch so he can dim the beam and extend runtime.

l1s125

Newly Enlightened
stonehold said:
What kind of cells are available to him? Does he need a good wind up light?

He's pretty much limited to AA, or maybe AAA.

Good call with the IQ switch speederino, I'll get him one of those too.

So all things considered, I think minimag incan with IQ switch and a IU on a neck lanyard is the way to go.

Some good news, the UN are going to send in some observers to determine if they should send the peacekeepers back in, so by the time my cousin gets there in march, there may be an international military presence. Doctors Without Borders lost 14 doctors in the region last year. If you ask me, that's 14 too many. The UN shouldn't be taking peacekeepers out when violence escalates, they should be the last ones out, doing everything they can do to keep the peace.

...maybe I should get him body armour instead, that region is seriously f***ed up right now. I still can't believe he's going there... voluntarily.

spyderknut

Enlightened
Mini mag with IQ and LED (Nite Ize 1W lux if you can find it yet, 3 LED otherwise). Batteries last soooo much longer than with the stock bulb, brighter too. I think the tint will matter little as ubiquitous as LEDs have become in the past few years. China isn't just sending stuff to us. Get him about a hundred fauxtons to give out to the kids too.

OCEANBEAMER

Newly Enlightened

paulr

Flashaholic
For low attention and nighttime navigation, used a red led, not a white one. I have a red-led Fauxton on my keys for this purpose and it comes in handy even in my my mundane dweebish existence with nobody hunting me down or shooting at me.

I agree with the Infinity Ultra if it looks civilian enough. They still sell both white and red led models. Alternatively I still have a few original CMG Infinities that I've been sitting on but I guess I could part with one for a cause like this. They are dimmer and run even longer than the Ultra and are bombproof and the ones I have (light blue case) don't look military. Or the Peak Kilimanjaro is pretty much equal to the Arc AA except a little bit bigger. The brass or stainless versions might even be considered to look sort of "medical".

Either way, leave the silly incan Minimag at home.

walkabout

Newly Enlightened
What about the Princeton Tec Impact II? This is my trusted choice for solo mountain backpacking trips, where I have to balance weight, size and reliability.

It doesn't look military at all -- a translucent blue body with a sturdy pocket clip.

It's light enough to carry with you all the time, which makes it a great backup light. It runs for up to 50 hours on 4 AAAs. And it's tough -- mine has bounced onto concrete from 6 ft. more than once and kept working perfectly. Also, it's waterproof, which means you can wash it down with disinfectant soap without worrying.

Personally, I'd avoid the Mini-MagLEDs for this situation. They cut out without warning when the batteries start to get low.

A big "two thumbs up" to your cousin for taking on such a noble and hazardous task. I'm a big supporter of MSF/DWB and the work they do. They stay when the UN, Red Cross and NGOs have high-tailed it for cover.

Doug

R11GS

Newly Enlightened
Every time I've left the country to spend time in remote and/or "sketchy" areas, I've always had red light at the ready. Twenty years ago it would have been a mini-mag with a red lens (and plenty of spare bulbs and a spare unit). These days, I always have more than one red LED light at the handy for these kinda jaunts.